x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Agere Reference Driver Library (CESD-H-0031)

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 7:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Group,

The perpetual and some might say inexorable WiFi problem (the scourge of the board Admin) never seems to relent. We are trying to take pro-active steps to try and address this as best we can using what we have available.

The second one of these, this time aimed at anyone with a Agere manufactured chipset.

What is a Chipset, does my WiFi adapter have one?
For those who don't know, Agere is the creator of an 802.11b controller chip.
Your Wifi adapter will likely not be branded as Agere, so even though you may have a Belkin, Proxim, Compaq WiFi adapter what we're saying is that it is based on an Agere chipset.
In the same way that a car manufacturer doesn't physically make every component of their cars - they buy in parts from suppliers; the same is true of WiFi adapters.

How do I tell what chipset my Wifi Adapter uses?
There are other chipset manufacturers. So how do you know if the WiFi card you have contains an Agere chip?

The answer is we hand you over for a few minutes to the Linux / Unix community who have out of need created some extensive lists of Adapter and Chipset combinations. There are many examples of this if you Google around, one such example is:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-January/070105.html

What does this mean for me?
Ultimately, if you have a Agere chipset WiFi adapter, and if the branded manufacturer (Belkin, Proxim, Compaq etc) does not have properly working drivers, or for that matter does not have ANY drivers available for the Handheld PC. There is a good chance that by using the Reference Drivers written by Agere, your card may be given a new lease of life in your H/PC.

The drivers can be downloaded from the CESD
View: CESD-H-0031

I hope that this repository is useful to some of you.
What I would really appreciate back from the community on this, is details of BOTH successes and failures (irrespective of whether they are in the HCL), information on why you are using the reference drivers over the Manufacturers ones..

Lastly, as you can see on this one the back catalogue, unlike the Prism one is a little sparse. If anyone out there happens to have a Agere (any version) reference driver or indeed a reference driver for and H/PC version under Any Chipset that I haven't yet listed, I'd really welcome the details from you to add to the document.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8