x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD on NEC MobilePro 790 - Install Issue

« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 4:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2022-12-27 5:19 PM

ArchiMark - 2022-12-28 12:00 AM

Thanks, another step forward I assume...

but still need to connect to net....

So, assume I need to open a browser to get to captive portal page where you click the button to connect to guest network....

Is there browser included that would work for this?

Meanwhile, I booted back in WinCe...window pops up asking me for driver name...

When I open network configuration, i only lists 3 drivers installed on device. None say Ambicom....so, guess this means I'd have to find driver and install it on 790, right?

Definitely...a big one.

OK you've got an SSID. Did it also get a DHCP lease from the router?

I'm not aware of a browser included with the base install.

You're definitely outside my area of expertise with that last question (and I don't know exactly which card you have), but there do appear to be some ambicom cards in the SCL that are listed as compatible with driver downloads available.

I don't think so....was in a bit of a hurry after my prior post....had to wrap up some things at work....

Will check it again and report back....

Without a browser, I don't see how I can fully connect to guest network, where you need to go to the network page with connect button and click it.....

Thanks for the Ambicom card suggestion....
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 4:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

torch - 2022-12-27 5:36 PM

ArchiMark - 2022-12-27 5:00 PM

When I open network configuration, i only lists 3 drivers installed on device. None say Ambicom....so, guess this means I'd have to find driver and install it on 790, right?

See if the model number of the exact one you have is in the HCL. If it’s not, write us the model number and we can see if there’s another card that has the same chipset and you can use its driver and thus provide the driver name upon insertion.
Example: if the cab file installs a dll called “ambicom22223.dll”
Write in ambicom22223 when it asks for a driver name upon PC Card insertion into device

Thanks for your help!

Yes, found file for it...only problem is that it is exe file and not the cab file.

Don't have ActiveSync on my current laptop....and only have laptops with Win 10 on them (besides Manjaro linux which I use mostly....).

Think there's a way to try to extract cab file from the exe file.......

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 4:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ArchiMark - 2022-12-27 9:32 PM

torch - 2022-12-27 5:36 PM

ArchiMark - 2022-12-27 5:00 PM

See if the model number of the exact one you have is in the HCL. If it’s not, write us the model number and we can see if there’s another card that has the same chipset and you can use its driver and thus provide the driver name upon insertion.
Example: if the cab file installs a dll called “ambicom22223.dll”
Write in ambicom22223 when it asks for a driver name upon PC Card insertion into device

Thanks for your help!

Yes, found file for it...only problem is that it is exe file and not the cab file.

Don't have ActiveSync on my current laptop....and only have laptops with Win 10 on them (besides Manjaro linux which I use mostly....).

Think there's a way to try to extract cab file from the exe file.......

There is. Try 7zip or opening the install file and checking your temp folder. Or just tell me what model it is and I’ll upload the cab for you. That way the HCL has the cab for future reference

Try this https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200153/setup_cannot_find_a_version_of_windows_ce_services_on_this_desktop_pc_error_while_attempting_to_extract_cabs_host_installer/
Or
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200056/installing_applications_from_a_host_installer_without_a_connection_to_a_host_pc/

Edit I had a typo. I mean the HCL. Not the SCL. Sorry

Edited by torch 2022-12-28 7:37 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 5:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 7:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hi, please refresh that tab and download the file named wl1100xcf_wince30_v250-inflated.zip
per this page: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200130/windows_ce_processor_id_codes
your Windows CE processor code is "4000" thus utilize the WL1100x.4000.cab for Windows CE 3.0 HPC2000 MobilePro 790

Edit fyi I had some typos I meant the HCL before. Not the SCL

Edited by torch 2022-12-28 7:38 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 1:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks again for your help!

Got the right file and cab file.

Installed it on 790.

Card is recognized and indicator light started blinking.

Haven't been able to connect to my home network yet. Would need to turn off need for password to connect.....

But at least (I think) we know card should work.

Meanwhile, real issue is not having a browser in NetBSD....

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 2:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ArchiMark - 2022-12-28 6:54 AM

Haven't been able to connect to my home network yet. Would need to turn off need for password to connect.....

If you have a raspberry pi I used this
https://linuxhint.com/create-wifi-hotspot-raspberry-pi/
To create a hotspot within the ui (but my pi has Ethernet and usb wireless)
That way I don’t have to mess with the settings on my router
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 2:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2022-12-28 1:54 PM

I've got 9.3 installed now and it's working OK. No X yet, and still experiencing intermittent crashes but it's usable.

I'll let you know as soon as I get X up so you can hop over. Definitely have access to various browsers over there, although I have no idea how well they will run until we get it working. I would hazard a guess that you'd be able to install it pretty easily with all you've done recently!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 2:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

torch - 2022-12-28 6:04 AM

ArchiMark - 2022-12-28 6:54 AM

If you have a raspberry pi I used this
https://linuxhint.com/create-wifi-hotspot-raspberry-pi/
To create a hotspot within the ui (but my pi has Ethernet and usb wireless)
That way I don’t have to mess with the settings on my router

Thanks again for your helpful input....

Funny, I was thinking about this too this morning....as I remembered this is what ol' Joval here did with his J720/Devuan setup...

However, I don't have a r pi, so I'd have to get one...

I do have an ethernet CF card, so, could use that at home....but not at work....

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 2:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2022-12-28 6:23 AM

ArchiMark - 2022-12-28 1:54 PM

I've got 9.3 installed now and it's working OK. No X yet, and still experiencing intermittent crashes but it's usable.

I'll let you know as soon as I get X up so you can hop over. Definitely have access to various browsers over there, although I have no idea how well they will run until we get it working. I would hazard a guess that you'd be able to install it pretty easily with all you've done recently!

That's great news!

Will be great if you can get X up.....keep us posted....

Yes, I should be able to get it running, since I think I'm running out of mistakes you can make with 4.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-30 1:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Quick update- X is definitely broken back through 7. I made a few attempts at installing 5 yesterday and today that didn't go so well. The installer has some serious issues. I still need to try the manual approach that I used for 9.3, but in the meantime I'm going to skip to 5.2. I also have in mind an experiment to simply unpack the X related sets from 4 into 9.3 and see what breaks.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-30 3:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2022-12-29 5:10 PM

Quick update- X is definitely broken back through 7. I made a few attempts at installing 5 yesterday and today that didn't go so well. The installer has some serious issues. I still need to try the manual approach that I used for 9.3, but in the meantime I'm going to skip to 5.2. I also have in mind an experiment to simply unpack the X related sets from 4 into 9.3 and see what breaks.

Sounds like a plan to me.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

5.2 is working like a charm. Going to try 6 next.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2022-12-30 7:15 PM

5.2 is working like a charm. Going to try 6 next.

Excellent!

And there's packages available ?

Fingers crossed for 6 !
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I haven't seen packages for anything older than 8. The goal here is to find the most recent working versions and try to either pull the working pieces forward into the newest version, or compile our own packages for the older version.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10