x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 620LX -- Wireless?

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Ranjit Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All,

I am curious to find out if a HP 620LX running on CE 2.0 can be configured to work in a 802.11b wireless home network. Please let me know.

best regards,
Ranjit
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 7:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ranjit,

There is a list of compatible 802.11b Adapters in our HCL:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

The answer is yes it can, just make sure you get an adapter that suits you needs (WEP, Infrastructure / Ad-hoc, International conformation etc)

EDIT: Please Do Not Double Post
 Top of the page
Ranjit Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Chris,

I am sorry for the duplicate posting.

What do you mean by adapters? Do you mean network cards? Now, I have a wireless card for my laptop that works fine. Will this also work with my HP 620LX. When I put it into the PCMCIA slot, the palmtop did not recognize the wireless network and connect automatically like it does with the laptop. Are there any additional software that I need to download. If so, which ones and from where?

Best regards,
Ranjit
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 1:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Like any hardware it needs a driver. If there's a CE2.00 one available then that'll be all you need.
If there isn't you are most likley out of lunk, unless you can find a WL100 CE2 driver & the card is WL100 chipped.

Have a look at the HCL.
 Top of the page
Ranjit Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your note.

Will the Compaq WL100 driver work with my IBM 802.11b PC Card Wireless LAN card? Is this driver compatible to Windows XP (desktop) and CE 2.0 (HPC)? What about the CISCO Aironet driver for SH3 processors or the LINKSYS WPC11 drivers for CE devices? Please let me know.

best regards,
Ranjit
 Top of the page
Ranjit Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 1:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Chris,

What do you mean by the card is "WL100 chipped"? Will my card say if it is WL100 chipped? Please let me know.

best regards,
Ranjit
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 8:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I cannot advise you as to whether or not it will work. I don't know what the chipset of the NIC is.
Don't worry about the desktop, Windows XP will sort itself out. You only need to worry about drivers for the H/PC.

The Linksys are the WL100 chip ones and the Cisco require a NIC with the Cisco chip.

The chip information may be in the manual otherwise you'll have to look it up on the internet.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, the Compact WL100 and Linksys cards use the Prism chipset.
Here's a list of many wifi adapters and their chipsets:
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

P.S. Sometimes you just gotta love the Linux people.
 Top of the page
PenelopePete
PenelopePete Page Icon Posted 2004-11-09 9:05 AM
#
I use a CISCO Aironet 340 series 11Mbps LAN adapter. My home network is a Netgear wireless setup, and everything works great. One major caveat: make sure you keep the 620LX AC power plug plugged in while you are using the wireless card. You can very quickly drain the battery, without even realizing it.

In any case, CISCO's website is great for drivers, etc. It took some tweaking to get it to work perfectly, but once it did, I had no problems browsing.
 Top of the page
mihaly
mihaly Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 6:40 AM
#
what do you think, a new battery quikly drain also?
(now i'd like to buy a 620lx to wifi, and the seller wrote me , that the batt. is new)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 7:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Battery performance will always be hit by the use of any additional hardware.
If it's a 5v card it will be hit hard. If it's a 3.3v card it will be better. The trick is not to keep it inserted when you don't need it.
 Top of the page
mihaly
mihaly Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 7:16 AM
#
can You tell me approximately how long i can wireless online?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 5:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Depends on the card, device, battery, drivers, ce version and also what you are doing.

If the answers are Low power, moden, new, recent, 4.2 and light surfing then *possibly* upwards of 5 hours.
 Top of the page
choyak
choyak Page Icon Posted 2004-11-14 9:09 PM
#
I attempted to get the SMC 2632W to operate in the 660LX but it steadfastly refused. I now ebayed the Cisco wireless card and we will see how it goes from there. I have a 660LX and a 620LX and I will return when my endeavors are completed

Sorry the first post gatesed!!!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-24 4:03 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I happen to use a cisco 350 with my jornada 720, and its a great card. For a while I was getting the battery life of a laptop (ick), but then I found out I could lower the transmission power. I lowered it from max (around 100mw) to 5mw. Luckily I have a very powerful access point, so I still get 11mb/s at 80%-100% signal strenght. My battery life is around 4 hours now, but my 9hr battery isn't very new, and even when the card is using no power, browsing the web constantly drives the cpu of these little machines to the max, which probably drains more power than anything else.
(Browsing the web on my 206mhz arm processor is slow, on an older hpc with a slower processor it must suck)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9