x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 2000 abnormal behavior

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-06 10:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Delete the partition on the CF card and then create a new one of may be 2GB-3GB. Then try the install.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-06 12:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

2GB (Same problem).
Cannot find the hard disk partition prepared by the MS-DOS part of the installation.
During the MS-DOS portion of the Windows NT installation, you must specify a temporary drive supported by Windows NT. See the Windows NT System Manual for more information.

I also formatted with Rufus in ntfs. I don't tell you how it ended.
I'm sorry to say, it will be a stable system, but the installation is really bad.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-10-06 12:43 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-06 1:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You are formatting it to FAT16 aren't you? It won't take the C: as FAT32.

It is a nuisance to get it to install on modern hardware, I agree. NT 3.51 is even worse
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-06 2:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-10-06 1:41 PM

You are formatting it to FAT16 aren't you? It won't take the C: as FAT32.

It is a nuisance to get it to install on modern hardware, I agree. NT 3.51 is even worse

I don't know, I format it with Windows 95 startup disk.
Fdisk create partition, then Format C: and format the disk.
Maybe it only formats in Fat32. In this case, what can I do? Rufus does not have Fat16 formatting. Do you know the way to format in Fat16?

EDIT:
I followed this guide. Nothing even in FAT16 Windows NT does not recognize the disk and gives the same error message.
https://www.instructables.com/Format-USB-Flash-Drive-to-FATFAT16-not-FAT32/

I forgot to tell you, that in addition to that message another message appears that says:
One or more hard drives have more than 1024 cylinders.
Since MS-DOS is usually limited to 1024 cylinders per hard drive, some hard drive controllers offer special configuration options known as sector mapping modes, and so on. Then the other message appears.

EDIT:
Isn't that the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Setup program?
I have read this thread, from what I understand, the author claims this:
Anyway, i found out that I was using an older WIN NT bootable diskette that causes me the trouble. Now we are using the server with the SCSI Hard Disk in it.

I honestly didn't understand ...
https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/more-than-1024-cylinders/

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-10-06 2:42 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-06 2:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Use MS DOS 6.22 and make the partition 2GB
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 8:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Installed MS-DOS 6.22 (very strange, won't boot).
However, the problem remains. WIn NT rejects the CF. I have tried 4 different CFs from different brands. The problem occurs with all of them.
I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to install Win NT on large CF, even if you shrink the volume by partitioning it wit DOS 6.22.
I should get a 4GB or 2GB CF. But I don't feel like spending any more money.

(keep in mind that the installation of DOS 6.22 by default prepares the disk with 16MB, I was able to see the contents of the disk through the Win95 boot floppy, because after the installation, without errors, the DOS does not boot. I'm not aware, if you can partition the disk before installation, I didn't see any options)

EDIT:
Ok, I managed to start Fdisk, instead of continuing with the installation I pressed F3 twice and MS-DOS booted from the floppy. From there I started Fdisk.
Unfortunately, the maximum it creates is only 16MB. Even if I tell him to use the maximum capacity of the disk.
However, the problem remains. Win NT does not install.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-10-07 8:59 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 9:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

16MB?!? Umm, that's not right at all.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 9:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-10-07 9:22 AM

16MB?!? Umm, that's not right at all.

A pity, I would have been tempted to try NT for the first time, but I believe that in my machine, it is not possible to install it. I give up. Such a pity.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 10:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have found that NT cannot recognize some peripherals, in this case the CF. On the internet it is recommended to use CardWare 6.0, to make it recognize the CF. However, it is a program that is no longer available and it is paid.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030608034958/http://www.unicore.com/products/cardware/cardwarent.cfm
Do you know a free alternative?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 10:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

But the point of the CF to IDE adapter is to make it think the CF card is an ATA device, it should be transparent to an OS with no NAND awareness.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 12:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-10-07 10:51 AM

But the point of the CF to IDE adapter is to make it think the CF card is an ATA device, it should be transparent to an OS with no NAND awareness.

So, I can say with certainty, that installing NT really sucks! BUT how come all other operating systems don't have this problem?
Could it be related to the fact that MS-DOS can't see more than 16MB?
In fact, as mentioned earlier, DOS is installed, but it won't boot. the PC remains on a black screen. You only see the flashing white dash.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, not at all. NT 4 is prickly with larger hard drives, but it should 'just work'. If MS-DOS ever had a limitation like 16MB, it would have been back in DOS 1.0. By its last stand-alone release of 6.22 it supported 2GB drives.

When you say it won't boot, do you mean from any DOS 6.22 floppy or from 6.22 when installed on the hard drive?/CF card
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-07 2:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-10-07 1:16 PM

No, not at all. NT 4 is prickly with larger hard drives, but it should 'just work'. If MS-DOS ever had a limitation like 16MB, it would have been back in DOS 1.0. By its last stand-alone release of 6.22 it supported 2GB drives.

When you say it won't boot, do you mean from any DOS 6.22 floppy or from 6.22 when installed on the hard drive/CF card?

I mean by installed on disk (CF)
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-10-12 9:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'm lightening Win200 to try the last chance for decent use.
I have installed WinPlay3, as all other players are heavy or the music does not play properly. WinPlay3 is the only one that perfectly plays audio files. Always used by win95 to ME.
Now in win 2000, the main problem was presented to me again. In theory everything else is solved, but not for listening to music! When I try to play an MP3 he goes to read the Floppy and gives an error!
I looked for other links leading to drive A: but I didn't find any!

Pretend I didn't ask for anything.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-10-12 10:41 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-12 1:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What was the fix?
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.238 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9