x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Upgrade-itis? (J-720) How? Er, WHEN! "Ultimate HPC" Prognostications Solicited

1 2 3
HDH Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2005-07-31 4:38 PM

3) i think the HTC Universal (with windows mobile 5!) will be superior to the zauruses. except if you like linux better

Yuup you could be right, if the CE 5.0 OS isn't burned into the ROM without upgrade path. I reserve judgment on this when I have seen one or somebody has written a review.
And there is the small matter or price. If the OS can't be updated and this gadget costs $ 800 upwards, I don't think I will be buying one. Call me oldfashioned but a like to see the hardware die first before the software is out of date.

Regarding Zauruses, they go back a lot longer. My first Zaurus was a ZR-5700 bought in 1995/96. This little machine had a proprietary OS with e-mail connection allowing access worldwide and it was running on two AA batteries for weeks rather than hours, provided you didn't overuse the modem . Yes, these were the good old days, when programmes were counted in kbs and not Gbs.

This bluetooth idea is interesting, is there a card that can handle 3G and can be connected to the J720?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HTC/MDA4 will have a flashrom, with the new WM5 system to Patch into ROM, rather than into ram - the question will be though, will it be locked to a cellular provider.

Given that it's the first device out of the starting gate for WM5, seeing it get the WM5.5 / WM5SE / WM6 (whichever comes first) treatment is not likely to happen.
 Top of the page
HDH Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:43 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2005-08-01 3:34 PM

The HTC/MDA4 will have a flashrom, with the new WM5 system to Patch into ROM, rather than into ram - the question will be though, will it be locked to a cellular provider.

Given that it's the first device out of the starting gate for WM5, seeing it get the WM5.5 / WM5SE / WM6 (whichever comes first) treatment is not likely to happen.

If this is the case it will die the same commerical death as the Jornade HPC range. It will deter many punters. For instance if there is a serious security flaw in an application such as IE and an upgrade is required, what happens then?
I really can't see a big purchaser pool of these HTC devices, not even in the corporate market, apart from director upwards, as a status symbol.

As viruses appear now on mobile phones surely there must be some upgrade possible in the future. Or is it perhaps just a heavy moble phone, like the Nokia 9xxx.
I have customers, where wifi/LAN-enabled devices regardless of type without update anti-virus software are barred. That means I you would have to carry another mobile phone.

Hence my believe the first hardware manufacturer who supplies a HPC device without OS, will make a real killing. Allowing users choose their own software will be the way forward, even if it is open source.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

HDH - 2005-08-01 5:43 PM

If this is the case it will die the same commerical death as the Jornade HPC range. It will deter many punters. For instance if there is a serious security flaw in an application such as IE and an upgrade is required, what happens then?
I really can't see a big purchaser pool of these HTC devices, not even in the corporate market, apart from director upwards, as a status symbol.

As viruses appear now on mobile phones surely there must be some upgrade possible in the future. Or is it perhaps just a heavy moble phone, like the Nokia 9xxx.
I have customers, where wifi/LAN-enabled devices regardless of type without update anti-virus software are barred. That means I you would have to carry another mobile phone.

Hence my believe the first hardware manufacturer who supplies a HPC device without OS, will make a real killing. Allowing users choose their own software will be the way forward, even if it is open source.

don't worry...
HTC's are already very popular! for example MDA, MDA II, XDA I/II, a lot of qtek variants etc.... i promise you it won't die. and there's a chance it can be upgraded, xda developers group are quite active, they already got wm 2005 on MDA II/XDA II devices
some antivirus software already exist for windows mobile devices.

about bluetooth: don't worry about 3G, the bluetooth card doesn't care about it, the phone has to be 3G enabled, and that's it.
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 4:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

<<...pin head programmers working under the control of MBA-type commanders. MBAs, like Accountants, are just not known for their creativity or inventiveness (except maybe creative book keeping & report writing)...>>

Uh, easy, there, Bruiser! I've got an MBA (and an MSIR), and I started this post!

Willdao
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10