x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hey there folks.

I have 3 units that are very very hard to press on things in the middle of the screen and easy to press on the outsides.

Sharp HC-4000
Sharp HC-4600
HP 360LX

Is there any way of fixing this ? Or are these touch panels just shot ? Didnt know if there may be a trick to getting these touch screens to react easier.

Thanks

-Walt B
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 9:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Most of the old screens are a composite of glass and acrylics...the screens with age develop a lot of flex in the center while the outside edges are held tightly by laminating adhesives and dual sided adhesive gaskets used to maintain the air gap.

Unlike modern day capacitive touch screens...our old HPC resistive screens just decay with age...

For fun...put your hpc in the refrigerator for a couple hours...then use it. Until it warms up it will be like new...
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

On the HC-4600, I took the outside of the screen (case) apart and I decided to put something on the back of the screen to help push the center of the screen forward when I closed the case backup. Well it worked, the unit acts fine across the board now. I just used some tape rolled up into a thick enough piece. It def made the touch unit act better. Just a heads up for anyone with the same issue. Im gonna try it on the HC-4000 a little later.

Haha no way im putting my palmtops in the freezer.

Pretty cool to have a color unit again. Ill hopefully be rebuilding the battery packs for these 2 Sharps this week.

-Walt B

Edited by WallyB110 2021-12-01 10:48 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 11:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Lol...not freezer for sure...but reg fridge will both stiffen and contract the touch overlay membrane making it more responsive to touch.

Good to know that warping it works well too.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It worked on the 4000 too. So both Sharp units are fixed.
-Walt B
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 18