x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Are Pocket PCs Taboo?

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-06-25 11:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I believe I've read a few posts on the forums here that indicate a disdain for the Pocket PC. Is this in fact a taboo subject? I have three of them, and have great times with 'em, including internet via WiFi (although I'd sure like better battery life per charge). Am I relegated to hide in the shadows with Pocket PC in hand???
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2014-06-25 11:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I wouldn't say there's a taboo on pocket pcs; many members here own and use them, including me (iPAQ 110, Axim X3i). Consider it more of a preference for handheld pcs. HPCs are the main reason the site exists.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-06-26 12:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yikes, HPC Factor indeed. What was I thinking? :-)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-26 9:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The resistance to having too much PsPC/PPC discussion here was always to prevent the site from falling down the rabbit hole of trends. Every other Windows CE site became a PPC site, WinMo site and then generally went off for iOS or Android eventually. We never moved because we didn't allow discussion of these other devices to take over, reviews for PPC software didn't start appearing on the home page and moderators with explicit PPC interests never appeared.

We have had public discussions surrounding adding forums for PsPC, but outcomes from them have never really gone forward.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-26 12:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Personally I just never thought it was necessary to reinvent the wheel. There are so many PPC sites that specialize and focus on pocketpcs, that there was no real need to duplicate the info here.

Most all of us own them...I still do, and have owned many. I enjoy their aspects and abilities. I envy some of them and wish those traits had been applied to HPC devices.

I love to see which software can run on HPCs or be "modded" to do so. I've taken several NetCF applications made specifically for pocketpc and turned them into HPC apps.

Nope, talking about pocketpc devices is not a taboo...but it is not our mainstay...and our identity (infatuation) with HPCs is what makes us all special and unique!
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-06-26 11:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Very good points, thank you both. I can see why you remain focused on the hpc form factor. My dream was to see Windows CE continue to be developed, and to someday own something with the looks of a MobilePro 800, but loaded with all the features to enable it to handle today's web. And with all sorts of software available, including a full Word that could handle pictures. It's actually really strange to me that this didn't occur. I can't see how anyone could not be enticed by a "laptop" hpc that didn't have to be loaded down with full Windows, yet could do most of what a laptop can. The Cathena seemed at one point to think it might be that Windows CE laptop, but in reality I'm sure that as they tested prototypes they quickly found that Windows CE wasn't being given the attention it needed to be capable of modern day web browsing. I was quite shattered that the Cathena was abandoned, even if it wouldn't have been all I wanted in an hpc. I sort of knew that once the Cathena became vaporware, we'd never see another attempt. Sigh...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-06-27 2:28 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
And we hpc users certainly owe a debt to ppc for key app porting--long live isotherm, cmonex, and the great others that gave us Adobe and NetFront and...none of that would've started without the ppc.

And I've never owned one, the way I've never owned a phone without a keyboard

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-27 5:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And don't forget that a lot of Pocket PC apps just look way cooler on the big screen of the H/PC.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12