x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

You definitely should. Gemini is not perfect, but definitely is the best HPC of this decade. I consider it the Gen Z's Jornada 720 / Psion 5mx
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 4:28 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I appreciate and understand ntware's, and others' problems with gemian, but for me, I found my way through it. True, it's not as finger-friendly as Android, but it's easily key-stroked, and still fast enough to use as a main computer on a short trip. I like running a linux on a computer that has no Android at all (though I dual boot my Cosmo so it can be a backup phone).

Jake
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 11:08 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

My Cosmo Communicator is good for lots of things, but I like typing things with it while listening to podcasts a lot.
The thing is, after rooting, for some reason Google Play won't let me install apps on 4G, will have to fix that somehow.
Update: The Google Play installed apps after I fiddled with the APN settings.

Edited by stingraze 2021-10-14 11:18 AM
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2021-10-13 11:28 PM

I appreciate and understand ntware's, and others' problems with gemian, but for me, I found my way through it. True, it's not as finger-friendly as Android, but it's easily key-stroked, and still fast enough to use as a main computer on a short trip. I like running a linux on a computer that has no Android at all (though I dual boot my Cosmo so it can be a backup phone).

Jake

If Gemian at least had a working external display output I would keep it. This is my main complain about it. For the other minor things like suspend, keyboard, true hardware acceleration, outdated packages, etc I can ignore. But without HDMI out I can't really use it as a to-go laptop replacement. By chrooting Linux on top of Android I get all the peripherals support for free from the Android base system and also get a fully up to date Linux desktop ready to use. In fact, I promised a tutorial on how to upgrade Linux Deploy MATE image to the latest Ubuntu but never wrote it. I will try to find some time today...
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 3:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Since I don't use it, I hadn't realized that gemian has no external output. Yeah, that's certainly a drawback if such output is needed. My arcane complaint about gemian/buster/cosmo is that for some unknown reason, Alt can no longer be configured as a sole modifier for a keystroke (eg: Alt+e = email works in Stretch, but must be modified further in Buster/Cosmo Alt+Shift+E = email). Seems like a small issue except a triple key-ing is hard to do when thumb-typing. A basic drawback of any gemian is that touchscreen input is often hit-or-miss so keystrokes are imperative.

Jake
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-14 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sneak peak...

I wanted to show you guys how well it performs under chroot on top of Android, so I made this quick video.

If you don't have time for the video, here is a static picture for you

(WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 10.40.52.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 10.40.52.jpeg (156KB - 74 downloads)
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-10-15 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow! smooth operation!

I don't know, maybe I should get a better screen protector to get smoother operation of touch screen?
I use the one that came with the Cosmo... haha

Thank you for the video, ntware.

I was thinking maybe I will get the HDMI adapter to connect it to a mobile screen, but that won't really make sense to the normal user...

Edited by stingraze 2021-10-15 12:17 AM
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This is a good video of Linux (Kludged Linux / Debian Etch) running on Psion 5mx.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2021-11-06 1:34 AM
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 3:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

What Psion units can you install Linux on ?

-Walt B
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 1:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

5MX / 7 series / and Revo/Revo+/Mako has Linux support.

some more info here:
http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/

Kludged Linux here:
https://ajwellsnet.wordpress.com/

Linux and 5MX info here:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/old/attic/psion/s5mx.html
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Always wanted to get a 5 series (w/ backlight). Always was afraid of the hinge failing on these. I had a Mako i tried to repair (failed miserably) it didnt have a backlight tho, so I prob would of repaired it and sold it. Im very interested in checking this out.

-Walt B
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 2:24 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I had a partly broken PSION revo once, but it came with UK charger, and I didn't bother playing with it.
I want to order one from eBay one day.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I rebuilt some battery packs for my Makos during quarantine. It's not the easiest process, since the aging plastic is fragile and the space always tight. It's a great machine, though. Much better screen than the 5 or 5MX as long as your room lighting doesn't call for a backlight. Obviously, the 5's have a much better keyboard, but not as portable.

Thanks, stingraze, for those links. I'd seen them long ago and forgotten them. The existential trouble w/ Linux on Psion is that you still can't get on-line (unless it's a Netbook and then you're already on-line) and the Psion software is so good that it seems a shame to replace it.

Jake
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Maybe using a terminal software on Linux on PSION to use it as a terminal and get online via serial like this will work?
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=4895

Also, take a look at this:
https://hackaday.io/project/180650-1991-psion-series-3-as-a-mobile-i...

Although it's not on the Linux on PSION, it's still pretty cool.

Edited by stingraze 2021-11-09 9:58 AM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 27