x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Trying to pick H/PC. Anyone have comparison shots?

shumacher Page Icon Posted 2005-07-31 9:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm considering the purchase of a new PDA to replace my aging Sony Vaio Picturebook PCG-C1VN. It was intended to serve as a "super PDA" of sorts, but it's been far from useful. It's too big, too power hungry, too fragile, and too slow to boot. I want something that can handle light surfing, email and chat over wifi, bluetooth and possibly cellular. Also also want a device with the smarts to handle file-centric work like FTP, and a keyboard would be great for telnet and SSH sessions.
I spent much of yesterday looking at PocketPC models and accesory keyboards, but found the Jornada 680e and NEC Mobile Pro 780 available at a very reasonable price at Tigerdirect.com.

I previously carried a Casio A-11 Cassiopeia, and found it acceptable in size. I've also carried a Handspring Visor, Handspring Treo 300 and Palm M100. All of the Palm models were acceptable in size, but were not sufficiently powerful.

Well, I'm trying to get a feel for the size of the NEC Mobile Pro 780 and Jornada 680e, and while a search of the forums and a googling will find many, many comparisons of the respective sizes of these two products, I've never found both models in the same photo.

Anyone have photos of the NEC Mobile Pro 780 and HP Jornada 680e together or of these two units with some commonly found item, so I can get a feel for the dimensions?

Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

IIRC, Yahoo HPC group has a picture with MP and Jornada and Sig3 in same picture.

My thread about my Smartbook has pictures comparing it to the Jornada 728 and C1MV picturebook, and another set of pictures comparing it to the Mobile Pro 780.

The models you mentioned are running HPC Pro, which comes with IE3. For today's webpages, you probably want at least HPC2000 with IE4. If you visit fancier websites, you want CE .net with IE5 or IE6.

Other functions you mentioned are pretty common among all HPCs
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 7:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think you would find the Mobilepro only slightly smaller than your picturebook. Seems for portability I might go the Jornada route myself. While the MPs are super for what they do, and really lead the group in data entry ease, they fall behind the pack when it comes to putting them in your pocket...you simply don't.

Rich
 Top of the page
shumacher Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

takwu - 2005-07-31 11:33 PM

IIRC, Yahoo HPC group has a picture with MP and Jornada and Sig3 in same picture.

My thread about my Smartbook has pictures comparing it to the Jornada 728 and C1MV picturebook, and another set of pictures comparing it to the Mobile Pro 780.

The models you mentioned are running HPC Pro, which comes with IE3. For today's webpages, you probably want at least HPC2000 with IE4. If you visit fancier websites, you want CE .net with IE5 or IE6.

Other functions you mentioned are pretty common among all HPCs

Thanks for the tips takwu, I appreciate the advice.

Found your thread posts:
With the Jornada and C1MV, and NEC Mobile Pro 780.
But I couldn't figure out which group you were looking at over at http://groups.yahoo.com/
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

these are the same reasons why i didn't get a sony C1 instead of a hpc. a notebook even if it's a sub-subnotebook can't replace a pda.

you can look at my comparison pics too, NEC MP900 and jornada 728 (same comparison applies to the 780 and 680e):
http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php

the tasks you want it to perform shouldn't be a problem. though bluetooth might be harder with a hpc pro unit. hpc2000 is better for that. i use socket bluetooth with my hpc's and it works great!
i'm not too sure about SSH but i know someone got it working on hpc2000
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12