x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What makes the best H/PC for typing?

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I guess this is related to my question re: the Libretto or the H/PC. Who makes the H/PC which is the best for typing? I know there are many manufactureres and many mobiles within each mfg. The specs tend to look a lot alike but I know that specs and reality are often as different as life before the wedding and after

Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

pengyou - 2005-07-24 5:03 AM

I guess this is related to my question re: the Libretto or the H/PC. Who makes the H/PC which is the best for typing? I know there are many manufactureres and many mobiles within each mfg. The specs tend to look a lot alike but I know that specs and reality are often as different as life before the wedding and after

Well, it all depends on what "best" for typing means. I generally prefer a large keyboard (fat fingers and all) for typing. The NEC MobilePro 780 (and I assume the 790/900/900C are the same size) actually has a larger keyboard than the Libretto 100 CT. Neither is a full-size keyboard, but the MP780 is probably about 80% of full size. The Libretto keyboard is probably 65% or so.

Then again, the Libretto can be used with an external PS/2 keyboard if you really can't stand that dinky keyboard. There's no way that I know of to attach an external keyboard to a MP780. (Can you use a USB keyboard on a 900/900C??) An external keyboard kinda defeats the purpose of a mobile unit, though.

I find the MobilePro quite easy to use with the built-in keyboard. The only problem is the arrangement of the cursor keys. (The default arrangement puts them in a line, instead of the more familiar "inverted-T" configuration.) It's a problem which can easily be fixed with a small bit of software and re-arranging the keycaps.

The Libretto keyboard can be a bit cramped, particularly the function and cursor keys, but it's quite adequate for light typing. I wouldn't want to have typed my thesis using just that keyboard, but it's OK for smaller jobs. Personally, the mouse control on the Libretto always bugged me more than the keyboard. I always had an Alps GlidePoint plugged in to the I/O bar and sitting next to the Libretto.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

MP keyboard is 92% of full size! (jornada is 76% but there's a big diff in reality i like both keyboards though, typing my thesis on them wouldn't be a problem )
i never tried an usb keyboard with my 900C but i think it should work.. but who would want an external keyboard for it?! its own keyboard is perfect! i got fully used to the arrow keys too within some days (tried the remap utility but it was buggy)
so i'd definitely recommend a MP for typing!

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-24 11:42 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10