x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 Display Problem...

mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 7:23 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Last night, I turned on my 720 and didn't see the usual display - just a dark blue/gray blank screen. Here is what I have done (all to no effect):

Changed display settings Outdoor/Indoor/etc. The display changes in brightness, but no images.

Soft reset - no effect.

Hard reset - no effect.

The touch response still works - i get the screen clicks when I use the stylus, but still no images.

I read on another thread a suggestion about loose connector. Given that the touch screen response is there, is it worthwile detaching the screen. Could the connector be loose in such a way that no image is displayed, but the touch screen still functions?

MEW
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 7:26 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

Have you used the correct adaptor? Was there any smell of smoke or anything else coming from the screen?

Can you activesync ok? If you can its definetly a duff screen.

Nick
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 8:18 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Adaptor correct. About 4 weeks ago I did have it on the wrong adaptor for about 5 minutes, and up until now, no sign of damage.

Nope, no sign of the magic smoke escaping.

My setup with my syncing computer is through the IR port, initiated from the HPC, so no help there, either!

Thanks for the tips, though.

I think I'm going to wait a few days to see what other advice people have.

I may detach and re-attach the screen and see if that works.

I do have a 690 that had the screen crack, so I may end up playing surgeon and trying this screen with that CPU - if it works with the 690, then I guess I have fried chip in the 720.

MEW
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok.

I'd expect its either a cable or just an old damaged screen.

Nick
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-07-30 11:23 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

This is exactly what happened to my first J720, Pinkie.

The prognosis was that it was something to do with the display itself as it was obioviously getting power (your backlight gray screen).

The good news is that Usedhandhelds (http://www.usedhandhelds.com) does provide repair service for handhelds. I would recommend you contact them and see what their rates are on such a repair. You can find a link to Usedhandhelds in this post or off of the HPC:Factor's front page.

Regards,
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 7:43 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think there was something else, as when I connedcted they display from a dead (read overcharged) 720, mine still had the same phenomena. I connected my display to my 690 and got the orange lines phenomena described in other posts.

Fortunately, Wayne and the crew at Thaddeus were able to turn my unit around quickly. They received it Tuesday and I got it back yesterday! Today I am using it to write this post!

Thanks Thaddeus!

MEW

P.S. - Can you tell I'm glad to have my 720 back??

MEW

Top of the page
willkoh
willkoh Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 4:22 PM
#
"I do have a 690 that had the screen crack, so I may end up playing surgeon and trying this screen with that CPU - if it works with the 690, then I guess I have fried chip in the 720. "

You mean it's possible to do that on one's own? I mean, cables to LCDs from devices ain't exactly a nice plug in the hole, it's more like a flat built-in-on-both-ends strap that might have been torn off (i did that to a laptop accidentaly) which may be really hard to find and insert...

Good to known there are those repairing HPCs though. My J728 has a sligth tilt of graphics in the upper area and also shows some downwards-light "shadows" from graphical objects such as the cards in solitaire. But then, my previous J720 which my mother broke in ager (ok, that's another story, she paid for this one) also had that fenomena, so even if I could get a new screen (if they're manufactured) it might be just the same. But no tilting, though, so that makes my old screen slightly better (I still have the broken hpc, and the the screen is connected just like on the laptop i broke)
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Willkoh:

Yes, the LCD connectors are non-standard. However, the LCD screens in the Jornada series 680, 680e, 690, 690e, 710, 720 and 728 are the same model, so they're fully interchangeable. either by swapping the whole LCD assembly (LCD, bezel, covers, and hinge) or opening the assembly and just swapping the LCD. It's not very difficult, provided you use the right tools (T5/T6 Torx screwdriver and a flat one for opening the LCD case).

Hope this helps.

BTW there's another thread called "j720 transflective lcd mod" that mentions the name of the panel, in case you want to buy a new one from Hitachi

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

willkoh - 2005-08-27 10:22 PM

Good to known there are those repairing HPCs though. My J728 has a sligth tilt of graphics in the upper area and also shows some downwards-light "shadows" from graphical objects such as the cards in solitaire. But then, my previous J720 which my mother broke in ager (ok, that's another story, she paid for this one) also had that fenomena, so even if I could get a new screen (if they're manufactured) it might be just the same. But no tilting, though, so that makes my old screen slightly better (I still have the broken hpc, and the the screen is connected just like on the laptop i broke)

how do you mean this? what's this tilt of graphics and those shadows? sorry for not understanding. but i'm interested
 Top of the page
ollesor Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 3:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

before sending it for repair or doing a radical surgery on the screen, try this:
1. remove the main battery.
2. tighten the three small screws inside battery compartment (you can use a precision philips screwdriver).
3. replace the main battery.
4. turn on the hpc.

it worked for my 720. hope it works for you.

good luck!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10