x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ps2 keyboard on Siemens SIMpad SL4

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi there,

I am thinking of using a ps2 FEMALE <-> 9DIN MALE adapter to convert a ps2 keyboard so that it can plug directly to the luxemberg cable with its 9DIN FEMALE plug.

For now, I am going to write a simple app to listen on the comm port for wince *gasp*. This should give me the raw keyboard scan codes coming in from the keyboard which I will use to send key strokes to the wince system.

Of cos, if there is a ready solution, it would be great too! Short of getting a $50+ iBiz keyboard, I hope this will work.

I know you can use the belkin ir keyboard as well, but my ir on the SL4 is dead (I think) and I believe repairing it could be more expensive than the iBiz keyboard.

Any ideas or comments appreciated!

The adapter is found here ...
Serial Mouse Adapter
DB9 Male/MiniDin 6 Female
http://www.viking-tech.com/Adapters.htm
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 12:27 PM
#
Elegant solution to your problem. Do you have *any* way to check the Sim IRDA?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wally - 2005-07-21 10:27 AM

Elegant solution to your problem. Do you have *any* way to check the Sim IRDA?

well, I opened it up a couple of times, and even wanted to transplant the Ir module (transmit/receive block) with one from my broken Sony Clie PEG-SL10, but found that the one from Clie has only 7 pins while the SL4's module has 8 pins. I reckon they may be sharing a common ground for the Clie's module, but unfortunately, the existing solder head for the soldering iron is too massive for this clinical task. So I am considering what I would deem a *simpler* solution, although I would still like to fix the IrDA.

As the process I mentioned above requires just a physical/electrical adaptor which is somewhat available, the "tough" part is just the software app/driver to simulate the keystrokes, something that is relatively easy for me.

But as I mentioned, I would love to hear alternatives. And if there is any cheap way of fixing the IrDA, I would jump on it!

On the other hand, I cannot be too sure if the IrDA controller or the IrDA module or the intermediate circuitry is broken. From what I know, the SA1100 has built in support for IrDA, so does not require an additional IrDA controller. It just appears as a COM port, but I could be wrong. Since the loading of apps to open and listen to the COM ports appear to work for OBEX, but fail on detecting peer IrDA devices, I am inclined to believe that the Ir (LED) module itself is broken. Either that or the circuitry is broken.

This is what I've found through troubleshooting so far. What do you think?
 Top of the page
finfin Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 12:30 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'd like to know how your application worked out for you. This sounds like a great thing to have. I can find PS2 keyboards everywhere anound here! Maybe you would share it with us.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

SNAPPY!, have you tried one of these? I picked this one up for less than a tenner and works like a normal keyboard/HID.

When/if I get my 800/880 as well, it should work with no problems with both. After all, it is USB1.1. I know your idea may not be using the USB port, but Belkin do an excellent (USB2) credit card size hub. 3 ports though!

Anyway, I brought my PS/2 -> USB converter for my laptop, because, guess what? It has no "friggin'" PS/2 PORT! (3 usb instead!). So, I perswaded my father to pay less than I think a tenner for this converter and it works. It powers my PS/2 Wireless mouse charger AND CHARGES the batteries!

It powers this lot too!

And the laptop is on low battery warning. (a 30 minute session in Trainz using one British Rail Class 25 "Rat" and one British Rail Class 37 "Tractor" loco, pulling about 5 Suburban Mk1s for demostration reasons. - By the way, ignore the "background clutter", the ripped out page from a timetable book, for First Hampshire Bus Service 63 Havant <-> Fareham, RAIL magazine from 01/02/2006 - 14/01/2006 edition, "Race to the North" and Railway Modeller - First one I brought for years - Feb 2006 edition! Oh, my laptop bag and Novatech mouse mat, found in a craft bin at college!)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 7:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

finfin - 2006-02-10 10:30 AM

I'd like to know how your application worked out for you. This sounds like a great thing to have. I can find PS2 keyboards everywhere anound here! Maybe you would share it with us.

Hi finfin, unfortunately I found on some sites that the PS2 and serial keyboard are quite different beast, except for the physical QWERTY layout. They use a different protocol, albeit simple compared to others, and hence would need some intermediate code to 1) Do low level PS2->Serial translation or 2) PS2 keyboard scancode vs Serial kb scancode if you are using a serial keyboard.

In any case, I got detracted and went on a trip, got back, cleared up my handhelds and now am left with only the J720.

I believe someone got a Belkin infra-red keyboard to work with the SL4, but for me, the irda intermittently went on strike, so I could not even test that out!

Sorry about it.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 10:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah well I have one of these too because my laptop (Vaio picturebook) has no PS/2 ports either.

But the SIMpad SL4 does not have USB host
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12