x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Your dumbest HPC moment

1 2 3 4
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich Hawley - 2005-07-27 7:10 PM

My wife (and she isn't blonde, though she should be) was playing with a Mobilepro one day and she decided to push the reset button. She thought it was cool how it started everything out fresh. I wasn't too impressed and told her so, "Honey, I'll be impressed when I see you do a hard reset."

She then reset the thing again, nearly jamming the stylus all the way through the case...asking, "Is this hard enough for you?"

No lie...she thought a hard reset was one where you push harder....

Rich

Top of the page
mike
mike Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 2:12 PM
#
Yoldering - 2005-07-28 12:44 AM

Zapper - 2005-07-26 11:00 PM

Yoldering - 2005-07-26 11:14 PM

Thinking I could find an affordable power supply for my Dreamwriter.

What does it say on the FCC/UL tag on the back under INPUT field?

How many volts?

How many amps?

Is it center-positive?

Does it contain Li-Ion or ?

FCC ID: NFJC600
INPUT VOLTAGE DC 12V 2.5A it has Ni-MH
It has an outer circle and an inner circle, and there is a hole in the center I know proton corp has them, but they are $40. Radio Shack has the head attachment, and I was thinking I could solder the head to a 12v 2.5a power supply I am not certian though. I have had this for over a month... I still have not been able to power it up

would that work?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-07-28 6:44 AM

Radio Shack has the head attachment, and I was thinking I could solder the head to a 12v 2.5a power supply I am not certian though. I have had this for over a month... I still have not been able to power it up

yep you can do that, takes only a few minutes. one of my friends did exactly this for a jornada 720.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

thanks Cmonex, That is GREAT news!!! I will do that ASAP
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 11:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yoldering - 2005-07-28 3:40 PM

thanks Cmonex, That is GREAT news!!! I will do that ASAP

Try and get a switching power supply. Those provide cleaner, more stable output. Used laptop power supplies are plentiful and a good source.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 1:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Now back to our regular programming of Dumbest HPC Moments.

Attempting to open a 5mb formula-heavy XLS file....
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Zapper - 2005-07-26 11:50 PM

KBoyKool - 2005-07-27 12:46 AM

Well, according to my math professor, "magic white smoke" is what makes a computer run--and when it escapes, the computer stops working. :+D

He wouldn't happen to be of Taiwanese origin, would he?

Sorry to disappoint... he was a short little white guy with white hair and a dry sense of humor. My favorite math professor in college was another "European-American" who always brought a yo-yo to class and would go drinking at one of the popular bars. He was a tough prof, but I liked him. Unfortunately, the college dismissed him after my last low-level math class with him.

But... I digress...

I guess my dumbest moment was more of a dumb period. I had a 3C589C card and a 660LX that I could never figure out how to get networked. C:Amie reprimanded me verbally, later, since the instructions and files are all located around the corner. (turn right after you pass the forums) The magic white smoke escaped, I hadn't backed up or utilized network sharing with the 660LX and had to start all over with a J720. Looking back, I guess it was a blessing in disguise! I'm cruising in HPCland, now and doing more and more all the time. Laptop? Pshah! :+
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-07-28 1:50 PM

Yoldering - 2005-07-28 6:44 AM

Radio Shack has the head attachment, and I was thinking I could solder the head to a 12v 2.5a power supply I am not certian though. I have had this for over a month... I still have not been able to power it up :( :cry:

yep you can do that, takes only a few minutes. one of my friends did exactly this for a jornada 720. :rip:

I almost bought a 12V/2500mA PS to use with my J720 in the car. Radio Shack had the PS online for $30, so I went to a retail outlet and asked if they had one. The "helpful" RS associate said they don't make car adapters that don't provide 2.5 amps of current. (Really? They don't?) I didn't have the heart to tell him to check his company's website. Anyway, I bought a 70 Watt (12V * 2.5A = 30W max.) power inverter for less than half the price and use it with the J720 AC adapter. I think it's silly to convert DC to AC and back to DC, but it was cheaper. I have a huge (many CCAs) battery and the extra duty alternator in my car, so I'm not worried. ;+)

Edited by KBoyKool 2005-07-29 7:40 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 9:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You say radio shack had the adapter at 2.5A? I did not see that All the ones I went to said the same thing the guy you talked to said. I did not see it on their website either. can you give me the link?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 10:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-07-30 3:53 AM

You say radio shack had the adapter at 2.5A? I did not see that All the ones I went to said the same thing the guy you talked to said. I did not see it on their website either. can you give me the link?

don't worry about amps... 1.25 A will be more than enough. charging the battery while the 720 is on will draw only 800 mA or so. well.. if you add active wifi (300 mA if it isn't a cisco 350.. that draws 5-600 mA) to that, 1.25 will still be enough
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-29 11:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Eyikes! 5-600ma drawn by a 350? It better be able to summon the Tardis....

Another brilliant moment. Inadvently dropping the mips usb dlls into my arm device then doing DOh! everytime I plugged in a usb device. I finally hard-reset and started from zero and it hit me when I got to the usb part. Hmm, files? no, I need a cab. Ouch. Doh1
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 2:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-07-29 9:37 PM

Yoldering - 2005-07-30 3:53 AM

don't worry about amps... 1.25 A will be more than enough. charging the battery while the 720 is on will draw only 800 mA or so. well.. if you add active wifi (300 mA if it isn't a cisco 350.. that draws 5-600 mA) to that, 1.25 will still be enough

*scratches head* The bottom of MY J720 shows the DC in jack as being 12VDC/2500mA, which is why I was looking for the 2.5A DC PS. Am I missing something?

Here is the link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1818

In case the above doesn't work, it is Radio Shack Cat. No. 273-1818
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 4:37 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

KBoyKool - 2005-07-30 2:43 AM

*scratches head* The bottom of MY J720 shows the DC in jack as being 12VDC/2500mA, which is why I was looking for the 2.5A DC PS. Am I missing something?

Not really. The rating is for absolute maximum power draw. You can get away with a lower current charger down to about 1000ma range though it will take a little longer to recharge. If the battery is completely flat, the onboard power control circuit could prevent it from charging if the device is in use. ie turned on and you are doing something on it. But it should charge alright when plugged in and turned off.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok i just made my dumbest HPC moment of my life so far!!

i switched wlan cards with one of my friends as he wanted to test my senao in his jornada 720.. he didn't like the pretec's performance. i got the pretec temporarily until he tested out the senao..
then i got my new toy with another wlan card on tuesday..
both of the cards have a ce.net 4.1 driver. neither would connect.
i tried everything, disabled every security in my router (ssid broadcast, wep), reset the router, dhcp, fixed IP, etc...
it went on like this for a whole day.. then i tried the pretec in my jornada. again, it would *not* connect!! saw the network but that was about all...
ok, i went on to write an email to my friend asking about the pretec.. i started to list every security setting i'd disabled. and only then realized that i didn!t think of mac address filtering!!!!
now i'm writing this post on the sigmarion with the pretec wlan...

edit: hm, at least i tested my router's security quite seriously!!!

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-10 11:09 PM
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 1:33 AM
#
Sig III? If I thought I could read the screen OK I'd get one.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 8