x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 4:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are there any online forums for DOS handheld's still? There is no sense stealing their thunder if there are established focal-points.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
The Palmtop Papers are available on-line/download. HPMuseum has a small forum for Palmtops (the forum's main interest is calculators); one can even find help for the Omnibook series. Vintage Computer Federation Forums might lend help, though probably hit-or-miss. There is still a 200LX email list and while informative, the majority of subscribers have long-retired their PalmTops.

So yeah, there's help out there and it comes from those dinosaur users that knew everything. Whether it's consistent help, like the CE help found here, is another matter...

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 5:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I leave it up to you lot to make the case. It would have to be on the same terms as the Symbian forum as I have none and know nadda.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 5:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-12-30 9:29 AM

I leave it up to you lot to make the case. It would have to be on the same terms as the Symbian forum as I have none and know nadda.

Sounds OK to me.....

I think there are enough people here with HP Palmtops and knowledge to share to warrant having a forum for this.

I also think having a forum can stimulate interest and energy in a topic. For example, having the linux section has been very active and helpful this past year or so.

Just my 2¢...

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Put my 2¢ on it as well! I would love a DOS section now that Santa gifted me with a 200lx
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

... and in a hypothetical world where this happened, who is running it?
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You, of course!

Or Jake… he is probably the one that knows more about DOS palmtops around here

By the way Jake, I got your point. There isn’t much sense in using a mouse as big as the device itself. I’ve been researching about a possibility of adding a USB port on the 200lx just for a HID mouse. Check this adapter: . Apparently with this, one can use a USB mouse through the PS/2 port, which is essentially a serial port in a different connector. I’ll try to use it to create a 200lx serial port to USB adapter. If that works, I might just get one of those mini USB mice for my 200lx. Wouldn’t it be so cool?
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'll do it, but as we all know, I come with caveats in that I know much more about the HP menu/applications/workarounds than I do about DOS 5.0. I cut my teeth on DOS, but that was a long time ago and other than the occasional DOS program, I don't much use pure DOS.

@ntware--your mouse idea sounds very promising. I just poked my head in ebay to search for an infrared mouse and I did get some hits. The 200LX's IR port is on the right side, but I'm not certain it can provide enough muscle for a mouse or even if DOS IR drivers can do the job, regardless of IR strength.

EDIT: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=1028576 -- sounds possible but perhaps hard to find the hardware.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2021-12-31 4:36 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 5:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There you all go, have at it - and don't say I didn't give you anything for New Year!

Moved to the DOS Palmtops Forum

Edit:
I found you some threads too from off-topic and general discussion, so that you didn't feel lonely like the Symbian board (which is looking rather sleepy) *cough*.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 6:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Santa C:AMIE !

If there's anything I can do to assist Jake, I'd be glad to.....

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 6:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Spread the word, let the internet know it's here and perhaps between you you can put some content together - for example what resources so still exist online, what tools should people have or what software do people need (and where to get it).

i.e. do me some SEO
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 6:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-12-31 10:25 AM

Spread the word, let the internet know it's here and perhaps between you you can put some content together - for example what resources so still exist online, what tools should people have or what software do people need (and where to get it).

i.e. do me some SEO

OK, will do....

Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, the machines are still active but the real veterans have mostly retired, so we'd probably glean more from past posts than new ones.

I'd love to make a first-up sticky post that had a subsection for forum sites (even from http://wayback.archive.org/ ) and another subsection for download sites, both which could grow as users find additions.

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 10:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I suggest threads for
- Online Resources
- Equipment & Tools
- Parts, Upgrades & Hacks
- Software & Downloads

... but you're the mod, you organise it... and don't spare the whip (that ArchiMark needs a firm hand!)
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 11:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-12-31 2:12 PM

I suggest threads for
- Online Resources
- Equipment & Tools
- Parts, Upgrades & Hacks
- Software & Downloads

... but you're the mod, you organise it... and don't spare the whip (that ArchiMark needs a firm hand!)

Ouch!......

Sounds good though....

Will start working on draft of some of this....

[ Go easy on me, dos-sensei-san Jake.... ]

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-12-31 11:13 PM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.222 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 15