x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Experiences with H/PCs--Good Or Bad

1 2 3
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ahh yes, my second handheld and boy, how impressive it is! It's soo tiny!
I had to go to East London to get it, but the last 5 days or so, my newer Jornada 710/724/728 w/o modem/whatever you want to call it! (I preferr 724..... oh wait! It should be 718!) has change my experience on handhelds. The mobile pro was revolutionary, but this was something else. The first time I saw it, I thought, WOW! Niteman1969 demostrated the device to me, showed me whats in the box, paid, said our goodbyes and thanked each other, then went home. All that done on Hackney Downs Railway station (plats 2/3!) the same place I had been since I got off a Class 315 unit (actully, they were running 2x315's on the LS - Chingford service), for the record, I was using the DMSO(A) of the nicely fithy and ghostly livered (allover white with sh......... field dirt alll over it!) unit 315 851, as opertated by ONE and desperate for a clean!

As soon as I got on the train, I couldn't fight the temptation, so I opened up the box, started the unit and played and played until I got to Liverpool Street..... Then I found out how much carrying a laptop, a spare bag, 2 plastic bags, a pocket PC, a bag for life with the wireless card in and god knows what else weighed!! It was HEAVY. I was worried that the boys in blue were going to stop me and search me, or worse still, suspect me of being a terrorist and end up like that brazillian electrician. (poor thing! :'( ).

Anyway, every train I used, I had to play with it (except the docklands light rail - stood from Bank to Limehouse, due to blending in with french students, even when off the trains!!!), going on a few c2c '357s, I started recording, got my headphones out later and I was inpressed! The sound was brilliant, and even made my earphones thump a heck of a lot, especially when listening to "Livin' Joy - Dreamer!" (treble and bass is my 2 favorite features missing from the MP!). I like my earhphones not loud, but vibrating!
I had no device manual, but the unit was soo easy to use, it was childs work, especially when you get up and play around.

I aslo started redoing my hauled list (A list of all Locos and rolling stock I have use to date! With the view I'll never use the same one twice!) and I started typing and finding it a joy, infact, I am using the 718 now send this message! The keyboard is hard to get use though. Which is the only annoying thing, but easier than "graffitt", as my palm Vx uses! (cringe!).

I had to try everything when I got it and so I did! I also had to find a CR2032 battery as the one inside had been drained! One other feature that impressed me, is that it was easliy pocketable, it fitted in my jeans pocket with no hesitiation, or one pair anyway, as long as there is nothing in the pocket!

So what about syncing? Well, I did try with a serial cable, but forgot something, my 40gb HD didn't have activesync, so I had to wait until I got home! On my way home, I also listen to my recording, unfortuately, I lost these and not only that, going over Aurndel junction wasn't desirable either. Especially when someone is using the loo beside you!

Over the next 4 days, I was testing everything out. I am quite happy that it even sends and recieves from my palm device and sharp mobile.
Now I got everything setup, lets see if it is better than the MP in september, even if the keys are difficault to use sometimes!

One other thing, Cmonex mentioned hacking widcomm bt drivers, how though? Which ones do I use? Remember, I have a TDK Go Blue Bluetooth PC card (discontinued)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-08-22 12:32 AM

Ahh yes, my second handheld and boy, how impressive it is! It's soo tiny!

One other thing, Cmonex mentioned hacking widcomm bt drivers, how though? Which ones do I use? Remember, I have a TDK Go Blue Bluetooth PC card (discontinued)

hehe.. it is small yeah

TDK.. umm.. can you send me the ppc2000/2002 version of the driver? my email is contactchan (at) freemail.hu

i'll look at it.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

that might be difficault, as the expansys description said that there are BT drivers to be released at the time of purchase. Perhaps it was all vapourware! Woulxd a different card driver work?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh..

there's a chance, if it uses the widcomm stack.. but if not..

try this: http://users.freestart.hu/mtunder/widcomm.zip

copy the dlls into windows folder, install the cab, reset the 720 when it asks you to do so (at the end of the install), and finally insert the card. if it lights up and not only for a moment, you have a fair chance... if not, forget it. too bad, probably you can't return the card
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Next question, whad DLLs are the device drivers? So far, it doesn't recongise the card..... yet!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TRBLU04-00100-00 This is what I got, so I thought in its lifetime, the pocket pc drivers would be released by now.. Aparently not!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-08-22 11:09 PM

Next question, whad DLLs are the device drivers? So far, it doesn't recongise the card..... yet!

no real chance then. and i have no idea what the dll name is. try experimenting but don't hold your breath.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 5:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

To Everyone,

What was your worst experience with an H/PC that just made you

Joseph
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-13 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, I guess no one person had a very experience... But, moving on, you can discuss here any kind of experience with a Handheld PC...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok, tenjeangosi asked me to copy my story about my first experience with a velo 1 here

"nah i'm not so smart.. want to know my first experience with the velo 1?

when i got my velo 1 i was sooo excited then i accidentally touched the contrast dial at the right side of the display before turning on the unit for the first time. as a result the screen became so dark it was virtually unreadable after powering it up. i could only (hardly) read it at an uncomfortable angle from below.. i got to control panel this way and tried to adjust the contrast because i suspected it was the culprit. but control panel would only tell me i needed to adjust it with some sort of contrast dial. i thought it was another button which was actually for the backlight... now that of course didn't help then i was trying all kinds of soft and hard resets etc for at least one full hour before writing an email to the seller asking what the hell was wrong with the unit he immediately helped me in my misery LOL
the manual would have been a precious help at that time!!
wasn't a nice first experience with CE 1, trying and peeking to see it from an impossible angle...

the point is that the velo 1 has a hardware based contrast control .... no hard reset will change it. don't forget that when you (all) get your unit "
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 11:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2005-10-22 9:03 AM

ok, tenjeangosi asked me to copy my story about my first experience with a velo 1 here

"nah i'm not so smart.. want to know my first experience with the velo 1?

when i got my velo 1 i was sooo excited then i accidentally touched the contrast dial at the right side of the display before turning on the unit for the first time. as a result the screen became so dark it was virtually unreadable after powering it up. i could only (hardly) read it at an uncomfortable angle from below.. i got to control panel this way and tried to adjust the contrast because i suspected it was the culprit. but control panel would only tell me i needed to adjust it with some sort of contrast dial. i thought it was another button which was actually for the backlight... now that of course didn't help then i was trying all kinds of soft and hard resets etc for at least one full hour before writing an email to the seller asking what the hell was wrong with the unit he immediately helped me in my misery LOL
the manual would have been a precious help at that time!!
wasn't a nice first experience with CE 1, trying and peeking to see it from an impossible angle...

the point is that the velo 1 has a hardware based contrast control .... no hard reset will change it. don't forget that when you (all) get your unit "

LOL, as said before.

Thanks for copying to this thread.

Joseph
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8