x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hp620lx and questions

latinvixen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello, I am new here and just found this site thanks to a friend . I want to post upfront that I am sorry if this is a repost of any kind but I am confused with a few things.

I just found an hp 620lx ( it only has the power cord, no cable to connect to the pc) that was given to me a while ago but I had never found a use for it..appart from playing solitare back in the day. Now that I found it again I wanted to know how much I could do with it.

I just read that you can get online with it with one of the wireless cards. I have never tried it and was wondering how hard it was to install the drivers on the HPC, or is it all done through the active sync?. I am totally new to this so bear with me.

The main things I want this HPC to do are these:
-be able to go online and view most sites (not to sure how much I can view with the browser it has)
-Go on AIM and yahoo messenger
-Go on irc
-Be able to check my email

I was also wondering if I could use my cellphone as a modem. I have a treo 650 that has infrared but was wondering if I could use that one to connect it to the HPC and be able to go online at all?.

Thanks for reading guys
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 5:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Greetings & welcome to HPC:Factor.

You will really want to get yourself connected to ActiveSync 3.8. This can be done equally well through Infrared as through a serial cable. You need to do this once before you can sync using a network.

For wireless cards, you will want to install SP1, the HPC:Factor NSP (downloads, support and patching), and of course drivers. Which will of course require a compatible card. The best place to research that is in the HCL (Hardware).

IM may be a problem. You can access POP mail on it, but not secure websites.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 5:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

1) install is easy with activesync 3.8
2) you can view some sites, but some other sites will not display correctly. should do for light browsing
3) AIM, yahoo, irc isn't a problem at all, you can do it.
4) email? probably no problem again, depending which kind of email you'd like to check. if it has pop3, then it's easy gmail should work too in the browser
5) yes you can use a phone with infrared i'm not sure about the treo, you need to ask treo users
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-08-01 11:24 PM

IM may be a problem. You can access POP mail on it, but not secure websites.

no, IM is no problem really i've done IM on the MC16 (ce 2.0) just to try if it works and yeah it works.
but gmail won't work then, if it can't do SSL, sorry i forgot that
 Top of the page
latinvixen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So if I have infrared I connect without a cable to the pc (just asking because the hpc doesnt have a cable)? if so how do I do that. I have a desktop and 2 laptops, do they usually come equiped with that , and if they do how do I activate it.

thanks for all the help
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 7:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

IR is a substitute for serial, yes.
Your system needs to have an IR port in it, or you need to get one for it. USB ones are cheap as chips.
 Top of the page
latinvixen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just found out my boyfriend has infrared in his laptop, how do I make the hpc and laptop detect each other?.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 5:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
fragenmensch
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 8:47 AM
#
C:Amie - 2005-08-01 7:04 PM

IR is a substitute for serial, yes.
Your system needs to have an IR port in it, or you need to get one for it. USB ones are cheap as chips.

well but you can use the chip ones under win95 the usbs require win98se.

marco
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9