x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on the Jornada 720 - Status

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 11:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Yes, +1000000000000000

Thanks, Timo!

Great work!

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-06 8:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Timo, Stefan:

I have the sound working and It's Great... really sounds good!. Many thanks!

I already had the latest kernel, so was just a matter of following Timo's CLI commands. I will upload / host image soon.

Nice!

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-06 6:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI

New disk image contains (snd-jornada720)sound driver and MOC player (type mocp to start) and "sudo for user" set up and Zram (fraction 50%) and "xdotool click 3" (for right mouse click) included!. With special Thanks to Timob0 and Stefan

Please see Timo's directions to load sound driver, etc,above. No buttons script set up yet...

Note: file size now 608Mb... runs but may run slow on 32Mb J720, much better on 64Mb rom or 128Mb. Change params.txt on Fat32 partition to appropriate size for your device.

Find it here: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D4898663_09915533_810651

Previous disk images found here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-06 6:58 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-08 8:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Now...Playing music mp3 via MOC player and simutaneously surfing internet via ssh/RasPi Zero ( run mocp after loading "sudo modprobe snd-jornada720" Timo's driver)

FYI I keep the Mp3 music files stored on the Fat32 partition so can be played in WinCE mode too, then create a Linux CLI mount point with "sudo mount /dev/hda1 /cf" so they can be played in Devuan mode. from /cf directory. Best of both worlds and why I made the Fat32 partition so large! (Similarly, can save webpages in Devuan/Linux and using included Rsync can save to Fat32 partition and view in WinCE mode with A1Reader2)

Some stutter with high cpu use at times, but works remarkably well!

I'm impressed...

joval

from a J720_64Mb mated to a RasPi Zero2

Edited by joval 2021-12-08 9:03 PM
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-09 11:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

joval - 2021-12-08 9:36 PM
run mocp after loading "sudo modprobe snd-jornada720"

you can make the driver load permanent by adding it to /etc/modules:
snd-jornada720

So you don‘t need to do the modprobe excercise each time

Cheers
timo
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-11 3:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-12-09 3:19 PM

you can make the driver load permanent by adding it to /etc/modules:
snd-jornada720

So you don‘t need to do the modprobe excercise each time

Cheers
timo

Great idea Timo but where is the location of snd-jornada720 and how do I add it to /etc/modules file? You Wiz Kids are way ahead of me!

BTW, with the hosted disk image above, even with stock J720 with 32Mb memory limit...and Zram @50%... it's slow loading up MOC and also running ssh Firefox (runs from/located on RasPi), but after that you can actually listen to Jornada play music and surf the web in a fairly snappy manner! Surprises me...

Thanks in advance... Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-11 4:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Stefan:

I just noticed the added "bx_patch=1" line in the newest PARAMS.TXT file on the Fat32 partition and will add it to the disk images that I am hosting. Wow... it sure boots up and runs faster! Thanks again!

BTW, actually running Zram fraction at 90%, seems less stutter with MOC music and firefox together... still experimenting now that bx patch is autostarted... whole new world to explore.

I am pleased because the J720 32Mb now acts more like the J720 64Mb in performance!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-11 4:42 AM
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-11 5:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Joval, it‘s really straightforward: sudo nano /etc/modules

Then just put the module name on a new line to have it automatically loaded on boot.

-Timo
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-20 10:16 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thank you all very much for awarding the Gold Membership level! I feel honored to be part of this community and hope to continue to make contributions to the Jornada Linux going forward.

Happy xmas and all the best for the new year!

Kind regards
Timo
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-22 10:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-12-20 2:16 AM

Thank you all very much for awarding the Gold Membership level! I feel honored to be part of this community and hope to continue to make contributions to the Jornada Linux going forward.

Happy xmas and all the best for the new year!

Kind regards
Timo

Season's Greetings Timo!

Congratulations on your much deserved Honorary Gold Membership!

And thank you again for your outstanding accomplishments and efforts in giving "new life and value" to the Jornada 720.

As we seen with last years Gold Membership Honoree ...Stefan, further good works are very likely to follow. (Thanks Stefan)!

We are so fortunate to have you (both) here on the HPC:Factor "team" continually blazing new trails...

And, yes, I have a few more ideas for your great-working "Jornada-config"... but will wait for next year.

best regards,

joval
...on his J720/Devuan/RasPi hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-12-22 10:22 PM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2022-08-20 7:17 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
Sorry for the downtime of my homepage and file shares. Due to extensive cost increase I had to move/remove a lot of my servers from external housing/hosting to my own house. I will slowly try to update all links and shares.

For anyone who is interested, all my websites are now hosted on a Pi4 with 8GB of RAM that is powered from my off grid photovoltaic system. So 100% environmentally friendly Jornada - Linux content
Building the kernel and various software is also done on that little Pi4.

Regards
Stefan

Edited by _dev-null 2022-08-20 7:21 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-09-25 12:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I'm happy to report that everything runs fine off a 32GB microsdhc card (Samsung Max Endurance 32GB) and a cheap chinese microsdhc to compactflash adapter
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-25 3:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

_dev-null - 2022-08-20 7:17 PM

Hi!
Sorry for the downtime of my homepage and file shares. Due to extensive cost increase I had to move/remove a lot of my servers from external housing/hosting to my own house. I will slowly try to update all links and shares.

For anyone who is interested, all my websites are now hosted on a Pi4 with 8GB of RAM that is powered from my off grid photovoltaic system. So 100% environmentally friendly Jornada - Linux content
Building the kernel and various software is also done on that little Pi4.

Regards
Stefan

I seem to have completely missed this post. How are you getting on with the server relocation? Let me more if I can assist in any way.

Is love to hear more about your off-grid setup, what you built, used, how you set it up. May be you'd consider posting in a new thread about it!
 Top of the page
dionysius Page Icon Posted 2023-01-02 10:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

The links for the disk images seem to be dead. Can you reupload?

The CF card that came with my Jornada has a copy of jLime running kernel 2.4.35.3. Is this of any use historically or as a reference to anyone? Should I save a copy and upload it somewhere?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-03 5:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

dionysius - 2023-01-02 3:42 AM

The CF card that came with my Jornada has a copy of jLime running kernel 2.4.35.3. Is this of any use historically or as a reference to anyone? Should I save a copy and upload it somewhere?

I believe it’s historically relevant to upload any kernel/Jlime versions. Is there a way you can upload it somewhere and we can archive it here at HPC:Factor ? Thanks for finding that! It’s super random you located that and very fortunate!
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10