x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jsngrimm Page Icon Posted 2015-01-08 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just put a 250MB PCMCIA hard drive (not storage card, actual spinning platter HDD) in my Itronix T5200 with Windows CE 2.11 and so far it works great Just wondered if anyone else uses an actual hard drive in a handheld pc device? Do they suck too much battery life? So far mine hasn't used to much extra battery (the device has a big li-ion battery) and spins down automatically whenever I turn it off
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2015-01-08 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Microdrives (Compact Flash cards with magnetic disks) used to be popular when solid state storage was expensive, indeed they were used in some early iPods, but as the latter technology surpassed them in capacities and became more affordable Microdrives became redundant. They haven't been made for almost a decade and TBH I can't see why anyone would use them as they use more power and are destined to fail faster than a flash version.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-08 12:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I guess you use what you have. I've had both the micro drives in CF format and pcmcia hard drives. Also had the zip pcmcia media drives that held 40mb each. I used them all before CF memory cards got cheap.

You use what you have...just understanding that any mechanical hard drive is going to be more prone to vibration error/damage than a solid state device.
 Top of the page
jsngrimm Page Icon Posted 2015-01-08 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Mainly I am using the HDD instead of flash because I had it laying around and no other pcmcia stuff, it originally was the internal hard drive of a very old Itronix military grade rugged laptop.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-08 7:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Always better to get some use out of something than just let it sit around collecting dust...

BTW, I was trying to think of the name of the 40mb drive...the Zip Clik! was what I was thinking of. Here is a lot of 10 brand new ones for only $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IOMEGA-Clik-Clik-40-C40-T2-PC-Card-Drives-LOT-of-10-NEW-/121347661317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c40e25e05
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 13