x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OMG : Jornada 720 plays Youtube

1 2
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-08 1:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Amazing...simply amazing!

Using Stefans fabulous porting of Devuan combined with SSH/X11 to a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ running VNC server...run vnc viewer from ssh/x11 shell

The sound comes from the RasPI and preceeds the video several seconds or so.

I can't believe this. Stefan you are quite the Wizard!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-08 2:00 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-09 4:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hint hint...wake up and smile people...These developments "jail break" the jornada from an obsolete device to a modern full featured one. This amounts to an explosion in available content! I am listening to Joe Cocker singing "A Little Help from my Friends" as I write this...via Youtube...which goes on streaming multiple videos without my effort.

True the video is a bit choppy...but good quality otherwise...great for podcasts, interview talking heads video, music...just free access to the music is vonderful! And what about the Three Stooges "Disorder in the court"...etc.

Next project is to 3D print a docking cradle to hold the raspberryPi and its battery internally...and perhaps replace the wired wifi card with wireless (which are easier to find and cheaper...provided they don't slow down the J20 rendering speed. Also, there is a time lag of 6 seconds on the sound...so a delay needs to be setup.

Its really pleasant typing this on the Jornada 720 while listening to youtube video music...good quality sound from a speaker plugged into the raspi...you have to set the configuration from the command line interface direct sound from default hdmi to headphone jack...very easy to do.

Try it...you WILL be impressed!!!

C:Amie...is there any way to move this post to the winCE hp2000 section for J720 users....I don't want to duplicate posts. Thanks in advance!

Edited by joval 2020-12-09 4:42 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-09 8:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval,

Glad that you got this working and enjoying it.....

So, key to using J720 effectively as a computer is to buy another computer and then use as it your computer by running it on the J720 , correct?

Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2020-12-09 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

All forums for obsolete devices seem to attract nutty people with too much time on their hands eventually.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 12:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I knew there would probably be purists out there who would object to this hybrid approach.... but afterall one can make the claim that a wifi card is another processor/computer, n'esce-pas?

If you have half a dozen J720 laying around, as I do, and you have several quasi obsolete 5 yr old RaspberryPi micro-computers $25 each...that able to run for 12 hours on a cell phone charging pack (which when combined are the size of a pack of cigarettes ...not a carton!), and that will run all modern browsers and most apps...it doesn't really seem as blasphemous as some might want to make it out to be to use the J720 in this manner. Easily taken along on my electric bicycle rides and very little to lose if I wipe out on a mountain climb on it!

Stephan's Devuan port makes it possible, and enlarging the 1st (FAT 32) partition enough to hold the HP WinCe backup file.... which provides essentially dual boot option and shared storage...well, it gives you the best of both worlds. You can have the standby battery longevity of wince by shutting down devuan, and can boot into Devuan when you want to join the rest of the world/universe and enjoy its content. Seems a NO Brainer to me. Combined package is smaller than a Mobile pro 900 esp if one fits it all in the stock docking cradle! All this for probably less than $50.

But , then again...maybe I'm just not as astute as those "H/PC Elite" types who show signs of being in Mental "Lock down" far, far toooo long and seemingly preferring it!!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-10 12:26 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 12:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Easy ol' boy......didn't mean to give you heartburn.....

Again, as I mentioned, I'm glad you are having such fun with your J720......really......

And can understand the merit of your idea of best of both worlds in your usage scenario.

Who knows, if Newsomlini continues the lockdown here, I might end up following your lead....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 2:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Markus, ol' Boy...please don't get a wedgie over the last statement of my previous post...that only applied to the "Nutty" post from one entitled "hpc factor elite" ...not you.

I,too,appreciate and recognize your many efforts make debian/devuan work on the J720. IMO there isn't anything out there with the build quality or battery life or superb keyboard or the cozy feel or instant "on" that I find with the J720.

I am only now able to write to you on this site because of the work Stephan, ntware, yourself among others ,( and you know it is Stephan primarily) have done on the Linux front to port debian/devuan to the J720.

In an industry and culture where programmed obsolescence is the norm and computer waste and disposal is a major environmental concern I prefer to "Re-purpose." If that is a "nutty" concept then why bother with the hours of frustration trying to get debian to run on a J720 with 32Mb ??? The RasPi runs on debian too...so I am learning Linux by using both small devices...which is one good reason alone to be doing these things.

Now,there is no way the J720 200 MHz processor is going to handle today's security computing needs like the 1 GHz or better RasPi. It's the best of both worlds...yet WinCe retains its place too.
(I learned a lot of HTML from the stock J720.)

Best regards'
John
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 3:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

And don't forget the RasPi has Bluetooth Wifi too...should work with wireless earbuds/speakers etc...so the J720 will have it indirectly. I'll check it out and report back.

Face the facts: Stefan has started a Revolution...the battle is on...he has unleashed the Genie...and it is taking on a life of its own. There can be no greater gift for J720 owners. Absolutely True!!!

Just loving listening to youtube music as I write this and "spread the word"...what a new fun experience!!

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 3:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

And don't forget the RasPi has Bluetooth Wifi too...should work with wireless earbuds/speakers etc...so the J720 will have it indirectly. I'll check it out and report back.

Face the facts: Stefan has started a Revolution...the battle is on...he has unleashed the Genie...and it is taking on a life of its own. There can be no greater gift for J720 owners. Absolutely True!!!

Just loving listening to youtube music as I write this and "spread the word"...what a new fun experience!!

******Written from my Jornada 720 running Devuan/x11/VNC/Raspi 3B+ *******

Edited by joval 2020-12-10 3:10 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 4:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2020-12-09 6:13 PM

Markus, ol' Boy...please don't get a wedgie over the last statement of my previous post...that only applied to the "Nutty" post from one entitled "hpc factor elite" ...not you.

Not too worry, no wedgie action going on over here....

I,too,appreciate and recognize your many efforts make debian/devuan work on the J720. IMO there isn't anything out there with the build quality or battery life or superb keyboard or the cozy feel or instant "on" that I find with the J720.

I am only now able to write to you on this site because of the work Stephan, ntware, yourself among others ,( and you know it is Stephan primarily) have done on the Linux front to port debian/devuan to the J720.

In an industry and culture where programmed obsolescence is the norm and computer waste and disposal is a major environmental concern I prefer to "Re-purpose." If that is a "nutty" concept then why bother with the hours of frustration trying to get debian to run on a J720 with 32Mb ??? The RasPi runs on debian too...so I am learning Linux by using both small devices...which is one good reason alone to be doing these things.

Now,there is no way the J720 200 MHz processor is going to handle today's security computing needs like the 1 GHz or better RasPi. It's the best of both worlds...yet WinCe retains its place too.
(I learned a lot of HTML from the stock J720.)

Best regards'
John

Thanks for the good words, John.....And agree there is something special about the J720 in so many ways.

And I do understand your points about using the RPi along with J720.....it is actually a 'good marriage' in the ways you describe.

As I said earlier, who knows, I might end up falling down the same rabbit hole.....

Best regards,

Mark
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 10:45 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

ArchiMark - 2020-12-10 4:02 AM

As I said earlier, who knows, I might end up falling down the same rabbit hole.....

Come, its nice and cozy down here

I like the idea of using the Raspi together with the Jornada. I bought a Pi Zero W today to do the same! I currently print a small enclosure with a 18650 and a charging module inside: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2885245

It makes me happy to see that you guys use my Kernel and the possibility to run a newer Linux distro on the Jornada. And iam even happier that all of you share your tips/tricks and work!

Stefan
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 9:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2020-12-10 2:45 AM

ArchiMark - 2020-12-10 4:02 AM

Come, its nice and cozy down here

I like the idea of using the Raspi together with the Jornada. I bought a Pi Zero W today to do the same! I currently print a small enclosure with a 18650 and a charging module inside: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2885245

It makes me happy to see that you guys use my Kernel and the possibility to run a newer Linux distro on the Jornada. And iam even happier that all of you share your tips/tricks and work!

Stefan

I'd be going deeper down the hole as I don't have 3D printer......

Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 10:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So is this essentially how you have it set up Joval?
https://invidious.kavin.rocks/watch?v=2xBK5eD1j9w
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 3:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Nope...well, at least a lot more no than yes. Though there are similarities...

He's using a serial cable as in very slow. 9600 baud..not ethernet at 10Mbs

His router seems to run some linux commmands and he can connect to the internet as is...I am using the RasPi as a router with passthrough to WiFi via the Pi's ethernet port AND as a remote Linux/debian server.

He uses a dumb terminal...whereas (thanks to Stefan's Duvean included apps!) I am running XTERM terminal that is X11 forwarding capable (you can look it up in wikipedia) The Pi is acting as an X11 forwarding server via an SSH link up.

He is limited to "text based everything" like a command line...and browsing is limited to older insecure websites of http type with no images. Whereas, X11 gives you a beautiful GUI interface just as you see it on the desktop...as a GUI window of say Firefox, or you can have the entire remote desktop if you run VNCViewer. You have access to ALL web sites with https security and you can log in if capcta authentification is required. X11 does not forward sound, but vnc with X11 will play sound through the RasPi earphone jack (needs to configured else goes to HDMI) and youtube videos can play with vnc viewer.

More to follow...it is rather involved to set it up and a bit of a dance to get to vnc...which I think can be automated with scripting eventually. Definitely worth the effort if you're up to it IMHO

Edited by joval 2020-12-11 4:14 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 3:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This is a nice setup that I'm eager to try once I get back home. Using a dedicated ethernet connection certainly is a better solution than working around broken old wifi cards. Not to mention it is a lot faster too! I'm thinking about replicating your concept but using a slightly different hardware. I'm a big fan of the Nano Pi Neo boards. They are small, powerful and very cheap. Check the whole family here:
Nano Pi Neo 1: https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=132
Nano Pi Neo 2: https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=180
Nano Pi Neo 3: https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=279

I always though that VNC would be a great alternative to "retrofit" our beloved HPC devices, but I planned on running VNC on WinCE instead of Linux. Unfortunately the VNC ports for WinCE are quite old and don't support modern VNC servers anymore, not to mention that they are painfully slow. I thought about creating my own VNC Client for WinCE, with some optimizations for speed on those little machines, but never got the time to learn how do it. Win32 API scares me to death. Linux might be a good alternative as there are several ports to choose from. With some optimizations like framebuffer and zero compression, speed might get a nice boost and run in near real-time through Ethernet.

Also, another thing that might be nice would be to grab 5V somewhere from the Jornada motherboard to feed the Pi directly, dropping the need for a cel phone charger. This would be a near perfect retrofit. The next step would be to just move the Pi inside the CF/PCMCIA slot.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 34