x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can't get activesync 3.8 to work with Jornada 720

1 2
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 9:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, just got my J720 and I can't get it to sync with the windows XP desktop i'm using. Its connected to the Pc using the usb cable on the docking cradle. I've tried different ports and even a new cable but no luck. I'm concerned the cradle may have had it

Any ideas? I'm thinking I might have to perform a hard reset to see if that works but as I've entered a fair bit of information that's a last resort.

Cheers, Rob.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is ActiveSync biting the connection & trying to sync?
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Activesync fires up fine and tries to create a partnership (goes through the "get connected" wizard) but sees nothing at the other end.

Is it an issue with v3.8? Should I revert to an earlier version?

Cheers, Rob.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Oh, I've had that problem. My advice is to just keep trying, it will eventually 'see' your J720.

Nick
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 6:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well i've kept trying (20 or so times) and no joy. I've tried different usb ports and leads so it lloks like the cradle may be faulty. I've even replaced activesync 3.8 with 3.5.

I'm going to get a serial cable and try that instead.

Rob.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

try another PC first.
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 8:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Should have said. Also doesn't work on my laptop at home.

Rob.
 Top of the page
BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 1:01 PM
#
Hey everyone. OK, I tried the search function but it isn't working... I also looked manualy through the windows, but can't find anything pertinent to my problem.. I am going to post, and hope

I am having trouble with Activesync. When I connect the jornada 720 to the pc via the usb cradle, it connects, syns and finds the connection fine. No probs, but when I try to drag a file into the jornada (destination is the 5GB pcmcia Storage card) It seems to be working, and the bar starts to move showing the transfer progress... then it says the DESTINATION DEVICE IS INACITVE... and to restar and try to reconnect. I have done this but it KEEPS happening and seems to be at the exact same time too. I have copied MP3's over fine recently, but I used WMP9 to transfer them.
I thought it was an issue with the version of active sync so I went back and installed 3.1 which always worked, and still the same problem. I am stumped, and it's juast not letting me transfer stuff I need badly, as I'm going back to uni tomorrow, and won't be home for about a month.
I'm running windows 2000 on my pc.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanx in advance,

.......IB a n e

Edited by BANE J720 2005-09-21 1:03 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 2:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

How big are the files you're copying
What are the file types
Have you tried disabling file conversion
Is the CF disk still running and usable on the H/PC while that error is on screen

?
 Top of the page
BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 2:39 PM
#
Hey, well this one specific file is about 50MB. I JUST disabled the file conversion there now and that seemd to allow the transfer to continue for longer, however I was still confronted with the same problem.
As I transferred, I played music from the card too. Just before the error appeared the music stopped playing... then the error on the pc arrived. HOWEVER , i tryed to access the card while the error was up and the card functioned fine, and even played music when I hit play again.
I have quite safely transferred upwards of 200 MB before over USB. This is just baffling me.

..............IB a n e

EDIT: if it's pertinent, After the error I still show as being connected, both on the PC and the Handheld. But I get the same error each time I try to transfer.

Edited by BANE J720 2005-09-21 2:52 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 3:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

IF you start uploading the file to the disk and use I don't know, SpaceLeft (for example) to monitor the disk usage, is it actually writing the file onto the CF - or is it getting caught in a buffer / device RAM?
 Top of the page
BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 3:40 PM
#
Ok, the file is writing to the card successfully, and the main program memory seems to be bufferring about 1 MB at a time. (jumping from 11 to 10 and back to 11 MB free.
The card SPACE FREE is getting smaller. So it APPEARS to function properly.
THEN the error hits, and after I hit OK on the error window, the space on the card JUMP BACK UP to what it origionally started out as before the transferstarted.

...........IB a n e
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 4:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

BANE J720 - 2005-09-21 8:39 PM

Hey, well this one specific file is about 50MB.

I have quite safely transferred upwards of 200 MB before over USB. This is just baffling me.

ok we've found the source of the problem then. activesync cannot reliably copy such large files... sometimes it fails even at files as small as 2-3 MB. but don't worry there's a solution.. i'd recommend you the wince plugin for total commander (PC version! ). you will still need an active connection via activesync but TC will be responsible for the file transfer. it works beautifully with large files, worth a try...

200 MB, hm was it ONE file or several?
 Top of the page
BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 5:25 PM
#
lol it was once. lol but it worked! and speaking of which, this time I thought it was cracked and it was going to work,but I got to 28% and I get an error saying ERROR IN DOWNLOADING.. I'm really wondering if it's the PCMCIA harddrive. Recently i have had trouble with it corrupting music files randomly...when this happens they stop playing in WMP on the unit (when they had worked fine before) it also doesn't allow me to transfer them. I have to delete them and re rip the music or whatever. My plan of action was to back the HD up on my mates laptop ( can't do it by usb 2GB isn't nice by usb lol) And then FORMAT the hardrive from his laptop, then put it back on again. perhaps it's a problem that only the PCMCIA Harddrives formating will solve.... i can't try a large file to the main memory as the main memory won't accommodate it.

Thanx you so much for your speedy and helpful responces, I appreciate it. and Total commander and WINCE plugin will be good for next time too (if This format works)

...........IB a n e

Edited by BANE J720 2005-09-21 5:32 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 8:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I thought that you would have formatted the disk by now.

It's certainly the first thing I would do.

I know that I can AS several hundred MB of file between PC / CF.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30