x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB prism 2 / 2.5 wifi cards

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I know they exist and I also know ppc users have them working with the prism ref drivers on various Toshibas. I think having one for my 6651 would free a slot in case I wanted to wardrive/navigate at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Can you offer a brand readily available in Canada/US? TY.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow.. thank you for reminding me of the toshiba's with wifi usb... i totally forgot them!!! wow i should get one for my 900C and then i could have wifi, bluetooth and a memory card in it at the same time! wow... i'll try to find the drivers.. or do you have them? i'll borrow a wifi usb and will test it in my 900C, and then report back!

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-24 8:24 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 9:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, neat eh? I totally forget too until today when I plugged a usb Zyxel without thinking and got asked for the driver name. Then I remembered reading about prism usb wifi and how I forgot to get one

The standard prism ref drivers work just fine I read. Toshiba/arm users need the deje usb drivers to communicate IIRC. 6651 users are fine with the standard usb drivers.

What I don't know is the brand of usb wifi and if it's available in Canada. I'm hoping someone here has experience and can recommend a brand that works for sure.

If I find such a beast I'll buy a few. I'll leave them mounted in the car and aircraft and plug them in when/if I need them. Another free slot!

Life is great with a usb host!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what are those deje drivers? where can i download them? thanks

i think if they're really generic prism drivers then most of the prism usb wifi would work!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 12:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Here you go:

http://www.deje.gmxhome.de/index.html

They work great on my arm E200. They worked great on the baffed 740's I had. They should work fine on all arm based units with minor tweaking. Deje provides the info..
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 2:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I found one card to start, Dlink DWL-122 is supposed to be prism based USB. Now to find one cheap to test. Hey on my powered hub it won't even affect my battery life. Guess I'll revisit my "external chassi" idea. Hmm, just using some batteries, card reader, hub, usb wifi, and skipping the hdd I can still get vastly impproved features.

Can I use a multi reader with say, a 2gb cf card and a 2gb sd card at the same time? Obviously not concurrent access or striped.

With enough thought I can free my pcmcia and also my cf slot for gprs ? or whatever. GPRS could be a real boon for realtime weather info while airborne.

Thinking out load
1 usb port for multireader (with 2gb cf & 2gb SD)
1 usb port wifi card
1 usb port for usb hdd ( maybe, why not, turn it off after I have doownloaded to the flash cards)
1 usb port for mouse`at home, gps receiver when travelling.

pcmcia slot for gprs (totally ignorant on this topic, details needed another day)
empty cf slot, perhaps gps card if I can't find a usb ce gps.

My aim is still a no moving parts highly visible and light flight management system with touch screen. I think I'm there. Hmm, wonder if the 6651 has enough power to video the instruments during a trip as well as navigate. Use my digicorder for recording outside views.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks.. but.. which are the usb drivers from these? i found two drivers, hid and mass storage.. :confused:
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 12:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

WOW!! I never knew WinCE has more USB options that a mouse or keyboard! I saw the USB CD somebody had, but it didn't connect!!

Will H/PC Pro recognize anything like this?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 3:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No the hpcpro won't support usb I'm sorry to say.

cmonex, just install the arm mass storage one IIRC. That provides the i/f to the usb wifi. I'm stil hunting for a cheap usb adapter. Netgear ma111 first version seems to be prism based, I've ordered one from tigerdirect to test out.here's hoping. It's a slim pen type usb wifi, nice and small, easy to tote. $17US

really sorry now I dumpred my wusb11 2.5. The 2.6 is amtel based and won't work.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks again, sorry to have bugged you about it so many times
now all is clear to me!

let me know if you succeeded or not oh it would be so cool if it worked! i would definitely buy one for my 900C..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8