x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Japanese dictionary HPC recommendations

AximUser Page Icon Posted 2022-09-26 9:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Greetings,

I am looking for an HPC to run Japanese-English dictionaries (using EBPocket software, which runs on Windows CE, Android, Linux, iOS, Windows, OSX). Any recommendations?

It seems Windows Mobile 2003 (Windows CE.NET 4.2) and forward generally have excellent Japanese language support. Obviously, that would be device dependent. So maybe I need to look to models sold in Japan or exclusively for the JDM.

Currently, I have two "suboptimal" devices:

1. Dell Axim x51v (WM6.1 Dynamite A02, soldier bridged battery door indicator)
Pros - Screen, digitalizer, very stable ROM, almost fast-enough CPU, superb Japanese language IME
Cons - No physical keyboard, small screen, slow boot, and mediocre battery life.

2. Casio Ex-Word N9800
Pros - Bespoke dictionary clamshell device, staggering battery life, great dictionaries, excellent IME
Cons - Poor search on Japanese sentences

--> Perhaps a design choice to boost speed & reduce battery consumption. I assume the database and search were optimised here for Japanese people searching for English.

--> SHOCKINGLY, the Casio E-A10 has search optimized for English speakers. I can't say if this competes with EBPocket (whose search outputs basically everything one would expect). Unfortunately, it seems the E-A10 is only sold to "institutions" and I haven't found one in the wild. This would probably be the ideal device.

I have looked at the beautiful newish Planet Gemini Android (but the Japanese language support around one of their phones doesn't get great reviews). Blackberry has some recent Android devices with keyboards (I don't know how they work in Japanese).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 2:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I don’t have that much experience in Japanese support for devices (but I’ve found a bunch of Japanese dictionary and kanji programs I’ve added to our SCL)

Anyway, to further narrow down what you’re looking for:
Do you want something more compact, can fit in your pocket , or do you want something a little bigger, or something that’s laptop sized?
Do you need a touchscreen or something that uses a trackpad?
Do you need something that can connect to the internet ?
I assume you’re located in Austria correct ? So somewhere in the EU is preferred if we find devices on eBay or elsewhere ?

I feel like the NTC do co mo Sigmarion III would be perfect for this except that it runs CE4.1 and not 4.2. Stingraze has a lot of experience with those devices as well

Edited by torch 2022-09-28 2:52 AM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 7:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks @Torch, very helpful.

As a general matter, is it fair to say that PDAs without keyboards perform better than HPCs (CPU speeds and bigger/faster SD & CF card standards)? We have a few GBs in dictionaries and the Axim's "fast" CPU and storage can take up to a few seconds to search. While the HPC may have great form factor, we worry this generation of CPUs (and storage) might be too slow. All that said, we would like to try.

SIZE
I am looking for something bigger than the Axim but smaller than a laptop, maybe a bit bigger than the Casio Ex-Word.

The Casio is a clamshell, which closed measures 148mm x 106mm x 16mm.

- Main Screen, 5.3" 528×320 TFT main touch panel.

- Secondary Screen, Below the physical keyboard is a second touch panel, which is really convenient as one can write characters parallel to the desk, as opposed to on a slanted flopping screen (2.6" 240×96 TFT). Casio eliminated that second panel in 2015, probably to boost profits.

http://arch.casio.jp/exword/products/XD-N10000/

TOUCHSCREENTouchscreen required for writing in unknown kanji characters

INTERNETInternet not required

LOCATIONI'm in the US most often.

OPERATING SYSTEMI see EBPocket dictionary software support to CE2.11. The Pro license is no longer sold but the company seems to have provided a universal password in a txt file with the download. http://ebstudio.info/home/EBPocket.html

Sigmarion III
That looked like an interesting option.

Pros
+Size (189 mm x 117 mm x 21 mm),
+Screen (5.0" TFT 800x480)
+Keyboard
+Perfect Japanese language support as a JDM model
+EBPocket made a dedicated dictionary .CAB file (EBPocket.sig3_ARM.CAB)

Cons
- CPU Performance of 400Mhz for PXA255 (vs. 624Mhz for PXA270 in the Axim x51v)
- Poor software availability around CE4.1 (particularly regarding M$ Office)
- Small & slow SD & CF cards? Need to research this a bit more as the Japanese dictionaries are huge

FYI SD & CF Cards - Size and speed standards increased a lot in the early 2000s. The 2003 Sigmarion III might have missed the boat but could have implemented some "future" specs before they were announced for better performance. I would guess:

>SD Card,
- max storage 2GB
- max speed of 12.5 MB/s (SD1.0)
**note in 2004, 25 MB/s under SD1.1 High Speed (HS). Used in Sigmarion III?

>CF Card
- max storage 128GB (Wikipedia states 512GB are sold on the 1.0 spec too). Who knows what a 2003 gizmo would accept.
- max speed of 16.6 MB/s (The CompactFlash Revision 2.0 was released 2003)
** note in 2004, 66 MB/s under Revision 3.0. Used in Sigmarion III?

> I read that CF Cards are more power hungry than SD Cards are. Not sure if that is true.

> SDHC CF adapter gizmos could be a back-door to boost storage.

> Storage is trial and error IME. For example, the 2005 Axim x51v confirmed to work with SDXC cards (a 2009, Ver3.00 standard), using 256GB "Class 10" SDXC Card from the SD slot (formatted FAT32). This is using a late WM6 ROM. I doubt the "Class 10 speeds would be applicable, however.

FYI bilingual support on Operating Systems- The Dell Axim x51v runs bilingual Japanese & English perfectly on WM6. I don't remember if the buggy WM5 could do that trick (and probably didn't try as it was buggy and slow). WM2003 Can NOT run bilingual; the OS must be set to Japanese ONLY for proper Japanese language support.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 10:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hi. I have some info on EBPocket on Jornada.

One Japanese person seems to have loaded dictionary files from the application using Jornada 690. You can load dictionary format in EPWING.

More info here:
http://kyoro205.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-246.html?sp

I also sell Sigmarion 3, and there is one superb condition one so if you happen to be interested, just PM me. I have not tested EBPocket yet with this device, but I can try it out if you want. One user said that Sigmarion 3 loads dictionary search fast.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-09-28 1:32 PM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 6:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

@stingraze - Thank you for responding here.

That Japanese Jornada blog is helpful and I never would have found it. I really like old HP gear (and owned a bunch of calculators) but the Jornada 720's specs are not so inspiring (esp. the screen & slow CPU).

The Sigmarion III has the nicer screen, "faster" CPU, better external storage, plus perfect Japanese support so really is a better device for dictionaries.

I might be interested in your Sigmarion 3. Let me noodle on this a bit. I'll also ping an old colleague who will have tested EBPocket on this device.

Frankly, a classic device would be a lot more fun than some generic Chinese Blackberry Android gizmo.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 6:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also I had found a bunch of Japanese programs for Windows CE and added them to our program library.
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/search.asp?freetext=Japan+&Search=Search&title=true&tag=true&developer=true
I don’t know if they’ll be useful to you as I haven’t tested them but there’s more software options for you.
Edit: I didn’t add all of those, just some. Including some dictionary ones

Edited by torch 2022-09-28 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 7:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thank you Torch!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-09-29 2:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Sounds good, @AximUser .

@torch Thanks for adding those softwares.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9