x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New nPOPuk Release + OpenSSL / CE Testers Needed!

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I had been using OpenSSL 0.9.8x for Windows CE, because I hadn't been able to compile later versions (1.anything) for CE. My last attempt was several years ago; I don't remember what the problem was. I know that I did, at one point, have a strategy of removing problematic source code files from the makefile; then I would see if nPOPuk would link. I suspect there are many files that I could remove from the makefile, but it hasn't been worth the effort to pick through them one by one. It could be that I got a compilation error from a file that nPOPuk needed, and then I just gave up. Today, I noticed that I was getting a warning about a char/int conversion and the compiler flag /WX turned that into an error. I decided to try to allow the warnings, and this worked fine.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you! I’m going to test them tonight and let you know what happens
Also did you have an x86 build you can throw on too by chance? I can test that for you too. Only if no trouble and only like a button click haha.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

In case you're interested, the warning came from the use of this function:
/* Convenience method for unsigned chars. */ static inline unsigned char constant_time_select_8(unsigned char mask, unsigned char a, unsigned char b);

In rsa_pk1.c, function RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_2, "mask" is declared as an "unsigned int" but then on line 292:
em[ i] = constant_time_select_8(mask, em[i + msg_index], em[ i]);

The VS6 compiler complained about the mismatch between "unsigned int" and "unsigned char" (also on line 296).

I see constant_time_select_8 also called in a few other files, but I didn't look at them all.

Edited by gjcoram 2022-12-24 2:12 AM
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I built the X86 OpenSSL .lib files, but WinCE211 doesn't support X86. I don't remember where I built the WinCE5 and WM6 versions of nPOPuk. I have two other old computers I might have used.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Can you Dropbox me the source files and I can compile for ce5.0 x86? I have visual studio 2005 + ce5 sdk
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:19 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

soju - 2022-12-23 6:23 PM
I didn't but it would be good for nPOPuk to add support for TLS 1.3.

What motivated me to pick this up again was that I had nPOPuk set to use TLS 1.0 or 1.1, and my email provider sent me an email saying I needed to move to TLS 1.2 or later. I found that 1.2 is supported in OpenSSL 1.0.2u, but nPOPuk's ssl setup menu didn't list that as an option. If I selected "auto" then I got it, magically!

So, I decided it was time to add a menu item for TLS 1.2. And, while I was at it, fix a couple things in the program itself.

I assume I need 1.1.x to get TLS 1.3?
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

torch - 2022-12-23 9:16 PM

Can you Dropbox me the source files and I can compile for ce5.0 x86? I have visual studio 2005 + ce5 sdk

The source code for nPOPuk is all on the website, including the updated makefiles to compile OpenSSL 1.0.2u.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, thank you, I have 3.05 in the SCL now for what you officially released.
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1906/nPOPuk/nPOPuk/version_3.05
I will work on testing on:
CE3.0MIPS
CE4.2ARMV4
tonight,
then compiling for CE5.0 and testing on
CE6.0x86
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:51 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

If my understanding is correct, using nPOPuk with OpenSSL 1.1.1 or 3.0 is big thema here.
> torch
To make the problem simple, ARMv4_009 is commenting out the use of CryptAcquireContextW(), CryptReleaseContext(), CryptGenRandom(), and GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() because I assume your coredll.dll doesn't have those implementation and I just wanted to check others work fine. If I apply the same change and run nPOPuk for PC, it stops on "SSL connect...". If you see the same, it wouldn't be your wifi problem. I think possible solutions are..
* Using coredll-hack technique.
* Modifying OpenSSL code not to rely on those API.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 2:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

soju - 2022-12-23 7:51 PM

If my understanding is correct, using nPOPuk with OpenSSL 1.1.1 or 3.0 is big thema here.
> torch
To make the problem simple, ARMv4_009 is commenting out the use of CryptAcquireContextW(), CryptReleaseContext(), CryptGenRandom(), and GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() because I assume your coredll.dll doesn't have those implementation and I just wanted to check others work fine. If I apply the same change and run nPOPuk for PC, it stops on "SSL connect...". If you see the same, it wouldn't be your wifi problem. I think possible solutions are..
* Using coredll-hack technique.
* Modifying OpenSSL code not to rely on those API.

Yes - I'll work on that tonight and connect to wifi as well and follow up with you!

Edited by torch 2022-12-24 2:55 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 6:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay here’s an update:
1-I can’t get my vm working right now to compile for you but I’m saving the files aside so I can get that done
2-the amv4_09 version from soju, I’m able to get my email added and I do attempt connection but I keep getting a wifi not connected error message (I tried internet explorer and I can access msn.com and there was a blue network access screen visible during this time )
I’m wondering (and I’m not a developer at all that there’s an issue with soju’s OpenSSL interaction with the internet service connection itself and that’s why it thinks the wifi is disconnected?). Again you know best I’m just trying to think of ideas to help
3-the Npopuk version from gjcoram (thus the official 3.05 release) I get a “can’t find email server error” (but it at least attempts to connect)”. I was using the official .ins config files for email server support
4-I was going to do more work and try more things but the wifi adapter I have or whatever install is setup here I’m running into a lot of issues with the adapter in and out and I have to soft reset to try again
Anyway I’ll have another go at it in the next few days and see what more I can try.
I will:
5-compare Npopuk settings with gmail / outlook settings for pop to make sure they’re correct

Edited by torch 2022-12-24 6:45 AM
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

GMail really wants you to use OAuth, which I haven't figured out; there may be a way to enable an "app password" (I think I set that up for something).

I am still using nPOPuk on my desktop to access Hotmail (my spam/mailing list account), because it's easy to set up filters to delete old messages from mailing lists.

My Jornada 820 (WinCE211) doesn't have ethernet or wifi; I used to use dial-up (I wonder if there are still modems connected somewhere). I think I have a CE5 machine somewhere, but I haven't used it in probably 5 years, since the release of nPOPuk 3.04.

One thing you can try, if you edit nPOPuk.ini in a text editor (or hold <shift> while clicking File > Global Options) and set SocLog=1 (the default is 0), you will get some information in nPOPuk.log (File > Connection > View log).
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 12:45 PM
#
Avatar image of DutchComputerKid
Factorite (Junior)

Tested the 009 zip just now.
So on my generic 7" HPC, for some odd reason the CPU gets pegged at 100% and nPOPuk just sits there. Tried waiting for an hour but no luck. Not sure why.
Also tried moving the data from the 005 zip over with my mailbox, which did load correctly but again. Updating the mailbox engages some kind of endless loop.
Hourglass appears, nPOPuk gives no status messages what its trying to do and just sits there.
800MHz ARM on CE6, WM8650 chipset.

Also;

gjcoram - 2022-12-24 12:29 PM

GMail really wants you to use OAuth, which I haven't figured out; there may be a way to enable an "app password" (I think I set that up for something).

Yes, you need lecagy clients turned on
With a generated app password to log in, as explained inGoogle App Passwords.
To enable older clients, having "less secure apps" access enabled is a must as well.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 12:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

gjcoram: I had app passwords turned on. Let me try that “less secure” setting you mentioned and I’ll follow up. (I’m going to try outlook and gmail )
Dutch: have you tried the Npopuk build for ce2.11 arm that gjcoram posted ? Note it’s using a different version of OpenSSL than the ones soju was helping us with
 Top of the page
soju Page Icon Posted 2022-12-24 1:10 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

> Updating the mailbox engages some kind of endless loop.

> DutchComputerKid
Thank you for trying it. That is what I expected because of commenting out some OpenSSL codes.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10