x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Largest arm based screen in hpc form factor?

1 2 3
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:45 PM
#
I agree with needing a trnasflective screen for visibility. My 6651 has the brightest screen I've ever seen, so any contenders will be measured against it. I had a Pencentra but didn't like the bulk.

I plan to build sun hoods around whatever I ultimately choose. I do know touchscreens are essential so that rules out most non hpc/tablet gear. I want to avoid hdd devices at all cost.

If I choose to run different programs then my 6651 is suitable, and the more I look at Ozi explorer the better it appears. That leaves me running either the arm versions of Pocketfms or GPSDash on something else. I suppose my E200 will do for awhile, crappy tiny screen and all

If you think of another suitable candidate machine add to the thread. TY
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wouldn't the simpad work with a serial GPS (so that maps can be on a CF)? i have no idea but it has a large screen, arm, etc...
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 10:09 PM
#
I dunno if the Simpad has a serial port. But I have decided that I'm going strictly with CF gps cards. No wiring woes or harnesses or special order connectors. CF flash and CF gps, simple and foolproof?

Off-topic a bit, does anyone know of a free download for Pen-x for 95/98? I already have an Amity and it's light and powerful enough to run my programs of choice. I figure if I go with a hdd device at any time the Amity will do instead of me spending more $$$ an another Win tablet or laptop. But I shoud do a clean install and I have no idea where my disk with pen-x services is.

I wish I could remember the name of the tablet I saw on Ebay last year. Some off brand but arm power and 128mb ram, built in wifi and plenty of slots. Oh well, I didn't need it then.

Well, I'm settled then. My 6651 as my main nav tool and my E200 as a backup, with my Amity prepped and on standby. Maybe I'll move the Amity into the 2nd slot if I start feeling more comfortable with hdd devices in the air.

Does anyone know of the affects of altitude on a touch display? I can't imagine any problems flying below 18,000 feet.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 7:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you talking about CIC PenX? The OEM application
http://www.cic.com/
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 9:20 AM
#
Yep, but they don't even list Pen-X at all, not even as disco'd. Mitsubishi has the same head in sand attitude. Hmmm, wayback machine. I've never tried there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 9:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ermm
http://www.cic.com/products/penx/

Fujitsu Siemens are another OEM client.
 Top of the page
no-success Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 10:15 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

this might be that device you said you saw on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219275929&category=3680&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

seems to meet all your specifications and the price isnt bad either.
 Top of the page
The Beakman Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That looks nice. I would take that over the SimPad any day but is the ROM OS flashable? The Simpad (at Least t5he one I bought) Can be flashed CE 2000, CE 4.1, or Linux. No serial port though.
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 2:09 PM
#
Errr, don't know how I missed the cic stuff.

That tablet is an updated version of what I saw IIRC. Weird, no bids and it ends tomorrow. Hmm, no shipping to Canada . I encounter that a lot

What oes everyone think? Other than indoor display only it seems like a great deal for a new item.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 5:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes it seems a very good price for what it is. I like how the cradle has all the keyboard and mouse and USB connections.

But considering your application, you might want to think about the size of this thing.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 8:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The Beakman - 2005-07-17 11:36 AM

That looks nice. I would take that over the SimPad any day but is the ROM OS flashable? The Simpad (at Least t5he one I bought) Can be flashed CE 2000, CE 4.1, or Linux. No serial port though.

Hi beakman, SL4 has a serial port, a few actually. The one that is user accessible is the luxemberg connector through which we sync with the pc. You may need a female-female adapter to plug in other peripherals for D9 plugs.
 Top of the page
The Beakman Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 12:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Right you are! I wasn't thinking of the sync cable and besides, I'm going by memory as I'm on the road. It's at home where I use it as a multi-remote control (Remote Control II).
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The Beakman - 2005-07-18 10:31 AM

Right you are! I wasn't thinking of the sync cable and besides, I'm going by memory as I'm on the road. It's at home where I use it as a multi-remote control (Remote Control II).

Oh you lucky man (or lady!)! ... my SL4 has a konked IrDA!! grrr
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

takwu - 2005-07-18 5:36 AM

But considering your application, you might want to think about the size of this thing.

I agree, it's too large for the cockpit, but it'd make a great house unit. The vendor hasn't responded to my em either, not looking good
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nm. I now have a second 6651. My searching is over.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12