x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Starcrat on an mobilepro 780

gpoliece
gpoliece Page Icon Posted 2005-07-24 11:06 PM
#
I was just wondering if it's possible to get starcraft installed on a nec mobilepro 780 mips. I'm runing hpc pro. Thanks for any help.

Gpoliece
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Read what Starcraft requires to install:
Pentium class Processor with MMX
Windows 95
32 MB Ram
~160MB HDD Space

Does your Mobilepro have any of those specifications? (Hint: Yours is running on a MIPs 16bit.... Pentiums are 32bit... also, your Mobilepro doens't have Windows 95 or a hard drive!)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-25 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think MIPS isn't 16 bit but 32 bit
and SH4 is 64 bit
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 8:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can see why it's rather confusing.
There are 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit versions of MIPS and 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SH4.

As for whether the Aero 8000 is a 64-bit device, which I think cmonex is referring to... it depends where/how you google.
http://www.pdamania.hu/machines.php3?&id=165&do=1 say it's 32-bit
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=578&CatID=51 say it's 64-bit

The quick spec says 64-bit, the manaul says nothing.

The SH4 itself is capable of producing 32-bit and 64-bit results out of the cpu (same as MIPS). Full, unparalleled 64-bit support in Windows CE (as we would know it on the PC) only arrived with the CE4 release.
The Dreamcast incidentally was a SH4 system - it has a 64-bit FPU and a 32-bit integer. Which I am guessing is what is going on in the Aero.

Just for laughs; the Sega Saturn used a SH2 (32-bit) CPU
SH5 is 64-bit (32-bit addressing) the SH6 and the pending SH7 are pure 64-bit processors.
 Top of the page
gpoliece
gpoliece Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 8:56 PM
#
Thanks for the info. Guess i'll just go back to hunting for a wifi stumber program for my 780.

Gpoliece
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-07-26 2:52 PM

As for whether the Aero 8000 is a 64-bit device, which I think cmonex is referring to... it depends where/how you google.

hehehe pdamania.hu cool!
hmm but no site exist that doesn't make mistakes in specs etc
your explanation is quite logical though
what is sega saturn?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-26 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2005-07-26 7:52 AM

I can see why it's rather confusing.
There are 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit versions of MIPS and 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SH4.

The quick spec says 64-bit, the manaul says nothing.

The SH4 itself is capable of producing 32-bit and 64-bit results out of the cpu (same as MIPS). Full, unparalleled 64-bit support in Windows CE (as we would know it on the PC) only arrived with the CE4 release.
The Dreamcast incidentally was a SH4 system - it has a 64-bit FPU and a 32-bit integer. Which I am guessing is what is going on in the Aero.

SH5 is 64-bit (32-bit addressing) the SH6 and the pending SH7 are pure 64-bit processors.

Once again C:AMIE to the rescue... In a nice way!
Thanks Chris!
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well the MIPS may be 64 bit, but it's running a 16bit OS :-)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 12:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Pete P., where did you read wince is 16 bit?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 7:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm with cmonex on this one
WinCE is 196.874% not 16-bit - http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

Microsoft haven't pumped out a true 16-bit OS since 1993 (I said true )
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well I'll be darned! I always thought it was, with it's 65k color limit and some other stuff... I can be kind of ignorant sometimes :-)

So why cant x86 programming be run on another 32 bit system like the ARM or MIPS? ARM can run Windows, cant it? Why cant our systems use a translator chip like Transmeta, who's chips run on the ultra-effecient VLIW instructions?
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 1:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I now see that WinCE can operate on a Pentium class computer... Interesting!
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I see now how they got Age of Empires to do the swap.... Why not Westwood's Command and Conquer and Blizzard's Starcraft? I cant even imagine the fun.....

"Porting Existing Applications
One way to take advantage of H/PC capabilities is to port existing desktop applications to the H/PC and optimize them for mobile professionals. Many Microsoft Windows 95 applications can be ported to Windows CE with much less effort than would be required to develop them from scratch. Ideas and algorithms from Windows-based applications are easily transferred to the Windows CE environment.

The main requirement is that H/PC applications be designed with the smaller device's characteristics in mind. Memory, power, user-interaction devices, and the broad range of CPU and communications options are all critical concerns when porting. For example, hardware design determines whether the user interacts with the device by typing on a keyboard, giving speech commands, or writing on the screen with a stylus.

Because the Windows CE operating system is designed to use a subset of the Win32 application programming interface (API) from the Windows NT operating system and a similar driver model, recompiling applications for the H/PC is a straightforward process."

I wonder if they ever thought about doing this...........
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Pete P. - 2005-07-28 6:45 AM

Well I'll be darned! I always thought it was, with it's 65k color limit and some other stuff... I can be kind of ignorant sometimes :-)

So why cant x86 programming be run on another 32 bit system like the ARM or MIPS? ARM can run Windows, cant it? Why cant our systems use a translator chip like Transmeta, who's chips run on the ultra-effecient VLIW instructions?

oh, i never liked transmeta... i heard it's not efficient enough but i never had experience with it, so don't count me

if you want real windows, you would want to use a hard disk then... and lose instant-on and low power consumption.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12