x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My XMas present

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-27 5:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, Christmas is over, and in lieu of getting a lump of coal, I decided to buy myself a present.

I got my first flat screen television. I've been using a standard CRT television since....well forever. The TV I have actually still works and looks like brand new, but you just miss out on the theater experiences with a standard tube TV.

Wo wo! I'm now right up there with the rest of you techogeeks!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-12-27 7:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not me - the two TVs I have are both the old cathode ray tube type. My girlfriend has a flat screen though. (I did just miss winning a 60" flat screen in a raffle at an Xmas party.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-27 8:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

See CEGeek....we are showing our age when we only now are changing over. I still have an old 9" color TV that works fine from the '70s. It's a JVC. Has channels 2-13 and the UHF band. Thing is so old that the only input are the two screws for attaching the antenna. No RCA jacks, RG7 cable input or anything....

I need to get rid of some stuff...as do you...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-12-27 9:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

My current TVs are just a few years old. It's been awhile, but I did have an old 9" Sharp black-and-white circa 1970, which even came with a huge battery pack for use on the road. Our family used to go to a fast-food restaurant and watch it while eating on weekends, and we took it to the beach once or twice. (It also had a glare-resistant screen cover.) That was my only TV when I first moved out on my own in the mid-'80s.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-27 10:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, I've been busy all day. I decided that I would redesign my living room wall. I went out and bought some heavy duty brackets to mount some adjustable shelves on and started hanging them. Then I installed a new outlet in the wall to plug the TV into when it gets here. Also going to rewire my cable wall connector...the idea is to make everything nice and pretty without a bunch of ugly wires. TV should get here next week, so when it is all done I'll post a picture of it all.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2014-12-31 5:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich Hawley - 2014-12-27 9:48 AM
I got my first flat screen television ... I'm now right up there with the rest of you techogeeks!

The newest TVs are now curved (concave) so I am sorry but flat is not quite up there!

Anyways just kidding... congrats on your new present!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-31 7:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, got the shelves hung, everything wired up...and it all seems to be working fine. Am a little pissed however. If you connect the TV via HDMI cable, you cannot use "close captioning." And my old trusty Magnavox DVD recorder/DVR recorder combo only has 480i output, so that reduces the high-res signal as well.

Guess I'll buy a 1080i DVD/DVR recorder in a few months...or a Blue Ray recorder if they make them or whatever. Anyway, looks decent, a real man-cave thing except my wife insists on a few pictures on the shelves...I was thinking booze bottles myself.

(tv2.jpg)

(tv1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tv2.jpg (231KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments tv1.jpg (376KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-12-31 8:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There isn't a single H/PC in those photos, what's wrong with you Hawley?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-31 8:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Uh...they are all in my computer room...all 6 of them...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-12-31 8:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

2 man caves?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2015-01-04 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My parents had a Sharp CRT until four years ago when they overhauled the telly setup...this involved a PS3 and a Wii. Now we can get HD channels and Netflix so we're generally up to date.

I have a 4:3 LCD TV, around 15" inch, but I barely use it cause it is mounted at a high angle to where I'm sitting, and I don't have a Freeview box to use the aerial with. If I ever get a TV I actually use properly it'll probably be a projector.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10