x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Looking for recommendations...

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am looking for a H/PC with a screen as big as or bigger than my Casio PA 2400U but it must be win ce 3.0 (which I think means 2.11 or 2.12??) My casio is only ce 2.0 and cannot be upgraded. My other requirement is that it run on AA batteries. Monochrome or color are OK. With or w/o keyboard also OK. I want to pop a cdma X card into it to do mobile surfing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a model that meets these requirements?

T
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 1:21 PM
#
When you say a bigger screen, do you mean in physical dimensions or in resolution? As well, what kind of CPU are you looking for?

From what I can tell a MobilePro 790 might fit the bill, as it's WinCE 3.0 with a 640x240 screen, and it can be run off AA batteries with the correct adapter (though I never use mine).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 3:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Windows CE 3 means... er, Windows CE 3
Windows CE 2.11 and 2.12 are different versions of the OS.

Windows CE 2.11 = H/PC Pro
Windows CE 2.12 = Forget about it
Windows CE 3.0 = HPC2000

Timeline: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The PA 2400(U) is intriguing. The size looks pretty good for an ebook and that its monochrome makes it even more pleasing! Hence the AA batts ... which should mean it could last a long time (think days or even weeks?)... unfortunately I cannot seem to find any site selling it ...
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 5:27 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It seems that if I want to use my 2400U my only option is going to be to buy a telephone that has infrared and let it talk to my PDA. Is this difficult? I know that infrared is line of sight. I believe the device is 2.01, so has the faster infrared with it.

T
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

infrared modem? (plain 56K modem with an infrared port) good idea it should be compatible with everything.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The 2400U will work with pcmcia modems, no problem. The goal here is wireless...3G or cdmax or high speed gsm (I am in China and all three of these standards are fighting for coverage). The need is to be able to use lots of down town - riding busses and trains, or waiting for them, in a productive way.

Now...if I could just get a GSM or a 3G or cdmax to work in ce 2.0.....that would really be awesome! I already have plans for the mother of all battery packs to make it work for hours - almost days...I have been told that a mobile phone with these capabilities and infrared would be a good match but then i would not be able to talk on the phone while surfing...and would have to deal with yet another battery that would need recharging...also, if I could find a 2400W, win ce 2.11 I have been told that I would have more luck seeking the kind of pcmcia card I want.

Do you think a pcmcia card is more likely to work with an older version of win ce? the 2400 has both a pcmcia card slot and CF card. It is my preference to use the CF card for memory...it simplifies my life because my digicam uses cf cards, the mp3 player I want to get uses cf cards, my ppc uses a cf card and sd card, etc. cf as memory is the common denominator in all of them....I know, I know...u r thinking "dream on!"

T

Edited by pengyou 2005-07-24 3:13 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you can dream, this is possible in reality too
i mean.. CF shouldn't be any problem!
and you can get 3G for your 2400U, but you need to use a mobile phone for that. you can have two phones, one dedicated to data transfer to your hpc, and the other for talking
i doubt there's a pcmcia gsm/gprs/3G card that will work with ce 2.0... so you'll need to put up with recharging more batteries it is what you want anyway isn't it? a palm a hpc etc... for your long journeys
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10