x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

With the "right" dlls, and a few simple steps, I got Adobe Reader 2.0 to work.

So why 1.0?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 7:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

... because I finished working on 1.0 two weeks before they released 2.0 and have no intention right now to create a new version
 Top of the page
wingman
wingman Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 9:03 PM
#
Care to share which dll's were the "right" ones and what the simple steps were?

Was the target machine using a MIPS processor? Thanks!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 10:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sure... first of all, I got it working on my Jornada 728, which is ARM. I don't think Adobe Reader 2.0 was ever compiled for MIPS.

I got the dlls from the Todo Pocket PC forums. I used the mfc they used for NetFront, the aygshell and doclist from their "100% menus" setup. That's about all I dare to say, as I really do not know how legal these dlls are.

The Reader won't install directly; after you run the setup, you need to copy the cab file over and install it on the device.

Hex edit the exe if you want to rename the mfc.

The first time you run the Reader sucessfully, you need to accept a license agreement, which is in an invisible screen, at least on my setup But you do see its title on the task bar. At that point, press tab twice, and press enter (educated guess, really). You just accepted the license you couldn't read. It won't "show" again.

If you run the Reader and open file, it will start at the folder where the Reader is. I guess it couldn't figure out how to get to My Documents. Luckily the pdf file type is registered, so you can double click the files from explorer to launch the Reader instead.

As with other PPC software, you won't see everything in dialog boxes (configuration etc.) unless you use Nyditot. And to close it, alt-tap the taskbar.
 Top of the page
wingman Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 11:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the tips. The machine I am targeting is MIPS. I have a lot to learn about the differences between MIPS and ARM but don't mind experimenting. I'll report (here) any successes. Thanks again.
 Top of the page
atco22
atco22 Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 10:33 AM
#
takwu - 2004-11-06 6:22 PM

With the "right" dlls, and a few simple steps, I got Adobe Reader 2.0 to work.

So why 1.0?

Hi, can you please share step-by-step how you did it?

I was using a 620, upgraded to 660 by means of ROM upgrade chip many years ago, after that, I switched to Pocket PCs, and now, 4 pocket pcs later, I am back to HPC, using a J720 now.

Lost touch quite a bit...

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sure... it's right there in one of my replies above
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 5:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

takwu you're so mean

You could at least tell them which dll's they need to swap out
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 5:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah. what we want to know is the name and the size (in bytes) of the dlls. a big bunch of THANKS
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 6:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Now that would be telling

My Personal opinion is stay with 1.0. Smaller footprint.

I've got all the files compiled for release like with the 1.0 version. Just have not built the cab.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

could you help me? which dlls are needed? i really would like to try 2.0 even if i'll stay with 1.0 in the end
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I thought that old post was quite clear already

It's just the usual files you need for most PocketPC software. First download them following the old post's direction.

Then aygshell.dll and doclist.dll can just be placed inside the Windows folder, as they don't replace existing files.

mfcce300.dll is a bit tricky. The one I got from the archieve I mentioned was already named mfcce301.dll, which can be placed in the Windows folder too. But to make Adobe use it instead of the standard mfcce300.dll, you would need to _hexedit_ the Adobe Reader exe file. Hexediting in itself is another subject. If anyone needs more help on that part, you can either search for answers in other threads, or ask me again.

The rest of the stuff specific to setting up Adobe Reader (instead of generic PPC app tricks) are all in the old post. Really
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 6:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry, but it wasn't clear to me. i already have a lot of fake dllls, several versions of aygshell dlls, etc. etc... one is good for one software, another is good for another. that's why i'm asking.
thanks for the exact file size information in advance!

about hexediting... i tried it only once, with netfront and it turned out it wasn't needed at all. then i hacked another program and it didn't need hexediting either.
is it necessary for acrobat reader?
another thing is, you don't need to place the dlls into windows folder, it's enough to have them in the program's directory. it's the case at least with netfront, acrobat reader 1.0 and destinator (a map software). it's important sometimes because they can conflict with each other or with other programs... (for example, acrobat reader with CEAgenda) and then you'd need hexediting but that's much more complicated than to just place the dlls into the right folder.

so i don't really understand what's all this about hexediting and windows folder. maybe some programs definitely require it? i'm confused...

thanks

Edited by cmonex 2005-02-01 6:20 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 7:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The edits are there to save you disk space.
At 400K a pop for each MFC library, that is a lot of space to be signing over to an app on app basis.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for your answer! i see now it isn't an issue for me, as i have an 512 MB CF and i install everything on the card.. this practice is even more memory saving because i don't have to use precious RAM for the dlls.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14