x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

1 2 3
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 11:12 PM
#
I know this is still off topic but it should be my last question - and it's the most important one IMO..

Wally, how does the size of the keyboard on the 6651 compare to the 780/790 keyboard? I don't think I could go any smaller than the 790's keyboard.. it's just so comfortable
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 11:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wally, thanks for the info. Yes, I quite agree with your sentiments. If it serves it's purpose, then it's right. And right now, HPC2.11 is adequate. I think I'll be staying with the MP780 for a while longer until I can find a decent deal on either an MP790 or an MP900.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-07-19 4:49 AM

I'd like to take this time and say how much I've been wanting a 6651 over the past few weeks because of your posts... I'm still contemplating getting one and if the money becomes available over the next month (highly unlikely, I'm very much in debt) I may pick one up to see what the fuss is all about

same here for some months now but i don't have the money and i won't for a lot of time
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Zapper - 2005-07-19 3:04 AM

Unfortunately, the J72x series is sort of out. I'm not sure if it will be easy enough to look at without bifocals, like the MP, and I have big grease monkey hands. The Mobilepro's keyboard is just about the smallest I can use comfortably.

don't worry, the screen is easily readable! it is like my tft monitor for example. or like a qvga ppc. but unlike a (really unreadable) vga ppc in real (or how they say it) vga mode
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Zapper - 2005-07-19 3:14 AM

DSTN.. Do you get a lot of ghosting? I can see where a faster cpu or even specific multimedia extensions will not help you there at all..

But if it is tolerable, I suppose it would be better than an INtolerable in-flight movie..

well it's just like the dstn on your 780 i guess.
it is tolerable of course
 Top of the page
toekneeb Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 3:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

All,

had to put in my opinion here as i currently own a J720, a Sharp HC-7000(AKA an Intermec 6651) and a MP780 (Yes I am greedy I saw the thread in the forum and decided i needed to test all 3!)

Ok keyboards, if you have big hands forget the jornada, although i love its size its not much use when typing in long docs, you could however get a newton keyboard, and the software it needs but doesn't this negate the size/portability advantage?

MP780's keys are great, there of an ok size but not as respounsive as the sharp/intermec. I do find i make less mistakes with the NEC machine. (shame the whole thing maybe just too big!)

But my fav maybe the sharp/intermec, the keys size are a nice compromise between the other two. Like the jornada it has a positive feel to it, maybe not as springy as the 720 but as the keys aren't as big as the 'pro slightly more mistakes are made. Not too sure about the battery/wrist rest however

When it comes to screens the TFT 7000/6651 wins no question its the best size for web and word processing and you don't have to scroll to see whole items like you do on the others.

The others are quite close, the smaller 720 is sharper but the 790 is more readable both are grainy compared to the sharp

BTW I have thin long fingers so my keybaord opinion may not count 4 zapper

can't comment on the OS as they ALL use HPC 2000
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

for me, the 720's keyboard is good for even longer documents too but that's me (no big hands, that's for sure)
and the MP900 (probably the same as 780) keyboard is ok regarding responsiveness. (of course not as responsive as the 72x but it's still absolutely no problem)

toekneeb, is it a 780 or 790 or upgraded 780?
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 6:02 PM
#
Lol, I've started a sub-cult within the cult.
I can't comment on MP keys as I've never used one. I gather they are a tad larger than the 6651, but I'm not sure. I find the feel and durability of the 6651 board is really good. I can touch type at near normal speed but my hands aren't potatos attached to carrots

For the OS I know I can never go back now to pre-hpc2k, but that's me. OTOH, I don't see any need to move forward either. I *thought* .net held solutions for me but after more homework, not so. I have all I need on this platform.

Yes, I'm dissapointed that Softmaker is dropping MIPS and is probably the first of the last mips developers to start bailing, but by the time the words "mips" is history my 6651 will either have fallen apart or I will have moved on. Perhaps not provided I remember to use the right tool for the job.

Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10