x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Li-ion Battery Regeneration??

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

gulfwindx - 2005-08-08 10:07 PM

So.........I'm not to leave the HP720 in it's Cradle??? Would that be "battery topping"

well it's not a nickel based battery...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

seeing this thread gives me one conclusion. Scientists haven't what I feel done enough research into the capacity of comsummer batteries.
The difficaulty with manuafacturing batteries is that as mentioned need to be enviromentally safe and be safe for the comsummer to use, but there is always improvements into battery technology every day!

My father works in the electronics industry, he is an engineer for Acoustiguide Ltd, that deal with handheld audio tour guide (yes, they are also MP3 players too!) and his job is sometimes define the design and spec for the devices. When he was consulted on the design of the AG2000 (a type now being phased out), it had to be designed to be rugged, droppable and maintainence free. Some people in Acoustiguide disregarded this, then they took the units apart, obviously, they didn't do a good enough job, so buggered up the units. Anyway, the spec also included the use of Metal Hydride batteries. This is because we are certain that poorly maintained batteries of the Lithium type can vigiously explode with catastrophic results. I too am weary of Li-ion batteries, espeically when my life is relying on a piece of PCB, that wont blow. (I think in a previous battery, one did blow a cell, because it never would accept more than 75% charge state, plus it was giving me loads of false readings before!). If I was specifying the spec for my laptop, one would be:
"The inclusion of metal base batteries or a lithium battery that does not rely on a PCB for circuitry or charging."
Of course, for me, trusting is difficault and fearing the worst case scenario for my lithium battery is what I fear. I don't know if there is going to be a massive heatwave.

By the way, be cautious of some cheaper Pentimun 3 laptops, from my expereinces, we have had 2 IPCs, both cooked batteries quite quickly, when the batteries were removed, they became unbearable to touch.

On for more theroies about Li batteries and an extract from my IPC manual:
"
3-2
Ni-MH / Lithium-Ion Batttery

Your notebook uses an removeable ten-cell Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) or eight-cell Lithium-Ion battery pack that provides power when you are away from an AC outlet.
This is the main battery, you should recharge it as it is drained. (poor german translation? Should that be "when it is drained?"
Besides the main battery, it is suggested that you should also have a second battery pack as the backup power solution in your travelling

Note: Make sure the battery is fully charged before using

Note: Do not touch the metal ends of the battery connector to avoid rusting

Warning:
Do not expose battey packs to tempratures below 0 degree Celsius (32 degree F) or above 60 degree C (140F). This may adversely affect the battery pack.

(skip a few sections)

3-6
Prolonging the Battery's Life and Usage Cycles

The are ways you can do to prolong the use of the battery.

* Use the AC adapter wherever AC wall outlet is available. This will ensure uninterrupted computing.
    Purchase an optional second battery pack.
    * Store the battery pack at room temperature. Higher temperature tends to deplete the battery's power faster.
    * Make good use of the power management function. Save To Disk saves the most energy by storing current system contents in a hard disk space is reserved for this funciton. (poor translation again!)
    * Disable the parallel and serial ports if no devices are attached to these ports. See section 2 for details of how this is done.
    * Even when the PC is not operationg, it still draws a small amount of power. Eject the PC card from the card slot when not in use.
    * The life expectancy of the battery is approximately 500 recharges.
    See the notices in the begining of the user manual on how to care for the battery pack.
"

I'll type out the clevo one tomorrow.
Oh and lists don't seem to work as stated in the code reference:

As a general of thumb, my laptop batteries are out when they are not in use, due to heat the the computers tend to generate. But from time to time, I may give them a top up charge and a full discharge/recharge as stated by clevo every month or every 20-30 partial discharge/recharge cycles.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 8:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think you shouldn't be so wary of li-ions. you just have to maintain them well (or at least not too carelessly ).
your request about a lithium based battery that doesn't require a charging circuitry, is impossible you can use nickel based ones for your laptop but their energy density is much worse...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 9:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

After all this I might just waistbag a gel-cell of high capacity. No fear of explosions or acid burns.

Still waiting here to learn the "untrip" trick for the EOL pixie. No point rebuilding my packs is there if the pixie is tripped? How would one even check for the EOL trip? Resistance? Capacitance?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 12:56 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Is that really you, Snappy!?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 4:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

to Snappy!: Is that you or are you impersonating him?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That was not me! ... wow ... I've reached the level where ppl want to impersonate me! hehe

Well ... too bad ... the two posts about are by the same person. Impersonation is ... *ahem* ...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 11:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Diverting the topic a bit , this is what my Clevo manual states:

"The Power Sources", Page 2 - 3

"Battery

The battery allows you to use your computer while you are on the road or when an electrical outlet is unavailable. Battery life varies depending on the applications and the configuration you're using. To increase battery life, let the battery discharge completely before recharging.

We recommend that you do not remove the battery. For more information on the battery, please refer to "battery Information" on page 3 -24.

Recharging the Battery with the AC Adapter
The battery pack automatically recharges when the AC adapter is attached and plugged into an electrical outlet. If the computer is powered on, and in use, it will take severalhoursto fully recharge the battery. When the computer is turned off but plugged into an electricaloutlet, battery charge time is less. (Refer to "LED Indicators" on page 2 - 5 for more informationon the battery charge status, and to "Battery Information" on page 3 -24 for more informaiton on how to maintain and properly recharge the battery pack.)

Proper handling of the Battery Pack

* DO NOT disassemble the battery pack under any circumstances
    * DO NOT expose the battery to fire or high temperatures, it may explode
    * DO NOT connect the metal terminals (+, -) to each other
    "

"Battey Informaiton", page 3 - 24
    "
    Battery Informaiton
    Please follow these simple guidelines to get the best out of your battery.

New Battery
    Always completely discharge, then fully charge a new battery (see "Battery FAQ on page 3 -25 for instructions on how to do this).

Battery Life
    Your computer's battery life is dependent upon many factors, including the programs you are runningm and peripheral devices attached. Power Options (you may set low battery Alarms amd actions, and check the Power Meter from the Power Options control panel), and settings in the OS will help prolong the battery life if configured appropriately.

Battery life may be shortened through improper maintenance. To optimize the life and improve its performace, fully discharge and recharge the battery at least once every 30 days.

We recommend that you do not reomve the battery yourself. If you do need to reomve the battery for any reason see "Removing the Battery" on page 6 -3.

Battery FAQ
    How do I completely discharge the battery?
    Use the computer wil battery power until it shuts down due to a low battery. Don't turn off the computer by yourself even when you see a message that indicates the battery is critically low, just let the computer use up all of the battery power and shut down on its own. Disable the Power Options functions in the Control Panel, especailly any alarms (unclick the tickboxes - see 3 - 24) and schemes (change all the settings to Never - see page 3 - 19). As the battery nears the end of its life and save and close any critical files.

How do I fully charge the battery?
    When charging the battery, don't stop until the LED charging indicator llight cnages from orange to green.

How do I maintain the battery?
    Completely discharge and charge the battery at least once every 30 days or after about 20 partial discharges.
    "

As can be seen, it seems like the manufactures cannot agree either. For my own tips, I recommend removing the battery when not in use (no longer for 2 weeks to a month.), keep the battery as cool as possible (but not freezing cold. Some situations such as travelling makes this impossible sometimes.) and try not to expose the battery above 25°C.
    Try to keep the battery in an undisturbed place and don't try to shock it. I am not sure what others think of my recommendations, although mine tend to go over the top.

Edited by Wessex_nut 2005-08-09 11:55 AM
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

snappy - 2005-08-09 11:20 PM

is gay

Now, now snappy, we know you are happy!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10