x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newbie with newbie questions (Can you stand another?)

Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just got my first HPC style PDA... been a PDA user for a long time but always stuck to the "others".

Had a couple of Palms, 2 Visors, currently running a Toshiba e755 and now this Jornada 680.

Gotta say I love the keyboard and how this is so much like regular windows!

Now for the questions.

I need a book reader. I have Mobipocket and MS Reader but neither work. MS won't install, says the Jornada is not supported. Mobi installs but won't run, says the path is wrong or there are missing files. I am thinking that it is the version of the OS.

I have seen references to Mobi for ARM, MIPS, SH3 (???) and my second newbie question is, what processor does the Jornada use?

Besides the regular schedule/browsing/email type stuff, reading e-books is my real passion and I *need* to be able to do it on the Jornada or it goes on Ebay.

Can you help?

Sign me: "Reader-less in Raliegh"
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Preacher,

Mobipocket does work. Review:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/mobipocket-reader/

The Jornada 680 is a Handheld PC version 3.0 Professional edition device running on Windows CE 2.11. The Processor is SH3.

You need to download the "Win CE (2.x, 3.x) / CE.Net" version from here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/DownLoadReaderStep1.asp

If thats the one you grabbed in the first place, can you provide us with more information on the error?

So generic things. Please ensure you are using ActiveSync 3.7.1, have installed SP1 on it (see support) and installed Mobi into the default install location.

As for the Microsoft Reader, I'm afraid that will not run under 2.11 - at all.
 Top of the page
Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you ever so much for the rapid reply.

I have been browsing the other forums and I may have made a faux pas. SHould I have posted this in another part of the forum?

Since I am already here and you haven't moved this, I think I will press on.

I have an older 3-com PCMCIA nic that I was hoping to use but I am afraid it may be too old (it is a combo card with a 33.6b modem!) The model number is a whole generation or two older than the cards on the HCL. I am guessing I am out of luck? Is there a preferred site out there for old drivers? It is a 3C562C/3C562D if that helps.

Last question for tonight. The CF card door on the bottom is loose. Is there any way to tighten it up without duct tape?

Thanks for your patience!
 Top of the page
Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-10 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Update on the reader:

Downloaded it again and reinstalled, works like a charm this time around, THANKS!

Just dumped about 15 megs of books on my CF card and I am set for all of my Dr's appts tomorrow...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 6:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Preacher,
I'm glad things worked out with the reader.

As for a forum, HPC Pro tech support would have been the ideal place I will move it along later after you've had a chance to read this.

There aer no known drivers for 3C562 chipped adapters. Also combi cards are notoriously difficult to use. The modem should work a-ok though.

Lastly on the CF. When you say loose - where loose?
Is it not clasping?
 Top of the page
Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 7:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C-Amie - 2004-11-11 6:49 AM

Preacher,
I'm glad things worked out with the reader.

As for a forum, HPC Pro tech support would have been the ideal place I will move it along later after you've had a chance to read this.

There aer no known drivers for 3C562 chipped adapters. Also combi cards are notoriously difficult to use. The modem should work a-ok though.

Lastly on the CF. When you say loose - where loose?
Is it not clasping?

It is holding the actual CF card ok, but the entire compartment that drops down when you put a PCMCIA card in, won't stay in the up position where there is no PCMCIA card in place. I hope that makes sense.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 7:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Perfect sense, yes - mine is the same.

There should be two small clips on the outer edge of the PCMCIA slot which catch on the latch. One of mine has disappeared - God only knows where - and consequently the thing doesn't work.

It's a particularly bad bit of design...

Not a lot you can do, really
 Top of the page
Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I see, thanks for the confirmation. Ah well, if I figure out a fix, I'll post it.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-11 12:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

if you've still got one latch, you could copy it. I'll take a photo tonight to show you the bit that I mean
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9