x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What is the best-priced new laptop that has the best options?

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I know I’ll get some flack for this but I need to buy a brand new laptop, price is a very big issue! I was thinking about the Dell Inspiron 1200 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
Inspiron 1200
Notebook Essentials
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 350 (1.30 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

FREE Wireless Upgrade!

FREE Dell Printer

Any opinions or suggestions? Remember price is important, and I can buy the Dell for $20 a month
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the High-End doesn't look too bad
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 11:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What do you mean high-end?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well there are three versions on your link.. the best of these is the high-end version for 800$
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh, now I feel dumb... I was thinking you were talking about another computer.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 10:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My messange is that I was laptop hunting for a long time, I eventually got a decent one that isn't a "hand me down" spare.

I got a Clevo M37EW, which only cost me £406.50 off E-bay and worth over a thousand when new (When I checked the prices - It didn't come with wireless as it stated in the auction when I opened it up, I didn't care because I was confident I would find a wireless card. I did and it came this morning and this is what I am using! The wireless card cost £23.42 IIRC including VAT + Delivery). I think I have saved a lot from the auction because very few bidded, we sniped it right at the last 15seconds and secured it!

The specs are as shown here ( http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/M37EW.asp ), but this one comes with a 1.6ghz Centrino processor, an Intel WirelessPRO 2200g card, a 80gb hard drive (See noteS) and 512mbs of RAM, I may go up to 2gb soon enough, depends on my finaces.
Oh and it was 1 year old when I received it and I have modifed it a lot, here is a price list of the modifications:

Computer: £406.50
Hard Drive: £Free (Pull from another computer - Approx £100 for 80gb otherwise)
Wireless: £23.46
Bluetooth: £13.50 (PC card - intended for the PDA)
Bag: £6.00 (£4.50 with 2% discount, I found it in a charity shop where I work - Most others don't fit the new one and the OEM one is disappointing!)
Total cost to date: £447.96

Not bad, still over half of what a new one would cost.

So, all I can say, is shop around, investiage OEM companies and don't go for the cheapest, cheapest tend to be weaker and have shorter lifecycles, most now don't have the following additions:
Decent graphics card (Usually a soft one, SiS, VIA or S3 is the order)
Serial port
Parallel port
Firewire
Wireless (PC card only or if not, USB)
PC card (on some I believe)
TV port
PS/2 port
Card reader(?)
As you can see, cheap ones tend to drop a hell of a lot of features to do with functionability to save manufacturing costs. So if you have a PDA that you want to connect directly to a serial port without carrying a USB connector, check the specs carefully and not once, check it more than once to be sure. Some only come with a parallel port OR a serial port (For example, my fathers Ferrari laptops have only 1 parallel port, whereas my clevo has 1 serial port instead.).
And ofcourse, if you shop around, you may find a bargin!

I hope this has been of use to you

Also, do you need to see any pics of my one including what I got for it? If so, ask, just so you determine the quality, in fact, the bag from the charity shop is one suited for a Dell Computer (as it has Dell on the front) and it is certaintly more like my mums dell computer bag as she has a Dell laptop too. The only thing missing was the strap! Fixed that with another bags strap.
 Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 12:26 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

You did say that price was important, so you might want to check out these Tiger Direct options -

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=17
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11