x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New nPOPuk Release + OpenSSL / CE Testers Needed!

« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:15 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

gjcoram - 2022-12-24 10:19 AM

I assume I need 1.1.x to get TLS 1.3?

soju is trying to make nPOPuk work with OpenSSL 1.1.1 and seems getting really close to working. Although making 1.1.1 work on CE 2.11 may tough, I suppose making CE 4.2 or later version that supports TLS 1.3 utilizing the soju's effort is beneficial as it should longer the life of nPOPuk and brings more security improvement and vulnerability fixes, at least for newer devices?

soju - 2022-12-24 10:51 AM

To make the problem simple, ARMv4_009 is commenting out the use of CryptAcquireContextW(), CryptReleaseContext(), CryptGenRandom(), and GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() because I assume your coredll.dll doesn't have those implementation and I just wanted to check others work fine.

Well, currently no evidence says these APIs are to blame. It's confirmed only on SHARP Brain and torch managed to do his first detailed test on ARMv4_008 which these API calls had already been removed. Also, C:Amie noted the following:

C:Amie - 2022-12-18 1:04 AM

CryptReleaseContext and CryptGenRandom have been in CE since CE 2.10 and the interfaces are the same. So it must be a case of the Brain having not been compiled using CE MAXALL and Platform Builder must be dropping the library's from its CEMIN build. They most likely platform generated it without CE security components.

So enable these code blocks again and test whether that works on torch's machine is the next step I suppose. Although GetSystemTimeAsFileTime seems a tough one to deal with, as I couldn't find that on even Windows CE 5.0 docs. You might need to rewrite these code blocks that require the API with supported APIs or remove that component from makefile as gjcoram did on his official build.

torch - 2022-12-24 2:43 PM

2-the amv4_09 version from soju, I’m able to get my email added and I do attempt connection but I keep getting a wifi not connected error message (I tried internet explorer and I can access msn.com and there was a blue network access screen visible during this time )
I’m wondering (and I’m not a developer at all that there’s an issue with soju’s OpenSSL interaction with the internet service connection itself and that’s why it thinks the wifi is disconnected?). Again you know best I’m just trying to think of ideas to help

I suppose this is because soju removed code blocks that require CryptAcquireContextW(), CryptReleaseContext(), CryptGenRandom(), and GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() for the troubleshooting purposes.

DutchComputerKid - 2022-12-24 8:45 PM

Tested the 009 zip just now.
So on my generic 7" HPC, for some odd reason the CPU gets pegged at 100% and nPOPuk just sits there. Tried waiting for an hour but no luck. Not sure why.
Also tried moving the data from the 005 zip over with my mailbox, which did load correctly but again. Updating the mailbox engages some kind of endless loop.
Hourglass appears, nPOPuk gives no status messages what its trying to do and just sits there.
800MHz ARM on CE6, WM8650 chipset.

Same as above.

gjcoram: https://npopuk.org.uk/3.05/dl/npopuk305b2ssl_wce211arm.zip opened on my SHARP Brain PW-SH1 (CE 6.0 with Armv5TEJ) although I can't test its features as this machine is built without networking drivers.

(GetSystemTimeAsFileTime-CE5Docs.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GetSystemTimeAsFileTime-CE5Docs.png (28KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:46 PM
#
Avatar image of DutchComputerKid
Factorite (Junior)

torch - 2022-12-24 12:58 PM
Dutch: have you tried the Npopuk build for ce2.11 arm that gjcoram posted ? Note it’s using a different version of OpenSSL than the ones soju was helping us with

Yes I did, seems to work and connect. Verification still fails, and I cannot send anything due to my main mail provder not allowing my host, as it said before.

Also, with hotmail, it took a while to connect but did succeed in downloading all 1707 emails, given that I also just created an app password for nPOPuk.
On the other hand, sending works perfectly on hotmail/outlook on the CE6 machine!

Verification failed, but thats the first for successful sending/recieving in my case

Edit: I will use hotmail for testing, since I now know that that works just fine.

Edited by DutchComputerKid 2022-12-24 1:50 PM
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

First, please try (1)ARVv4_010_commenting_out. In this release I removed (commented out) some APIs calling from OpenSSL, therefore it won't work well but at least you can confirm nPOPuk runs without dependency issue.

If (1) works, then try (2)ARVv4_010. I did not make any changes to OpenSSL for this. I guess it will work well on most CE devices. However there would be dependency problem of missing APIs (CryptAcquireContextW, CryptReleaseContext, CryptGenRandom, and GetSystemTimeAsFileTime) on some devices such as one of torch's.
If you meet that problem then try (3)ARVv4_010_coredll_hack, whose OpenSSL dlls do not use your system installed coredll.dll, instead it will use bundled coredl2.dll. But I'm not sure if the bundled coredl2.dll works on your device because it is for CE 7.0. I don't have coredll.dll for CE 4.20.

From this release I bundled CA certs (ca.pem).

(1) ARVv4_010_commenting_out
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k2xg88zufyimpzj/AAANnJO5gk09TZZKfJOtXI-ja?dl=0

(2) ARVv4_010
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sssxxkz5ef3zsbd/AADRs37jrI7MrupQIY9ogI1fa?dl=0

(3) ARMv4_010_coredll_hack
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jwpcdxzk2jrozx/AAC_iFCGaVoXs31XN_mpNWuza?dl=0
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

soju: Hmmm, tried all of them just now. None of them actually launch, no error or anything.
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thank you for sharing it.
Changed to original SDK (Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2), and recompiling..
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 3:08 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

(1) ARVv4_011_commenting_out
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jf9hul5lioq93n/AABjfJJ3sKCOC-eWgU2LmTBLa?dl=0
(2) ARVv4_011
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yhbe5efg9ccl7zb/AAAOWxOYQs2acJtBJlA0h9ana?dl=0
(3) ARMv4_011_coredll_hack
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ej0o65hrmb1ttyk/AADfAZJ97YHMQn6zRVfbkTYfa?dl=0

For ARVv4_011 and ARMv4_011_coredll_hack, I leave the call of GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() still commented out because original SDK (Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2) doesn't provide the definition of it. It won't cause fatal issue.
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 3:39 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Right, so:

(1) ARVv4_011_commenting_out
Hangs the subnotebook when it starts to connect. Like I've explained before.

(2) ARVv4_011
Inbox works, outbox works, nothing special. Sends and recieves just fine. Still fails to do the verification thing, error 20 as before.

(3) ARMv4_011_coredll_hack
Does not open, like the _010 files.
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 3:58 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

We'd want to wait for torch's CE 4.2 result, as full CE 6.0 seems have all the required APIs from the start.

The coredl2.dll bundled with coredll_hack version is set its required OS version to 7.00, therefore it's "invalid" for Windows CE 6.0 or earlier. However, I doubt getting a full CE 4.2 coredll.dll will fix the issue as it seems general purpose Handheld PCs are built as complete Windows CE. But again, I think CryptAcquireContextW(), CryptReleaseContext(), and CryptGenRandom() are in usual CE 4.2 or later (or even earlier), except for my special purpose SHARP Brain dictionary.

Just fyi: ARVv4_010_commenting_out (not 011) throws "Undefined Instruction" exception at libcrypto-1-1.dll when I invoke nPOPuk.exe on SHARP Brain. The attached image of Scalpel shows it in 7 lines from the focused line. The last two lines are for ARVv4_011 and this is expected (so don't care about it).

(010-commented-out-exception.png)

(coredl2-peinfo.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 010-commented-out-exception.png (38KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments coredl2-peinfo.png (15KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 4:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay I’m heading into work now but here’s what I’m going to when I’m off either tonight or the next day:
1-hard reset MobilePro 900 : reinstall , get wifi working consistently
2-test soju version 9 with outlook and gmail, report results
3-same for version 10
4-same version 11
5-test gjcoram’s ce 2.11 arm release and report
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just uploaded the set of CE5 binaries (with and without SSL; arm, mips, sh4, x86). I found the old laptop that had eVC4 set up to build for WinCE5. These are on the npopuk web site.

All the SSL versions are still marked "b2" (beta 2) since I haven't seen a confirmation that anyone has gotten them to work. My CE211 device doesn't have wifi or ethernet, and the CE5 Sylvania netbook I had is stuck on "loading OS".
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 10:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

FYI: I cannot test networking support right now, as I was limited on time.
BUT: I had time to give open .exe metrics for testing.
Official Windows CE 5.0 x86 version by gjcoram: OPENS CORRECTLY on Windows CE 6.0 x86 (HP Thin Client t5540)
Official WIndows CE 2.11 MIPS version by gjcoram: OPENS CORRECTLY on CE 3.0 mips (mobilepro 790)
ARMV4_10: DOES NOT OPEN, error result: Windows\Coredll.dll does not support export function with ordinal number 2536, 2528, 2696 & nPOPuk is not a valid Windows CE application
ARMV4_10 commenting out: DOES NOT OPEN, error result: Windows\Coredll.dll does not support export function with ordinal number 2536, 2528, 2696 & nPOPuk is not a valid Windows CE application
ARMV4_10 coredll hack: DOES NOT OPEN, error result: core2dll rquires OS version 7.0, while this device has 4.2 / Cannot find npopuk or one of compoentns make sur epath & filename correcr & all req'd libraries available
ARMV4_11: OPENS CORRECTLY
ARMV4_11 commenting out: OPENS CORRECTLY
ARMV4_11 coredll hack: DOES NOT OPEN, error result:core2dll rquires OS version 7.0, while this device has 4.2 / Cannot find npopuk or one of compoentns make sur epath & filename correcr & all req'd libraries available

Also, CE5.0 binaries for SSL and non SSL added to SCL

Edited by torch 2022-12-24 10:35 PM
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2022-12-25 1:26 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ARMV4_11 commenting out: OPENS CORRECTLY

Thanks! So it sounds like the issues on torch's CE 4.2 device were just
- until ARMv4_006: Couldn't open OpenSSL DLLs as they were built for CE 5.0 or later
- until ARMv4_008: Couldn't open them as they were dependent on __security_gen_cookie
and crypt-related API calls were not a problem (it was just SHARP removed those APIs for my Brain dictionary as C:Amie noted earlier). Now you can test the actual usability including sending and receiving emails with ARMV4_011 on your free time, as this version is reported by DutchComputerKid to work fine except for the verification thing. If this succeeds then gjcoram might be finally able to consider adding OpenSSL 1.1.1 (and hopefully TLS 1.3) support for nPOPuk on CE 4.2 or later!

Edited by watamario15 2022-12-25 3:42 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-25 6:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I keep getting that wifi timed out message on ARMV4_011. I verified with Internet Explorer that I do indeed have internet access.
I checked the log and I get:
Activating wifi device _ query failed
Adapter power off, ssid none conn: no.

When I click connect mail , it says "wifi timed out"

I verified these pop settings as working on the Windows 32bit desktop program
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2022-12-25 8:36 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

torch - 2022-12-25 2:03 PM

I keep getting that wifi timed out message on ARMV4_011. I verified with Internet Explorer that I do indeed have internet access.
I checked the log and I get:
Activating wifi device _ query failed
Adapter power off, ssid none conn: no.

When I click connect mail , it says "wifi timed out"

I verified these pop settings as working on the Windows 32bit desktop program

Hmm, since DutchComputerKid reported that ARMV4_011 worked fine except for the verification, it sounds like your device is facing some networking issues, or CE 4.2 behaves differently for some APIs. I have no advice to give anymore...

However, even if this problem persists, at least we know that CE 6.0 can run the OpenSSL 1.1.1 version. So you (gjcoram) can just put the OpenSSL 1.1.1 version as an option and make an user select a version that works for them?

Edited by watamario15 2022-12-25 12:35 PM
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-25 12:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

The message "wifi timed out" implies your device is trying to communicate on Wifi. However NEC MobilePro 900 doesn't have WiFi, does it? nPOPuk seems to have 2 different implementation to communicate, WiFi and RAS. L31-37 of src/General.h determines which one it takes.
----
#if defined _WIN32_WCE && _WIN32_WCE >= 500
// WiFi functions need CE.NET 4 or greater
#define ENABLE_WIFI
#else
// RAS functions not available in WinCE5
#define ENABLE_RAS
#endif
----

I'm using VCproject in WinCE5_EN/ directory. In this project _WIN32_WCE is set to 501 therefore WiFi implementation is chosen. It may be better to use VCproject in WinCE211_EN/ directory to build for CE 4.2 and enable RAS implementation. I tried and found that many definitions related to RAS aren't available on my environment(VS2008 + WCE7).
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.273 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 11