x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2022-10-26 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All! Apologies in advance if i should have put this in ce2.0 support, I wasn't sure if this was more general or support, and as I'm not trying to troubleshoot anything I went with general.

So got lucky on an ebay find (Open box upgrade but the romcard was still factory sealed) last week and my HP320LX is now running CE2.0.

Outside of being over the moon about finally being able to upgrade windows, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do with it. Currently i have been using it as an offline word processor (I know literally any other laptop would be better, but there is just something about pulling it out of my pocket and having a little monochrome word processor at my finger tips feels, special)

So yeah, suggestions, recommendations, tips tricks and weirdness is all welcome. I do have a large CF card installed and a nice little Toshiba 320CDS laptop (win95) I use to dock it with so transferring stuff around isn't a problem.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2022-10-28 8:27 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Well done on finding that ROM upgrade!
Yes there is something nice about a pocket size retro word processor with amazing battery life!
If you have outlook on you win95 laptop why not use it as your diary/task list
Its also handy for keeping other info on, since its offline if you put the password protection on anything stored in ROM is pretty secure

Then scour the downloads section and find some games, Pocket paint and maybe an MP3 player :-)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-10-28 7:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-10-29 3:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
If you've got an old phone with IR, c:amie's magical GPRS/IR app will get you on-line. Vaguely. 68k.news, perhaps email if your incoming port can be set to 110.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-29 4:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that @Jake is referring to my modem driver:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200254/availbility_of_the_hpcfactor_generic_infrared_modem_driver

It's not an app really, just a driver
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-10-29 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I guess it is ultimately a driver--though it can produce a nifty icon; it's the only icon on my CE desktop.

Jake
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2022-11-01 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wow, I didn't even know email was a possibility on the old girl. Need to look a little deeper in what the IR port can do on it. Can you get on the internet with it? Heck there are an few BBSs I wouldn't mind hitting if that is an option.

As a side note, as fantablium said about good battery life. Maybe I'm a dummy, but i'm not getting a lot of life out of my nicads. No worse then when i was running CE 1.0 but if someone can recommend a better battery I would be all ears. currently using 1.2v 900 mAh. My hope is to get it to stop complaining about PC cards draining when on battery all I use is a CF card which i feel shouldn't be a huge draw on the power, but i'm worried about low amps maybe corrupting the card.

I'm not sure what Textmaker is but I am curious. I am going to look into totalcomander. Could use a better explorer program.

Also, side note one of my coworkers just handed me a Jornada Keyboard with the original driver disk. If anyone wants to know, works like a charm after installing the driver.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-11-01 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think there's a telnet program for WinCE 2.0, teraterm. That would get you to bbs's; there's one particular bbs-- lynx.scramworks.net --which allows you to use lynx browsing; that's prolly the best way to surf. My experience with eneloop batteries have been good, but any pcmcia card, other than cf, will blow through them. IR connections with my Nokia Communicator 9300 work fine, but you'll need a full-sized SIM card and a generous carrier that hasn't phased out GPRS. TMobile in the USA still works, bizarrely.

If you're looking for a lightweight wp, you could use CE 2.0's own, save as .rtf for easier file swapping. I also recently uploaded a program here called Punctuation 1.0 that allows manuscript syntax in Pocket Word, smart quotes, em dashes, the works.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9