x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD on NEC MobilePro 790 - Install Issue

« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 7:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi again,

Got 5.2.3 installed last evening, but didn't have time to test it.

Tried booting it up now....

Progress bar has been at about 95% for quite a long time....decided to cancel and then saw error message window:

Fatal Application Error

Application HPCBOOT.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If problem persists, contact the program vendor.

Program: HPCBOOT.EXE
Exception: 0xc0000005
Address: 00012fb4

Tried running pbsdboot1 and got error message that it 'Can't write pbsdboot.ini'.

Tried HPCBOOT again and progress bar went to 50% very quickly then about a minute later up to 95%.

Now after a few minutes seems stuck there....clicked 'Cancel' and got same error message as above.

Tried pbsdboot1 again and clicked OK on error message....after a bit, I see NetBSD booting up!

Got the expected '/etc/rc.conf is not configured message. Multiuser boot aborted.'. Will take care of that.....

Now got # prompt....

But....get message:

/dev/contty: Read-only file system

So, can't edit or do other commands.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

UPDATE

Apparently, read-only is due to not having system configured for multi-user boot.

Did 'mount -u /' and voila! I can edit now....

whew!

Edited by ArchiMark 2023-02-02 7:57 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 8:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, edited rc.conf.....

Got X opened!

Much easier for my ol' eyes to see text in terminal this way....

No scroll bar in xterm....ugghh....

So, would be nice to have another terminal with scroll bar...

Meanwhile, tried doing 'shift' + down arrow to scroll down, but no go.....

How to navigate in xterm?

thanks!
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 10:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'm not sure why xterm starts out with such an awful size. There is probably a way to fix that, but as a temporary measure you can resize the xterm window. In ctwm, this is a strange operation and took me a bit to figure out. What you have to do is touch on the little icon in the upper right corner of the window and then drag over to the edge you want to resize (the top, in our case) and then drag that down toward the bottom of your screen. It is HUGE so it will take a few cycles of drag-down the top and then move the window back to the top of the screen, the resize the top again etc. Let me know if that's not clear or if I missed what you were asking.

Edit: p.s. Now that I think about it, this is probably set in the .xsession or somewhere similar with -geometry. I'll look into how to really fix it later. In the meantime, here's the relevant section from the manual in case my explanation isn't clear:

Windows are resized by pressing the right titlebutton (which resembles a group of nested squares), dragging the pointer over edge that is to be moved, and releasing the pointer when the outline of the window is the desired size. Similarly, windows are moved by pressing in the title or highlight region, dragging a window outline to the new location, and then releasing when the outline is in the desired position. Just clicking in the title or highlight region raises the window without moving it.

Edited by thenzero 2023-02-02 10:41 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 10:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-01-24 5:19 PM

Grab the file attached to this post. Boot up your NetBSD. Log in as root and do:

# pkg_add figlet-2.2.5.tgz

and let's see what happens

Got figlet!

Works!

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 10:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-02-02 10:57 PM

thenzero - 2023-01-24 5:19 PM

Grab the file attached to this post. Boot up your NetBSD. Log in as root and do:

# pkg_add figlet-2.2.5.tgz

and let's see what happens

Got figlet!

Works!

That's great!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 11:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-02-02 2:39 PM

I'm not sure why xterm starts out with such an awful size. There is probably a way to fix that, but as a temporary measure you can resize the xterm window. In ctwm, this is a strange operation and took me a bit to figure out. What you have to do is touch on the little icon in the upper right corner of the window and then drag over to the edge you want to resize (the top, in our case) and then drag that down toward the bottom of your screen. It is HUGE so it will take a few cycles of drag-down the top and then move the window back to the top of the screen, the resize the top again etc. Let me know if that's not clear or if I missed what you were asking.

Edit: p.s. Now that I think about it, this is probably set in the .xsession or somewhere similar with -geometry. I'll look into how to really fix it later. In the meantime, here's the relevant section from the manual in case my explanation isn't clear:

Windows are resized by pressing the right titlebutton (which resembles a group of nested squares), dragging the pointer over edge that is to be moved, and releasing the pointer when the outline of the window is the desired size. Similarly, windows are moved by pressing in the title or highlight region, dragging a window outline to the new location, and then releasing when the outline is in the desired position. Just clicking in the title or highlight region raises the window without moving it.

THANKS for the info!

Meanwhile, I did figure out I could use 'Alt' while holding stylus on the display and then dragging window up to get to bottom of xterm window and to prompt....primitive but worked....
Think this does same thing as what you describe......

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 11:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, ready for emacs now....

Meanwhile, I just ordered some more CF cards so that I can try installing NetBSD on my little Intermec 6651.....probably arrive early next week.....

Thanks.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-03 1:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-02-02 11:01 PM

THANKS for the info!

Meanwhile, I did figure out I could use 'Alt' while holding stylus on the display and then dragging window up to get to bottom of xterm window and to prompt....primitive but worked....
Think this does same thing as what you describe......

Nice! I'll have to try that out.

Hit a bit of a snag with emacs- it depends on perl5 which can't be cross-compiled but it quit with compile errors on the MobilePro. It's on my todo list ^_^
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-03 2:04 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Crossing my fingers about emacs....

Can you also try making a better terminal than xterm?

Also, if possible a simple spreadsheet app.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-03 2:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'll see what I can do
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-03 5:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Excellent, tz....

thanks.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-05 2:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Well I got past the perl hurdle on the mobilepro. Turned out the build had touched (but not built) the tokenizer object file (toke.o) but it was empty, so when it tried to link there wasn't anything there. Removing that file got it re-built normally. Then I was stymied for a day or so by some random disk errors, but now it's happily building away! Hopefully it will finish quickly and I will be able to get emacs built!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-05 5:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thinking positive!

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-05 5:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

BOOM!

Perl is done. Emacs is building.

Edited by thenzero 2023-02-05 5:26 PM

(3E705D49-E1CB-4C84-89A0-50B849B0E3D9.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3E705D49-E1CB-4C84-89A0-50B849B0E3D9.jpeg (304KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-05 6:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

EXCELLENT!

Fingers still crossed....

Top of the page
« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9