x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How Install floppy 1.44 to a x86 image??

Riclamer
Riclamer Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 10:47 AM
#
Hi..
I´m creat a x86 image to my console.... and i need include the physical drive floppy 1.44..!!

i´m using the PlatForm Builder 4.2...

i already as included:

- FAT file system
- Hive-Based Registry

Please.. help me...
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 1:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello Rick. Now that's actually a very interesting question. I take it you're creating a Windows CE.NET 4.2 on an X86 processor? I know that there are several X86 based tablets floating around, but software support for them seems to be rather thin. The plus side though is that there are X86 .NET ROM images available for download that you could take a look at. Do a google search, and also search the forums.

This might not be the right forum to ask for support in that particular project though. Have you checked the MSDN Knowledgebase?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 1:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hum...
Just to clarify here, are you using a CEPC i.e. a PC box or physical Tablet Hardware?
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 2:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You know... The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.. Install CE.NET 4.2 on an otherwise 'unusable' old laptop.. A good way to recycle some of these things and prolong their useful lifetimes. The problem though, as always, is driver support for the hardware...
 Top of the page
Riclamer
Riclamer Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 2:33 PM
#
OK.... The console is a CPU K6/2 500MHZ whit 128mb ram and HD 100MB.

My image actually does not have support access "A:" .... because my image is not configured to mount the floppy 1.44...

i know that it can work, but i don´t know how...

Can anybody help-me???
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-22 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Zapper - 2005-07-22 12:12 PM

You know... The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.. Install CE.NET 4.2 on an otherwise 'unusable' old laptop.. A good way to recycle some of these things and prolong their useful lifetimes. The problem though, as always, is driver support for the hardware...

That's what I thought of doing ... instantOn PC instead of using XP! But it took too much trouble ... at least for me.

I think I can bear with a 10~20sec boot up from hibernation resume.
 Top of the page
Riclamer
Riclamer Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 9:07 AM
#
I find in website VIA a drive to add to Plataform Builder to enable floppy drive 1.44 look.. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=21&CatID=2350

thanks...

Resolved Problem
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 7:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Glad you got it sorted, despite the off-topic ramblings here

1 problem Snappy!, CEPC's aren't instant on. They have to byte swap and can't use S1 or S3 power management. Heck, they can't even make use of the AXT auto PSU shutdown.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-07-25 5:18 PM

Glad you got it sorted, despite the off-topic ramblings here

1 problem Snappy!, CEPC's aren't instant on. They have to byte swap and can't use S1 or S3 power management. Heck, they can't even make use of the AXT auto PSU shutdown.

ok ... so, one more reason to simply use WindowsXP with hibernation. ... were you referring to the ATX PSU?

hmmm ... maybe embedded XP for desktop instead?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is it so horrible having to wait for 20-30 (40-50-60-...) secs for XP to boot up? i think the wait is worth it! and if i don't want to sit in front of the PC for a long time then i just take my hpc out and then i don't have to wait ...
though often i don't turn my PC off at all.. it's just easier this way.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 8:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Different applications, mate. An HPC is a Vespa, a PC is a freight train.

The Vespa you can hop in, fire up and take a quick trip for light groceries, and you can park almost anywhere. Or do a slow tour along the countryside. You don't take it cross country unless you're a masochist.

The freight train takes a half hour to get started, but can go a lot faster cross-country and pulls massively more tonnage. They each have their purpose and place in the scheme of things.

Now I'll be the first to admit having felt frustration at the limitations of my NECs, but then I was asking it to do things it wasn't really meant for. But it's game to try! Frankly, either waiting for Tiny Tim to run through a big formula-intense spreadsheet, or waiting for Big Iron to fire up and get all it's gears in mesh, it's all a tradeoff.

Patience is a virtue. The waiting 'trains' us to be more virtuous...

Oh, and Riclamer, congratulations on your resourcefulness! When can we get a full review or at least a show and tell?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10