x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NVIDIA graphics cards

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-21 1:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Certainly 64MB is a huge leap from 4/8MB, plus you'll have digital display output if you want to swap to a flat panel display.

Make sure that you can source the drivers though! I know you can still get NVidia Windows 95/98 drivers from NVidia. I've no idea about AMD though. I've always avoided them.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-21 2:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have already found the drivers for the ATI RADEON 7000 (if they are correct).
I found the only dealer who sells a GeForce 8400GS 256Mb PCI Standard.
Is worth? The cost of the 8400 is much more than the 7000.
Yes, I also prefer NVidia but from what I know officially there are no drivers for Windows 98.
On this forum they have modified and adapted for AGP / PCI-E and non-PCI Standard cards. So I think the best option is ATI
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67-and-8-agppci-e-driver-edition-for-win98me-by-zak/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-21 3:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well if you want to have 98 compatibility, I suggest not going for something that doesn't have drivers for it.

Ultimately, it really depends on what you want to be able to play on it. The reality is that the machine will be CPU, RAM and bus bound well before it can out-pace the graphics chip on almost any 2000+ card.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-21 3:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

But playing, in fact, for now I do not know. I use it for work. BUT with a 200Mhz processor and maybe the ATI video card I could venture qa see some videos with higher resolution than 320x240 and maybe see some other video formats like mpg2, avi or WMV.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-21 5:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that MPEG 2 might be a push, if I recall correctly, you needed a PII 450 for DVD. Though if the GPU has offload support, then your mileage may vary.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 12:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ATI RADEON 7000 video card, arrived. I insert it into the PC, I turn on the PC, I see the IBM symbol on the screen and the memory check, once the check is finished, black screen, windows 98 does not start and you hear two beeps.
I turned off the machine and turned it back on, windows started up, but very slowly (Just once, then it starts up fast). I installed the drivers (drivers installed correctly and windows detects fully functional video card and actually works without problems), but every time I reboot, black screen and 2 beeps.
The bios detects the video card, but says it has 0 memory. Card too new for my motherboard or damaged?
Windows does not detect conflicts or problems ....

I started one of the 80's music videos, unlike before, which at first the video was not smooth it went a bit jerky, and only then it played back smoothly. Now the video plays smoothly right out of the box.

I did a Norton Diagnostic test on the Video Card. It did not detect any problems.
Now I don't understand, however, why if I restart the machine, everything stops and gives two beeps, forcing me to spend the machine manually.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-07-23 12:52 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 2:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I made a video for the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zHDfiMBV_Q
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 2:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It could be a Bios incompatibility. I'm not sure how wide the address bus is on the system. Try pulling out a couple of RAM sticks and see if it changes the behaviour.

It could, as you say, be the card. Tricky to know without testing in a different system.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 2:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

The Ram is not, because it would detect a control problem when you start the PC. However, I put the old video card back. No problem.
But it's weird it does, this problem only when you restart your PC!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 4:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Not necessarily, if you've over allocated the BIOS's address width. Pull a couple of sticks and test.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-23 9:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-07-23 4:19 PM

Not necessarily, if you've over allocated the BIOS's address width. Pull a couple of sticks and test.

I did not understand, what should I do in the BIOS exactly?
However now Windows does not start anymore. It gets stuck in the loading.
If I put the old card back there is no problem, the PC works normally.

I made another video. With the matrox mystique 220 card, the PC works. Then I put the ATI and this time it wouldn't start. I restarted it at some point by pressing Control + Alt + Del, same problem. Always 2 beeps and black screen.
The BIos does not detect the ram of the video card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPirtpwqXY

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-07-23 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-24 7:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nothing, just pull 2 sticks of RAM out and re-test.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-24 6:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-07-24 7:39 AM

Nothing, just pull 2 sticks of RAM out and re-test.

Ok, I can do it. But I would like to understand why? What does RAM have to do with the video card. The RAM works is also new, it is not used. There are no problems with the other
video card.

Update:
I did as you suggested. The problem remains. There are two things either the video card is faulty or it is incompatible.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-07-24 6:47 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-24 7:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A 32 bit computer only has a certain amount of address space, you might assume that would be 32-bit, but on older hardware there was no point in allocating 32-bit to the address space because 4GB of RAM was an impossible day dream. Consequently, the BIOS might be limited to addressing less. If you add RAM and vRAM together, it might be over addressed. Removing RAM will confirm that it isn't.

Best return it then.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-07-25 8:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I tried the video card on another PC with Windows 10. It works great. I assume then it is an incompatibility problem.
Could the Matrox Millenium G450 work?
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 29