x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A need for a larger screen

Szantai Page Icon Posted 2015-12-08 8:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everybody, I am glad to have found this forum. I am a proud user of a beloved Jornada 720 and I love its booting time and battery power.
Still, I am a fallible human being and I need more and more.
Could you please recommend me those devices which boast with Jornada 720's abilities but have a larger screen?
I do thank you answers in advance.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2015-12-08 4:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The NEC MobilePro 900 has the same OS, runs on the same processor, and has a slightly bigger screen. The keyboard is much more comfortable for typing.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-08 5:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

But while the screen is larger and easier to see...it still has the same resolution of 640x240. A Psion Netbook Pro will give you a newer operating system, CE.NET, better web browser (IE6.0)...but is not as small or pocketable as a J720. And that applies to the MP900C as well.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-12-08 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Doesnt the mp 900 have a faster xscale instead of a strong arm?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-08 10:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think PDXMark meant ARM compatible...but you are correct too...they are different in processing speed, though not much to brag about in real world usage...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-12-09 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Usedhandhelds has a pretty interesting deal on the PSION Teklogix NetBook Pro:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSION-Teklogix-NetBook-Pro-NEW-IN-BOX-with-Accessories-UsedHandhelds-/371479803958?hash=item567debf836:ge8AAOSw7hRWORBH

I poked around the hardware section here and saw that perhaps the Ambicom WL54-CF might work with CE 4.2 and modern day routers (providing wifi g). Is that a correct assumption?

Jake

Edited by Jake 2015-12-09 3:27 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-09 6:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I believe so...I have several CF wifi cards that work with my 900C and 802.11G
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-12-09 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So, Rich, you're able to access XFinity, Verizon, etc. routers (WPA encryption) with your 900C?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-09 8:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not all 802.11G cards work the same, and there are different levels of WPA encryption that figure into the equation as well.

For instance, with the WCF54G on my 900C it would only connect in "B" mode.

With the Ambicom WL54-CF card, I could only get it to work if I used the Cmonex flash. She must have loaded some driver support for the card in her build. It would work with my home Netgear router using WPA-PSK security, but not WPA2.

Using the Samsung MagicLan SWL-2610c, I was able to connect to any G-band router, but only if it used WEP. If the router used WPA at all, I didn't connect.

Lastly, using a USB wifi is a hit and miss thing as well. My RT3070 stick works okay on my CE5 and CE6 devices in "G" mode, actually it works okay in "N" mode as well...but only on some devices.

My USR MaxG works okay on some of my CE5 or CE6 devices that support RNDIS, and it supported WPA-PSK and WPA2 protocols on at least one CE6 device.

Chris wrote a great CESD on it here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0029.asp
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-12-09 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for the overview, Rich. Sounds as if getting the Psion Netbook to connect to something stronger than WEP might be tricky. I don't even know if cmonex's flash would work with a Psion. As an aside, she figured a way--with others' collective help--to hack the winmo side of the HTC Shift x9500 and let it install cabs and make it into a real phone. Of course, she provided detailed instructions and perfect little exe's to pull this off. I miss her.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9