x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cleaning NEC MP790 Screen?

1 2
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 6:43 PM
#
Anyone know how to clean a MP790's screen?

It seems the unit I just recieved has a few pen marks on the screen...

It's a refurb, so I guess I had to expect that.

Still amazing though!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

congrats on your new 790!

yep i heard you can clean them off but after that you'll need a screen protector... i don't know more now but i can ask about it again for you if you'd like to know.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 7:27 PM
#
Looks like it isn't a cosmetic thing...

Just tried to clean it off with some LCD cleaner we have laying around for the television.

Oh well, I guess I might just have to live with it!

I got my wireless card up and running, time to install stuff!
 Top of the page
jupps Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 7:50 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Dab a few drops of nail polish remover onto a cotton ball and wipe off the ink marks gently. Works on all refurb equipment that I've had.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 9:18 AM
#
Thanks, I might try that!

When I tried to clean it, it seemed like it might not be on the surface, but rather an issue under the touch screen (before the lcd).

I'm getting over it, slowly.

I need to make a post about hardware and the like, as I've already run into some difficult, and probably not unusual issues that others could benefit from.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 5:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nail polish remover comes primarily in two varieties...oil based and acetone based. I've never used either, but know that acetone is good for disolving plastics...which do you use?

I tend to use simple alcohol to clean the surface and then a soft polishing cloth to remove any residue.

Good thing these things look different when lit up than when sitting off.

Rich
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 6:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-08-05 10:21 PM

Nail polish remover comes primarily in two varieties...oil based and acetone based. I've never used either, but know that acetone is good for disolving plastics...which do you use?

I tend to use simple alcohol to clean the surface and then a soft polishing cloth to remove any residue.

Good thing these things look different when lit up than when sitting off.

Rich

About what I use, Isopropyl alcoholic cleaner from RS (Stock number: 227-4433 I think).
BE VERY CAREFUL when using it on laptop plastics as it tends to play "Strip-teese" with the paintwork, as I have found out!
 Top of the page
flamin
flamin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 11:00 PM
#
you mean you didnt know youwer buying a refurb. it should say if it is a referb on
the websight.can you send me a link!
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 11:14 PM
#
I knew I was, I'm just used to refurbished items from Compaq and the like. Most of the bigger companies' refurbs are rather clean and barely used. They also usually come with a very well backed warranty. I am happy with my MobilePro, and am looking for new things to do with it!

Oh, you really should register... Then at least you'll get a post count.
 Top of the page
flamin
flamin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:09 PM
#
I tried to register . first I typed my e.mail address and stuff like that and when it
came time for me to register it wouldnt let me it said it had an error in my e.mail address or my password.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 4:03 PM
#
I contacted Rich via email, as it seems he's had a lot of experience with these specific devices. I tried the isopropyl alcohol diluted 1:1 and nothing resulted. I am going to be calling Unity on Monday to see if they can't get me a unit that has a decent screen. I've tried to come to terms with it, but I just got the invoice and I'm not too pleased with what I spent only to get a device that wasn't of the quality I expected. Hopefully their support people will help me out. If all else fails, I'll still have the trusty (albeit messy) 790 to play with I guess. I think the marks are actually pen marks, but someone's gone and reversed the digitizer (if that's possible) so I can't clean the marks off.

Cross your fingers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

abyssknight - 2005-08-14 10:03 PM

Cross your fingers.

i'm going to!!
you should not give up! they better send you a perfect unit!
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 8:33 PM
#
At this point I'm very torn. Tomorrow is the last date by which I could essentially 'return' my MP790. I am very tempted to do so, as I really do not have a need for it and I am not sure how long it would take (and how much it would cost) to get them to send me a unit that may or may not be any better than the one I have now. *sigh* I may just accept the 10% restocking fee and try, try, again. Heck, I'm half tempted to buy one of those Jornadas, or worse... a Zaurus.

My Piddle Pee Cee and I may be standing alone soon, but I hope I can get back in on the HPC bandwagon. I really do not want to have to ship another unit back. I guess I will find out tomorrow when I call them what my options are. If they are willing to ship me a perfect unit, I may take it else... off to hpcBay I go (to look for some lovely gems to buy, hehe)!

Overall, I am pleased with the MP790 despite its DSTN screen it does not cease to amaze me how usable as a laptop it is. The keyboard is the perfect size, even though the unit makes my Axim X3i look like a flea, its still worthy of a spot in my daily arsenal. So don't get discouraged, you little HPC'ers you. The 790 is still a steal at $149 over at UsedHandhelds. Albeit, I paid quite a bit more for mine...

Thus giving me more justification to take the money and run, essentially. I could get the same HPC, again, and still keep quite a bit of money even after the restocking fee. I guess its all up in the air at this point.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh ... tough decision for sure. if they promise to send you a perfect device maybe you should accept that!

you're talking about jornadas and even zauruses.. so size matters for you? if yes, then here's my opinion..
the zaurus is the same size as a ppc, get a jornada instead!
oh and keyboard.. jornadas still have a good one, much much better than a zaurus..
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 9:35 PM
#
We'll just have to see I guess... I really would like to be able to stay a part of the community, and that really makes me want to just demand a pristine unit but on the other hand, I am not guaranteed that and ... secretly I really want to be able to say: "It plays Doom!" Just kidding. Once I get the return done, I can start looking for a new HPC I guess. Of course, this is assuming they will take it back!

Oh I'll post tomorrow night when all is said and done...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10