x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Handheld Drivers Archive?

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 10:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Zapper,

I've dealt with your HCL submissions, thanks for those. Around half were already in there. The bricks took a while to sort out.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks Zapper! Just a draft, hopes that it makes things easier...

An update: Hardware page has been updated! C:Amie is ZE Admin!!

btw, what's the diff between the "Hardware Compatibility List for Handheld PCs" link and the "Improve your CE life: Upgrade your hardware" link?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 11:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

grrr ... the Pretec CE.NET 4.1 driver is not updated ...
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 12:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks C:Amie. Wish our sysadmin was as quick and responsive!

Minor correction most likely to sleepy posting on my part: The Kingston 5gb PCMCIA hard drive, and the Toshiba PCMCIA 2gb PCMCIA hard drive are both compatible with the MP780 as well.

Edited by Zapper 2005-07-16 12:57 PM
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 12:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Any time, Sir. Know that I will be right Behind you all the way.

It's safer there.

Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 5:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Chris, was submitting a few more things to the HCL and noticed that the submissions page has been significantly retooled. Fabulous work, there!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 7:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Snappy!,

Yep, it's been updated. Figured we'd do a feature on ROM upgrading, hence the big pink banner.
What's the different, nothing. 2 reasons for that. By the time I got that far down the page it was 2am and I wanted my bed, and secondly that was the first graphic I made for HCL v1.0 and it's sentimental, so will find another home for it before changing it.

I've not had any submissions to the HCL about Pretec and CE4. I tend to rely on more than two people saying something works from 'general chatter' (especially with WiFi) before entering it - relying on general chatter and linksys back on HCL v2 caused me one big headache when it turned out the Linksys drivers didn't work on 90% of installs. But as it's you

Zapper,

Again thanks for the new HCD's, I'll get them sorted. Toshiba drives updated.

I revamped the entire submission engine (it was the v2.5 one still), and also the admin output (not that you'll be seeing that , and Snappy! you'll be pleased because it's all in arrays ). So that was my job for the day... aside from using my sixth sense to involuntarily get drawn towards a building that caught alight just in time to put the fire out before it took hold....

... but that's another story.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-07-17 1:17 AM

I've not had any submissions to the HCL about Pretec and CE4. I tend to rely on more than two people saying something works from 'general chatter' (especially with WiFi) before entering it - relying on general chatter and linksys back on HCL v2 caused me one big headache when it turned out the Linksys drivers didn't work on 90% of installs.

well i think it is a little inconsistent then.. if two people say something works, that's more than one person submitting something into the HCL...
90% of the linksys installs didn't work? on the same devices, same OS? and 10% worked.. then someone just has to figure out how to make the remaining 90% work too. because if it worked once, it will again if you find out the trick. my humble opinion (but the general prism drivers are better anyway..)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If people take the trouble to submit to the HCL, I take the time to research it. It's relative. On the flip side, I don't spend my life researching other people's hardware, so go with consensus on communal experience.

On Linksys the simple fact of the matter is that do you want to be the one responsible for handling all the inexperienced users, walking them through the process of getting the drivers to work, when there's registry issues, software conflict issues, then TCP/IP and WEP issues.
Especially when you don't have one of the things.

No? Well me either.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you don't need to research it, if you trust the posters, but of course if you don't you're right then
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As I've said before, it's not about trust, it's about liability.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

... about the submission thingie, maybe have thread or place for people to post compatible hardware with their HPCs. That way, those who are totally on their wits end may still try out even if there is only one fella on the same machine that works.

Maybe we can even limit to registered users posting to this thread?
Once a few user post success on the same peripheral, it can be added to the HCL.
What do you all think?

Oh and on the array thingie ... it would be a shame if it does not see daylight ... hehe ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 9:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

lol

It's not worth the time, why spend time and resources tracking threads on the forum, when original posters can spend the time it takes to type a BBS post out submitting it to the HCL instead, and we go through it here.

The HCL is designed to contain not only hardware that works, but those that plain well don't and those with problems. All are welcome to go through the submission form.

At some point in the future it's concieveable that registered board users could leave their own comments in the HCL, against a HCD for a specific device, or even a deivce rating to tally successes and failures - or user satisfaction.
It's not on the work-in-progress table though, just an idea.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 10:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2005-07-16 9:12 PM

The HCL is designed to contain not only hardware that works, but those that plain well don't and those with problems. All are welcome to go through the submission form.

Excellent thinking. A negative result can be and often is just as important as a positive. One has to be a bit more wary of reporting a negative though, due to various factors which may induce failure when in fact the proper procedure would result in a positive.

Then there is the question of a bit of hardware being compatible with say 2.11 but only for Arm, with no drivers available for Mips.. Is that currently represented somewhere?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 7:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In the notes section, where I've only discovered single cpu drivers, it has been listed.

Out of interest. Have you actually looked at the HCL?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.230 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9