x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 5:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval.....

Followed your instructions...

However, when I do command to rename wlan6 to wlan0, I get the message:

RTNETLINK answers: Device or resource busy

So, doesn't rename device.

And yes, I did "/etc/init.d/connman stop" first....

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 8:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Mark,

You have to be in root ( superuser, ie "su" and password "r00t" and it should say "connman stopped" ... you need to stop connman before it will let you use the ip link command to make name change.

I gave you the wrong file in previous post to make a more name change permanent should e something like /etc/udev/rules.d/99-persistant rules ( just type nano etc/udev/rules.d/99*.* or something like that, I'm at office don't have J20...hold on I get it right....yes that's it.

the nano /var/lib/connman/seeings file is to setup wifi parameters, will give details later. Back to work now

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 8:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval...

Yes, was root.....

Found file to edit.....70-persistent-net.rules......

Found wlan6 and changed it to wlan0.

Restarted connman and Voila! it connected to guest network at work!

Bad news is that netsurf won't go to the connect page, even with trying to go to neverssl.com.

Get the can't resolve host name message.......

Dang!

So close, yet so far......

Hopefully, will be able to connect at home.....

We shall see....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 10:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hey, try Lynx ==> text.npr.org!!! You did it! Now it will work at home too... remember, .AmbiWL54 is too slow for GUI apps like Netsurf...but Lynx will work... or ping google.com. Feel the POWER!!.

Oh, I forgot you're at work, so redirect keeps you from the net now... what is your Ip a... could just try pinging it.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-02 10:40 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 10:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-02 2:20 PM

Hey, try Lynx ==> text.npr.org!!! You did it!

Thanks, but not quite.....

Until I can get to the webpage where you click button that you agree to terms of use of guest network, you're not connected to internet. You're just connected to the guest network, but can't do anything....

If you ping google, get message that network is unreachable.

Now it will work at home too... remember, .AmbiWL54 is too slow for GUI apps like Netsurf...but Lynx will work... or ping google.com. Feel the POWER!!.

Well, hopefully, it will connect at home....

Oh, I forgot you're at work, so redirect keeps you from the net now... what is your Ip a... could just try pinging it.

Joval

Exactly......

ip a shows wlan6 instead of wlan0......

Weird, as I did not restart 720.......

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-09-02 10:49 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 11:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

At least you know a few tricks. Generally you do connman stop then do the ip link set name command and then do connman start, should over ride the busy issue, but if not in connmanctl try "disable wifi" before the above.

Should be wlan0 on reboot I think... my experience is with WPA cards, haven't looked at AmbiWl54..may be bit different. Play around with these options till you get things working at home. Good job!

yeah, I meant ping your wifi router ip if you can get it.

Best

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-03 6:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All,

Very happy to report I have learned how to have the J720 Devuan boot up and Auto-Login into IceWM GUI!!! (similar to RasPi auto-login)

What a time saver! This will be included in future Devuan disk images when I get around to creating and hosting them.

Takes less than 3 minutes from jLinexec.exe start/click. Major convenience Breakthrough, IMO. Yum.

Of course it auto-connects "on boot" to WPA/WPA2 wifi thanks to connman. Next stop: create auto-shh login to RasPi with auto start firefox!! Nice!!

joval -----on hisJ720/Devuan/WPAwifi/RasPi/Firefox contraption

Edited by joval 2021-09-03 6:45 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-03 7:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Congrats, Joval......

Definitely a convenience......

Although may be a security issue for some people, not having to login.....

Mark

PS. Didn't have chance to try wifi at home last evening.....will try over the holiday weekend....
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-03 11:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-09-03 11:39 AM

Congrats, Joval......

Definitely a convenience......

Although may be a security issue for some people, not having to login.....

Mark

PS. Didn't have chance to try wifi at home last evening.....will try over the holiday weekend....

FYI, no problem re: security as it's very easy to revert to mandatory login by commenting out one line and uncommenting the adjacent line in config file.

Let me tell, using it ... it's Great!

joval and his sidekick J720/Devuan/WPA/Raspicombo
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-04 12:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Update: Takes slightly more than 2 minutes to boot into functioning IceWM !
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-04 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Gettin' pretty speedy now.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-04 6:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Markus,

just installed xapm==> now have floating battery meter on top of all apps on all workspaces!! So can monitor battery status now.... great!!! Really needed that, too.

FYI figured out why we are having wlanx wifi id issue. When I first created the working connman image I booted it up and tried several different wifi cards, not knowing each one would be named sequentially, so connman / devuan named them wlan0, wlan1,wlan2,wlan3,wlan4. I used/saved that image in Win32imager and hosted it for everyone to download without deleting those wifi card listings, When you'all burned the image to your sd cards and then plug in you wifi card, it automatically gets named wlan5 or wlan6 which screws up connman as it only connects with wlan0 name.

Here is the simple fix: in superuser/root (su) cd into "/var/lib/connman" and then ls -a list files(directories actually).... you will see many "wifi_macaddress_ssid-hex_psk" entries(directories). Delete them all with "rm wifi_* -R"!!! That's: rm wifi_* -R . Then start /usr/sbin/connmanctl and re-configure your wifi card with enable wifi, scan wifi , services, agent on, connect space tab, etc. Once connected it will ask for password/phrase and will connect and create new ID file in /var/lib/connman folder as wlan0!

I should have deleted those conflicting file before I made the hosted file... and will do so in later images so this shouldn't happen and renaming won't be required ( unless you swap out multiple wifi cards as I did... in which case do the 70persisent-rules editing all names to wlan0 as discussed above). This should fix the problem... just delete those old wifi ID's in var/lib/connman.

Things are really getting exciting now!!!

best regards,

joval ---on the J720/Duvean/WPAwifi/RasPi/Firefox hybrid uno mas

Edited by joval 2021-09-04 6:51 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-04 9:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Here at Chevy's and finally made it through the captive portal redirect...J720 using ethernet to via unencrypted ssh to RasPi via VNCviewer. RasPi connects Chevy's wifi unencrypted but redirect asking for name and email address... expect email ads will be sent... the price of admission!

Fajitas just arrived abd margarita running low.. so adios muchachos, gots to eat those nachos.

best,
joval on the J720/devuan/Raspi conglomeration!

Edited by joval 2021-09-04 9:51 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-05 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hey Joval,

Having xapm sounds good...nice to know battery status...wonder if it or something similar could go in the taskbar panel?

Great that you figured out the wlan issue!

What do what you suggest when I have some time....hopefully, this weekend.....

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-05 2:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great that you got connected with captive portal redirect......

Livin' the good life over there I see.....

Mmmmmm.....fajitas and margaritas......nachos......doesn't get much better than that, amigo....

Hasta luego,

Mark

Top of the page
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8