x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What other forums do you visit?

Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-03-06 2:20 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

It's kind of quiet in here of late. Not surprising given the non-existent state of the HPC market, but I know you people must lurk about in other places. So where are they? What else are you all interested in?

I am "Shuswap" at CrackBerry and webOS Nation, and "Omineca" at thinkpads.com. Yeah. I'm that guy. The one who single-handedly kills off technologies by taking an interest in them.

Mobi: Harbinger of Failure
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-03-06 7:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I use Quora a lot recently, not actually a forum but more of a Q&A site.

I use my real name there and answer a lot of search engine related questions.
Search engine has been my area of interest since back in 2003.

I am also really into High Performance Computer topics, and go to HPCwire.com (note that it's the same HPC acronym but different meaning... sigh...)

And something I do as a hobby, but not recently so much as I am busy with work is: RaspberryPi 2 & Parallella. I sometimes go to Parallella's forum to ask questions and view a lot of threads.

Edited by stingraze 2016-03-06 7:38 AM
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2016-03-06 9:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Only TheRadioBoard and still the slow but steady HPLX mailing list (yes, those still extis) for the 200LX and it's predecessors - although much of it is 'off topic' nowadays.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-06 9:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Other forums? None...
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-03-07 1:52 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Seriously, Rich? No other boards on the side? How are you filling your retirement?

The parallella board looks interesting stingraze. I've thought about getting a raspberry pi before, but I always seem to get sidetracked.

I went and checked out theradioboard, michelbel. It always amazes me that whatever a person's interests, there is a forum, and thousands upon thousands of posts. A while ago I wanted to get my rotary phone working, and I found a forum for telephone enthusiasts. Sure enough, I found a VOIP box through the forum that allows me to dial out again.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-03-07 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
michelbel,

Are you using any kind of syncing PIM with your HPLXs? I could probably live with Word for DOS 6.0, but the syncing issues give me pause.

As for forums, I poke in http://www.pocketables.com/ for aging advice on my Sony Vaio P and MBook M1. Their help is great, but mostly 5+ years old. Not nearly as active as HPCFactor, which I hit the most.

Jake
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 6:37 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I really wanted a VAIO P when they first came out. The green one. I know, I know, the colour shouldn't matter. But I wanted the emerald green. *wipes away drool*

However, the prices never really declined enough. They're still going for $400 CAD plus on eBay. And the green model is a unicorn these days. So no VAIO P for me.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 8:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's alright Rich, they're only teasing. There aren't really "other" forums.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The first generation Vaio P is pretty snappy, as long as you use an OS that is in the same time-frame as the hardware. For instance, I got Ubuntu 10.04 (the last version before the dreaded Unity) up and running, with suspend even.

But there's a battery drain in the first gens, even when the machine is off, much like Asus EEE's. On pocketables.com, a guy recently posted a BIOS hack to prevent this drain. I girded my loins and actually pulled it off. But the drain was still there, then I found a Japanese blog that said these BIOS settings work (only available through the hack). I set them, I rebooted, and my month-old machine bricked. Power button worked, but it wouldn't even go to BIOS. I broke open the machine and disconnected the CMOS battery, hoping to reset the BIOS, but no deal. I was so, so upset.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 7:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Been there...done that...any chance your bios chip is socketed?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting idea, Rich--which is why it didn't occur to me

Googling it extensively did not turn up anything about socketed BIOS. The hack essentially put an extra page onto the BIOS, lots of new choices.

These are the instructions I followed (excuse the google Japanese translation):

"By the way, the changes are as follows.
Power in the OS options Advanced, sleep ? wake timer to disable the permission of the
BIOS in
FACP - RTC S4 Wakeup: Disabled
PCI Clock Run: Enabled
Quickly S4 Resume: Disabled

PCI Express Root Port jackpot to the 1 to Disabled Arikamo also by people. "

Seemed rather harmless, if only because these were clear options in BIOS, but it's a black screen, and won't boot to usb since it won't go to BIOS. Hard to believe that options in BIOS would brick it right off, but there you have it.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-09 10:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So hitting F2 during boot won't even let you back into Bios so you can enable USB booting...too bad.
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-03-10 12:08 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah. That really sucks. I wouldn't imagine that parted out motherboards are very common either.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-03-10 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

No, F2 does nothing Usually, BIOS brick the machine when you've done something outside the process, not when you're in BIOS. Very strange.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9