x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Thinking about getting into HPC...

1 2 3 4
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 6:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight,

Please be sure to note that PPC 2000 / 2002 apps will not natively run on HPC2000. There are some that can be hacked - and I stress hacked :. dll's, hex editing and things not working correctly
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 11:47 AM
#
I understand completely.

Most of my apps have HPC builds, so I should be pretty safe. Really my favourite app is the vxSniffer packet sniffer, which has a build for HPC. I mostly use the built in applications, and NetFront on my PocketPC anyways. I'm really hoping to get into the development side, as I have quite a bit of experience with programming (I'm a CS major, hehe).

Anyways, staying on the look out for a MP790. Hopefully usedhandhelds will get one in stock soon.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

abyssknight Check PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think NetFront 3 (for PPC) is only available for ARM based CPU. MP790 cannot run it, since it uses a MIPS.

The ARM based HPC2000 devices are the Jornada 720/728 and MP900.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 4:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

abyssknight - 2005-07-27 11:47 AM

...on the look out for a MP790. Hopefully usedhandhelds will get one in stock soon.

I just received (7-26-'05) a refurbished MP790 I bought from Unity Electronics (unityelectronics.com) for $152.50 (S\H included). It is a beauty. Not one scratch on the screen or anywhere else. You have to closely inspect my 790 to know it is used (refurbished). Unity has more 790s up for auction on eBay. Why grossly overpay usedhandhelds for one?

You can buy a factory sealed NEC MP900 for less than usedhandhelds wants for a used one!

Unity has an excellent track record and guarantees their NECs for 90 days. Tiger Direct has a more liberal return policy & their refurbished mobile PCs consistently look new but Unity's used PCs do work and Unity has an excellent track record for delivering fully functioning units. Unity charges less than Tiger for S\H and prices their used mobile PCs significantly lower than Tiger. You could argue that overall Tiger is a better buy when you take their more liberal return and exchange policies into account, if you consider only units Unity ships to buyers who order from the Unity Site.

Unity seems to save their best looking used Handhelds for eBay auctions, even though buyers often win a lower price at auction. This makes sense from the retail point of view. EBay buyers get to post public feedback.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

bruisedquasar - 2005-07-27 1:47 PM
I just received (7-26-'05) a refurbished MP790 I bought from Unity Electronics (unityelectronics.com) for $152.50 (S\H included).

Perhaps they just realized their underpricing? It's $199 now.
http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/2455
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-07-27 10:41 PM

I think NetFront 3 (for PPC) is only available for ARM based CPU. MP790 cannot run it, since it uses a MIPS.

you're wrong, there's a MIPS version of Netfront3. just ask the Intermec users..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar, actually usedhandhelds ask less for a MP790, as abyssknight mentioned, 149$.
i think the MP900's price isn't too bad either (considering you get a warranty, or am i mistaken? sorry), but some other HPC's are really expensive!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 5:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-07-27 2:15 PM
you're wrong, there's a MIPS version of Netfront3. just ask the Intermec users..

Sorry it came out totally wrong. Of course there's a MIPS Netfront 3, I tried it myself on my Casio PPC. I just thought that it cannot be hacked for HPC, since it requires a functional Aygshell in order to see the bottom menu and toolbar. So you say some Intermec users got it up and running? I even checked Wally's thread and he didn't list it...

Edited by takwu 2005-07-27 6:23 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 6:28 PM
#
You all are very much on the ball. Thanks for the PMs Yoldering!

I've always used the ARM/Xscale line of processors, so I guess I must have forgotten about the difference in architectures. Thanks for bringing that up. Rather funny considering I actually had to learn MIPS assembly in college last year ( as well as x86 ).

I'm a little weary about ordering on eBay, as most sellers seems to have an issue with 'incorrect descriptions' according to the feedback records. Not sure why, maybe its not their fault... Anyone had any experiences buying from eBay? I've only ever bought one thing and that was a DEC3000 (Alpha).

If I could get one of the units from Unity at the old price, I would've jumped. Prices seem to be changing on these little buggers daily. I guess HPC's are still in high demand.

So what applications are you all running on your trusty HPCs?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-07-27 11:58 PM

cmonex - 2005-07-27 2:15 PM

Sorry it came out totally wrong. Of course there's a MIPS Netfront 3, I tried it myself on my Casio PPC. I just thought that it cannot be hacked for HPC, since it requires a functional Aygshell in order to see the bottom menu and toolbar. So you say some Intermec users got it up and running? I even checked Wally's thread and he didn't list it...

ok, no problem!
yep there are dummy dlls for MIPS too, didn't you know? check my page for them.
btw, if you look at Wally's screenshots of his intermec's desktop you'll see netfront's icon there
i think he didn't list it because netfront's been around for a time, one of the most important hacked ppc apps. (oh and you can check brighthand hpc forum, there are a lot of intermec users who hacked netfront on their hpc's, i got the mips dlls from them, more precisely from felixdd)

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-27 7:41 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight - 2005-07-28 12:28 AM

I guess HPC's are still in high demand.

yeah sure!

So what applications are you all running on your trusty HPCs?

i'll try to list the installed programs on my 728

in RAM:

.NET CF (.net compact framework for ppc's)
quick start menu (a little similar to quick launch on a desktop - i love it)
IrcCE (for irc, msn, icq, yahoo..)
LE (language extender lite, for keyboard remapping - i live in Hungary and we have some extra characters)
Netfront 3.0 (you know what it is )
Total Commander CE 2.0 (best file explorer, can do a lot of stuff, ir-obex, lan, ftp, registry too)
WarmReboot (software for soft reset to protect the hardware button..)
Wisbar (skinning software)
gsbatmon_tsy (battery monitoring soft)
Hpc netprofile (different IP/etc profiles for different lan/wlan networks, etc)
Destinator 3.0.25 (map software)
CE.NET viewers ( you should do a search here on what these are... file viewers from ce.net 4.x, they're great on hpc2000 too after a little hacking. erm, why are they in ram? i should move them to CF)
+ drivers for wlan and bluetooth

on CF:

Acrobat reader 1.0 and 2.0 (pdf..)
Betaplayer (ok, i'll upgrade to TCPMP - best video player.. can play audio too)
CEAgenda (great psion like calendar)
CEChat (Nick's chat soft )
ceFTP (ftp client but i don't recommend it, too slow, Total Commander is much faster)
CIC keyboard (onscreen keyboard.. it's great for F keys, otherwise not of much use)
Collins Cobuild (dictionary)
DeClock (cool clock)
DeveloperOne screensnap (self explaining, for screen shots)
easySMS (i don't use it, mphone is much better)
Ezviewer (crappy image soft, can do some other things too but i didn't fiddle with it.. should delete it along with ceFTP)
ftxBrowser (uses IE's engine, gives some more options in menus + tabs)
GSfinder (good file manager i don't use it though)
gsICQ (icq, needs .net CF but i don't use it.. ircce is better for me)
h-bomb (html editor)
ibm java IRC client (great! but needs a java vm)
itaskmanager+netmanager (monitors cpu, memory, processes, running tasks, networks)
java (jeode and sun pjava)
Macromedia Flashplayer 6.0 (ok, i couldn't hack it again, a little complicated, will do the reg stuff manually..)
MDict (good dict soft)
MS Portait (msn soft, i don't use it, ircce is better )
MS TS Client (a favourite again! great for remote desktop - will display the remote desktop in HVGA)
MS TS Client update (will display the remote desktop in VGA)
Ministumbler (wifi scanner)
MobiPocket (ebook reader)
movianVPN (couldn't get it to work trying now 728's own built-in VPN.. someone just told me it can handle wlan and gprs too)
mphone 2.6 pro version (sms, phonebook, and much more...)
nPOP (good email program)
PHM System tools (similar to device manager.. doesn't know a lot but sometimes useful)
PHM regeditor (use it with Tascal regeditor, both are good)
Pirazu (just for fun you can use it for navigation on the screen with the keyboard instead of the stylus)
Plus! (image viewer, pocket word count, pocket paint and some other stuff)
pocket RAR (rar, unrar)
PocketDOS (dos..)
Pocketwarrior (i don't use it there are better wifi scanners)
PocketWinc 2.0 (grear wifi scanner)
Power Toys (quicklaunch, etc..)
Ansyr Primer 3.1 (pdf)
QMail3 (great email soft)
Resco explorer (file manager, i don't like it but i need it sometimes for reg importing)
Secureclient (vpn, doesn't work for me..)
Textmaker (best word processor)
STDict (dictionary - if someone wants to learn hungarian .. )
Tascal regeditor
tombo (some soft for plans etc)
TrayDate (shows date in tray - i rarely use it )
various crappy vnc's
vxFTP (a fast ftp client)
vxUtil (great for networking)
wordbook (dict)
xacrett (supports a lot of compression formats)
XPCE (can do screenshots in jpg and png!)
+ some simple games.. (cantris, shanghai, sisjong, square, freecell, etc... the games from PS + some emulators for a little fun, but i'm not a real gamer)

i think it's a list exhaustive enough..
oh and with these lot of stuff.. i haven't had to hard reset for a long time now but apparently i'll have to now as the 728 started to shut off itself shortly after power on if i don't use it (or there are no active tasks running..). i already had a similar problem on the 720 (test machine ) so a hard reset should help

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-27 9:08 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 9:49 PM
#
Wow, that's a big list...

Very nice to see the list of apps isn't small.

With .NET CF and Java VM at the helm, I'm sure you could create quite a few apps as well!

Wow.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yep.. i never understood those who said there were no programs for HPC's...
oh and i forgot to mention nyditot (virtual display - changes screen res virtually) in the list count that too
and of course this is only my list a lot more apps are available.

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-27 9:58 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-27 11:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

cmonex, you have a great site. I never looked at it before
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.217 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11