x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best programs for jornada 680?

ProgramingFreak2004 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-23 3:45 PM
#
Avatar image of ProgramingFreak2004
H/PC Newbie

Hey y’all, so anyways I was thinking about buying a jornada 680 and I don’t know what are the best programs for the jornada, so can you give me a list on what programs are the best?
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-11 5:12 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

On my J680, the programs I've used the most are:
* Total Commander (dual-pane file manager, makes life way more convenient because CE doesn't have overlapping/side-by-side windows)
* PocketDOS (so I can have more software available than just the CE fare, although the emulation isn't ideal because the 680 isn't the fastest thing -- this one is paid software, but there's a demo that you can try out and the only real limit is that it pauses for a bit to tell you to register every once in a while, afaik the author is still accepting payments for it so you can still buy it; you can even run Windows 3.0 (I don't think you can run 3.1 though, not 100% sure) with it, and 3.0 is running in CGA B+W mode, it's a mild ordeal to set up, but not the worst, also Windows 3 is NOT fast on this thing, you'd probably want to use some plain DOS software instead)
* PalmGB (emulates Game Boy games, runs somewhat well, sadly doesn't run Pokemon R/B at all)
* Doom (it's Doom -- performance isn't amazing, but it's fun to muck about with, you NEED to put the exe in "\Storage Card2\HPC Doom\" with a Doom IWAD or it won't work, also I think it needs like 10 or 11MB free RAM, it's kind of very finicky)
* Pocket Paint (simple drawing program, might be tricky to install, it's part of the CE 2 Power Toys on this site, you might need a 32-bit computer or virtual machine since the installer with the files is ancient, I ended up using a Windows 2000 VM to get the files out)
* CaptCE (lets you take screenshots)
IIRC, every one of these programs can be downloaded from this site in the SCL. For the 680, you want the SH3 version of any software.

Still, when it comes down to it, 90% of my use is Pocket Word to type stuff up and Internet Explorer to open images/saved HTML files.

However, if you don't already have a 680, you really might want to look into the 720 since it's faster, it has an ARM CPU instead of the SH3 (more software is compiled for ARM than SH3, although not everything listed above has an ARM version), and it runs a newer version of Windows CE (so again, even more software is compatible).
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-12-11 8:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@null1024--that's a nice write-up. Thank you.

Jake
 Top of the page
ProgramingFreak2004 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-21 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you all for the responses also how do I convert a dvd movie to play on the hp jornada?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-22 8:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The most efficient way used to be using the screen ratings feature in https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/pocketdvd/pocketdvd-1-1/

You would have to contact Tools4Movies ( http://www.tools4movies.com/ ) about getting a version of DVD Catalyst (the version 2 of Pocket DVD) that supports H/PC playback ratings.
 Top of the page
ProgramingFreak2004 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 2:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, but how do I actually watch mp4 files on windows ce? Because when i get the device i can maybe watch mp4 videos on it but how do I get mp4 files on the device?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 9:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

TCPMP + GAPI + CF card transfer or ActiveSync transfer is about the best you can manage.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 3:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Nice treasure trove of info... thanks all!

joval

posted from a J720/RasPi hybrid HPC
 Top of the page
ProgramingFreak2004 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-04 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Also I’m looking to buy the hp 660lx but is the processor the same sh3 seen on the hp jornada 680?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-04 3:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The same, no. It's 75MHz vs 133MHz. The same Super-Hitachi 3 SH7700 architecture, yes.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 13