x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Thinking about getting into HPC...

1 2 3 4
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 8:38 PM
#
I am going to see how much money I can gather up. Just got paid today, and it's looking like I'll be getting the MP790 from Unity Electronics as soon as my check clears.

After reading through the forums and everything, I've come to realize that the device probably is worth the $200 price tag. Everything from ASP to Winamp runs on these things!

Anyone have any photos/screenshots from their HPC (MP780/790 users especially!)?

I'm compiling the list of 'must have' apps to finally tip the scales.

Oh, and ... has anyone had any trouble with their HPC? The warranty is only 90 days... but I think if anything were to be severely broken I would notice it within that time period, no?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-07-28 5:15 AM

cmonex, you have a great site. I never looked at it before

thanks it was started as just a download page but i'll try to improve on it, include manuals on hacking, and some other "advanced" information etc...
maybe on the design too
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 9:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight:

oh i think most of the HPC's are sturdy enough.. don't worry
though NEC didn't always pay attention to quality control with the MP900's. (i don't want to scare anyone away)
but the MP780 should be fine

screenshots.. i have some on my site.. they're of a jornada728 but the MP has the same res hpc2000 isn't too much different from hpc pro afaik.. i have a lot more, if you're interested.. i can do screenshots of the OS, apps, etc..
edit: oh i realize now hpcfactor have already done screenshots of the OS, you should check out this: About Windows CE - http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

what do you mean by ASP?
yes really almost everything runs (i don't know about hpc pro but hpc2000 is ok)
must have apps? i just posted in Scala's thread about my 10 (11 ) most important apps.. (apart from the built-in ones! you shouldn't forget them either)
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 9:18 PM
#
ASP is the Microsoft Active Server Pages scripting language. There is a version for CE, as well as a MSSQL Lite server.

I will just have to head over and check out that other thread then!

My girlfriend is going to kill me for buying another gadget, but hey, what can you do?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 1:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

IIS is a commercial module for CE core devices, it is not available for HPC2000, and :. neither is the ASP library bits. ASP is a lib for IIS, not a standalone program.

MSSQLCE (not SQL Lite) as you say is available, and now at v2.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 5:54 PM
#
abyssknight - 2005-07-28 7:18 PM

My girlfriend is going to kill me for buying another gadget, but hey, what can you do?

Give her a hard time for buying clothes/shoes/god knows what useless things. You have to fight back, man! You've got to learn to fight!
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:20 PM
#
Just ordered my MP790 for $199 at Unity.

Really hope this thing operates as well as I think it does. Really am hoping to replace my pocket pc, and a few other devices with this one.

I will be heading on over to the development forums, as the way to get me to use my new toy most would be to get cracking on a new app.

Thanks for all the advice, and the warm welcome!

Corporate, I hope you're right about not missing that x3i screen... Hehe.

Sorry about that C:Amie... I could have sworn I saw ASP in the development downloads! I've been staying up a bit late... need to stop reading about applications at 1am. Hehe. Thanks for the clarification!

So what is SQL useful for without a scripting language to interact with it or is this more for standalone non-web apps?

Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:25 PM
#
abyssknight - 2005-07-29 5:20 PM

Just ordered my MP790 for $199 at Unity.

Really hope this thing operates as well as I think it does. Really am hoping to replace my pocket pc, and a few other devices with this one.

I will be heading on over to the development forums, as the way to get me to use my new toy most would be to get cracking on a new app.

Thanks for all the advice, and the warm welcome!

Corporate, I hope you're right about not missing that x3i screen... Hehe.

Oh I do too, else I looks like an idiot Ghosting is an issue, but oh man oh man is it nice to have 640x480 starin' at you.

Congrats on the purchase, let us know how it arrives (pictures would be nice) and how Unity treats you
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:35 PM
#
Ghosting can't be too much of an issue unless you try to run video I would imagine... Seeing as the mouse is a stylus and all.

I will report back to you all on how the transaction goes. Might be awhile, as I ordered ground shipping. Went with Unity over eBay and Eagle because I liked that they had an SSL certificate, and they give the impression that they are a very reputable company.

Now I've got to gather all my applications to install when it gets here!

Just realized my PCMCIA card won't work with the HPC, but thank goodness I saved my CF wifi card from years ago... I'll hopefully be able to pick up a cheap 16bit wifi card (preferably linux compatible too!).

If anyone has a suggestion, that'd be great. Hoping to pick that and a 1gb CF up over the course of the next month.

EDIT: Just read that the NEC doesn't have a standard audio out port. Has anyone figured out a way to use standard headphones with it or is there a specific part I need?

Edited by abyssknight 2005-07-29 7:44 PM
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:43 PM
#
abyssknight - 2005-07-29 5:35 PM

Ghosting can't be too much of an issue unless you try to run video I would imagine... Seeing as the mouse is a stylus and all.

I will report back to you all on how the transaction goes. Might be awhile, as I ordered ground shipping. Went with Unity over eBay and Eagle because I liked that they had an SSL certificate, and they give the impression that they are a very reputable company.

Now I've got to gather all my applications to install when it gets here!

Just realized my PCMCIA card won't work with the HPC, but thank goodness I saved my CF wifi card from years ago... I'll hopefully be able to pick up a cheap 16bit wifi card (preferably linux compatible too!).

If anyone has a suggestion, that'd be great. Hoping to pick that and a 1gb CF up over the course of the next month.

Haha, I can just feel the new gadget glee oozing from you.. I know exactly what you're feeling

I was going to buy a 790 from Unity originally but the don't ship to Canada, so I took a risk and bought it from some random guy on the forums that nobody knows of (just kidding, Snappy!) via eBay and it's worked out well for me.

Any particular pictures/screenshots of the 790 that you're looking for? I've got my digital camera with me (who knows why) but I'm still at work for another 15, but I can upload anything you want when I get home.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 8:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Congrats... hope you like it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight: cool, you're going to like it!
corporate: 640x480? not 640x240?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight - 2005-07-30 1:35 AM

what model is the pcmcia card?
you don't have to buy another pcmcia wifi, isn't the CF one good enough? (you can buy a pcmcia-cf adapter for it to stick it in the pcmcia slot)
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 9:21 PM
#
I guess you are right.

I could use the CF wifi adapter and get a pcmcia cf adapter.

The only thing is that the cf slot seems to be on the front of the device... so the stub of the cf wifi card would be on the front.

My pcmcia cards are a DWL-650+ and a Linksys 802.11g card.

I found the headset adapter thread for the 790, hopefully someone can explain that to me.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 10:11 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-07-29 6:28 PM

abyssknight: cool, you're going to like it!
corporate: 640x480? not 640x240?

QUIET YOU!

Nobody saw nothin, got it?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12