x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which phone for GPRS

dave
dave Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:34 PM
#
My current phone , a nokia 3200 has IR and GPRS but will not work as a modem.
Which nokia phones will work well as an IR modem with a NEC 780 ?
( i would like to just pop my sim card into it, so it needs to be compatible with att/cing)
It needs to be cheap, that I can buy off Ebay for this purpose. Preferably a tough
common model.

Or better yet, does anyone know of a pre-paid cell company that has a phone
cabable of the above ?

Or even anything you think might be helpfull for me , thanks .
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'm not surprised it didn't work with a nokia...
because it is likely you need a specific init string. did you try any? what was the error message if there was any?

if you don't want to fiddle with confusing strings then just get an ericsson t39m or t68i. or if you want a nokia definitely then maybe 6600 but i'm not sure about that (no personal experience)
they're common enough and will not need any specific settings just the right dial number (if you don't know much of that just tell me and i'll try to help)
 Top of the page
Rihia Page Icon Posted 2005-08-01 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

you will need to find a phone that gets recognised by a computer to be used as a modem. but even if u find one it will be hard to find the correct driver
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 3:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rihia, it isn't that bad. basically all gprs enabled phones will appear to the HPC as modems, and no driver is needed apart from a reg edit replacing "driver" if you can't select the right modem by default (i.e. not selectable in remote networking when creating a new connection). this generic irda driver can be downloaded from hpcfactor and most devices will need COM3. you can do the same by registry editing but it is easier to just install the hpcfactor driver
the trick is: does the phone needs a special init string or will the standard ones that the HPC sends to the modem be enough? there are trickier phone models which need a special string, others don't most of the time.

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-02 3:25 AM
 Top of the page
dave
dave Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 8:50 AM
#
Thanks for the replies. Which of those t39m and t68i would be best ? I assume they both use their IR for their modem capibilities ?

Also anyone know of a prepaid option ? ATT wireless got more than my mortage last year ;-(
 Top of the page
dave
dave Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 8:58 AM
#
Nokia's site says it cant be used as a modem.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

dave - 2005-08-02 2:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Which of those t39m and t68i would be best ? I assume they both use their IR for their modem capibilities ?

both are very good models
you can use even bluetooth with them.. i use this instead of IR, so much more convenient..
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 2:06 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yes, does anyone know if there is a prepaid service in the USA that I could use for my 720? (hotel phone calls definitely aren't cheap anymore...) (for my modem)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.158 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12