x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 12:50 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ArchiMark - 2021-08-27 3:36 AM

OK, some good news....

Ubuntu Mate installed.....

However, when I opened it, I got several error message windows open one after the other:

1. The panel encountered a problem while loading "IndicatorAppletCompleteFactory: IndicatorAppletComlete"

2. The panel encountered a problem while loading "BriskMenuFactory: BriskMenu"

3. The panel encountered a problem while loading "TrashAppletFactory: TrashApplet"

Messages asked if I want delete or not delete. I chose not to delete.

While I can see the taskbar at bottom of display, I can only see the edge of the button at left corner of display. So far I have not been able to get to button to open it and open a program. I am using my targus mini-mouse.

Found an Ubuntu webpage on keyboard shortcuts. To access the programs button, you press 'Super' + 'A' keys. Is there a key that will act as Super key?

Any suggestions to fix the above?

Thanks,

Mark

Got that error too when I tried installing Ubuntu Mate. Hence, I used LXDE, but with some errors. Strange...
 Top of the page Quote Reply
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 2:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for letting me know, Stingraze....

Maybe install does need to be on SD card....

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-08-27 2:30 AM
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 4:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2021-08-26 11:46 AM

Thank you for your detailed input.

Would have thought that developer would have tested the distros before offering them as options....but who knows...

It would be quite hard for the developers to test all Linux distros on all possible different hardware configurations. Since Linux is actually running natively on your device with this approach, it can be a little complicated to make sure everything works as expected. In fact, all Linux Deploy does is setup the chroot container and then the rest is conducted by the distro installers (package managers). This would be more a problem for the distro devs instead of the app devs.

ArchiMark - 2021-08-26 11:46 AM
I installed on using file....

Don't understand why you say this approach is limited to 4GB....when I installed rooted Android, I selected option to creeate 90GB partition for linux.

Your Linux partition has nothing to do with this. Well, not when you use the "file" option. What the "file" option does is that it creates a file on your Android filesystem that is mounted as a separate partition. This avoids the hassle of creating partitions, formatting, etc. The problem is that Android's filesystem is based on FAT32, which means that the largest file size is limited to 4GB. In other words, your "virtual" partition cannot grow beyond 4GB, otherwise Android cannot handle it.

That's why dealing directly with a partition instead of a file is a lot better. In fact, I strongly believe that all problems you guys are facing is related to lack of storage space. You're probably running out of space during installation and then things get broken. I've done my installation a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it went smoothly the first time.

Since you have a Linux partition in dual boot on your device, you can actually tell Linux Deploy to boot that instead. I've managed to boot Gemian on Linux Deploy and it worked well, I mean, as well as it could run. It is such a broken system that it is not actually worth playing with it much. Instead, you could just erase the contents of your Gemian partition (it should be already in ext4 since it holds a Linux filesystem) and then use that partition on Linux Deploy to install Ubuntu Mate. It should work the same as using an SD Card, as long as you point to the right partition.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 2:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for your input, ntware....

Makes sense what you say about the various distros....I was confusing this with how Andronix supplies modded distros, like the one I was using.

Will try installing on the linux partition and see what happens.

Onward and upwards.....
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I can confirm that installing directly on your Linux partition works and possibly might be even better than the SD Card method due to the disk access speed being higher on the internal disk vs sd card. Beware that by doing this you will completely remove Gemian from your device as Linux Deploy formats the partition first.

The first step is figuring out which partition is your Linux partition. This is quite easy on terminal. Just open Termux and type 'cat /proc/partitions' and you will have an output like this:
$cat /proc/partitions                                                                     < 
major minor  #blocks  name 

254 0 1957540 zram0
179 0 61071360 mmcblk0
179 1 16384 mmcblk0p1
179 2 512 mmcblk0p2
179 3 10240 mmcblk0p3
179 4 1024 mmcblk0p4
179 5 8192 mmcblk0p5
179 6 32768 mmcblk0p6
179 7 32768 mmcblk0p7
179 8 8192 mmcblk0p8
179 9 12768 mmcblk0p9
179 10 8192 mmcblk0p10
179 11 2048 mmcblk0p11
179 12 3072 mmcblk0p12
179 13 24576 mmcblk0p13
179 14 4096 mmcblk0p14
179 15 3072 mmcblk0p15
179 16 5120 mmcblk0p16
179 17 1024 mmcblk0p17
179 18 1024 mmcblk0p18
179 19 5120 mmcblk0p19
179 20 512 mmcblk0p20
179 21 512 mmcblk0p21
179 22 16384 mmcblk0p22
179 23 8192 mmcblk0p23
179 24 5120 mmcblk0p24
179 25 5120 mmcblk0p25
179 26 13312 mmcblk0p26
179 27 2621440 mmcblk0p27
179 28 442368 mmcblk0p28
179 29 31120384 mmcblk0p29
179 30 16384 mmcblk0p30
179 31 16384 mmcblk0p31
259 0 26608623 mmcblk0p32
259 1 16384 mmcblk0p33
179 96 4096 mmcblk0rpmb
179 64 4096 mmcblk0boot1
179 32 4096 mmcblk0boot0
253 0 26608623 dm-0
179 128 124868608 mmcblk1
179 129 124867584 mmcblk1p1

As you can see, my main disk is mmcblk0 with 61GB. It has several partitions (quite a mess done by Planet Computer) with bootloader, Android, etc. The two largest partitions inside my disk are mmcblk0p29 (with 31GB) and mmcblk0p32 (with 26GB). Since I know my Linux partition is bigger than my Android partition (this was my configuration when I installed Android and Linux), I can know for sure that mmcblk0p29 is my Linux partition and mmcblk0p32 is my Android partition. Make sure you get the correct partition otherwise you might get unexpected results trying to overwrite Android filesystem on Linux Deploy. To know for certain, on Termux type the following commands:
su 
mkdir /mnt/test_partition
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p29 /mnt/test_partition

This command should mount your Linux partition inside /mnt/test_partition. Go to that folder and check its contents. You should see a bunch of Linux stuff. If that's what you see, then for sure that's your Linux partition. In fact, trying to mount the Android partition will give you an error, so if you can't mount it, probably that's your Android partition.

With that information in mind, just configure Linux Deploy as I mentioned before, but instead of selecting File, select Partition and on path put your Linux partition's path, like
/dev/block/mmcblk0p29
. Select Install, wait for it to finish, then select Configure, and then you should be good to go.

Again, this will REPLACE your Gemian completely with whatever Linux you chose to install on Linux Deploy. It probably won't boot in Linux mode again until you reinstall Gemian. Be advised.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 6:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

THANK YOU, ntware, for the instructions!

I found my linux partition at mmcblk0p43.

Followed your instructions...and then tried to do install.

Here's what happens (tried 2x):

>>> deploy

:: Installing bootstrap/rootfs ...

Checking installation path ... done

Waking file system (ext4) ... fail

<<< deploy

?????

Thanks.
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

PS: Ahh, now I see the errors on the panels you guys were mentioning about. Yeah, those are normal. Just hit delete on all the alerts and you won't be bothered again. You will though have to configure your panel to your liking. To configure the panels, just right click on them and select one of the options. This is how I configure it:

1. Remove the top panel, it is useless and we don't have a lot of screen space. Right click -> Delete this panel.

2. On the botton panel remove everything that is left so that you end up with a blank panel. Some items are locked, so you will need to right click on them, select unlock, and then you can remove them.

3. Add the main menu. You need to at least add a "start menu" to access your programs. Right click on the bottom left corner of the bottom panel and select Add to Panel. On the list that appears, choose Main Menu and hit Add. This should bring you the applications menu on the left corner. You can also move it around to your liking.

4. Add the open windows taskbar. This is also important so you can quickly switch between open programs, like you normally do on Windows. Right click on panel -> add to panel -> Window List

Done! You should have a working MATE experience now. As an added bonus, the theme that comes with it sucks. My final customization step is to open control center -> appearance, and then select a theme from the list. The one I like the most is "blue submarine".

After that you can also install mate-tweak as I mentioned before to configure high DPI.
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2021-08-27 1:55 PM

>>> deploy

<<< deploy

?????

Thanks.

Are you sure you granted root privileges to Linux Deploy? This is the step where it asks me for root to format the partition. Have you tried mounting your partition on Termux?
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 7:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-08-27 10:59 AM

ArchiMark - 2021-08-27 1:55 PM

>>> deploy

<<< deploy

?????

Thanks.

Are you sure you granted root privileges to Linux Deploy? This is the step where it asks me for root to format the partition. Have you tried mounting your partition on Termux?

Don't know.....

Don't recall being asked to do this.....I just started install process from the '3 Dot' menu in upper right corner...

Yes, I mounted partition in Termux to check for linux files as per your instructions.

**** Meanwhile, just looked in repo, and then clicked on Ubuntu Arm64....it popped up message about making purchase. Do you need to purchase access to install?

**** Just found website with Linux Deploy instructions. They say to first install busybox. Is this correct?

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-08-27 7:16 PM
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm... try formatting your partition first then. You will need a Linux to do that. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to do it from Termux. If you still have one of those "File" installations, boot that on Linux Deploy, launch it on VNC and then open terminal and type
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p42

Tip: You can keep several different Linux installations at Linux Deploy by creating new "Profiles"
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2021-08-27 2:10 PM

**** Meanwhile, just looked in repo, and then clicked on Ubuntu Arm64....it popped up message about making purchase. Do you need to purchase access to install?

**** Just found website with Linux Deploy instructions. They say to first install busybox. Is this correct?

I never bought anything and don't remember having to install busybox. But if it asks, busybox won't hurt. It basically installs Linux essential commands on your system
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 7:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, will try what you suggest and report back....

ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 8:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-08-27 11:17 AM

Hmm... try formatting your partition first then. You will need a Linux to do that. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to do it from Termux. If you still have one of those "File" installations, boot that on Linux Deploy, launch it on VNC and then open terminal and type
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p42

Tip: You can keep several different Linux installations at Linux Deploy by creating new "Profiles"

Had to reinstall Ubuntu...decided to try lxde.....works OK.....

Except problem in terminal....

Can't type a '-' hypen.....fn key is not recognized when typing.....

Unfortunately, when I tried opening an onscreen keyboard, the leftmost icon, in the blue VNC taskbar nothing happens....

???
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

As I said on my first post, the only vnc client that supports the Fn key on the Gemini is Remote Desktop Manager (you need to press Fn + Shift for it to work)
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 9:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-08-27 1:12 PM

As I said on my first post, the only vnc client that supports the Fn key on the Gemini is Remote Desktop Manager (you need to press Fn + Shift for it to work)

Sorry, been awhile since I looked at your first post......

Just tried Fn + Shift + - and it worked!

However, when I try to format partition, I got mount is busy message...

So did umount on partition.....

But when I try to format partition now, I still get message that "partition is apparently still in use by system and will not make a filesystem here!"

???
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29