x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IE cache and downloads - what gives?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What's the file size threshhold to bypass the cache when downloading using IE?

I can download 100+ Mb files direct to network without adjusting my ram allocation. But I'm tired of adjusting my ram to download smaller files. (The file cannot be written to cache error.)

Can anyone explain the disparity? Or what size file will bypass the cache and be written direct?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 5:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ah, well for want of a better word, network transactions are unbuffered, where as the MSPIE ones are buffered into the Cache before being dropped into the file system (meaning you need 2x the space of the file in RAM).
Microsoft issued a patch for PPC2002 (I think it was 2002, may have been early 2003's run) that changed the action so that it wouldn't run certain files into the cache. I don't seem to ahve this update anywhere and can't find it... but I doubt it'll work on a H/PC.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 6:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, thanks. I figured something like that was the reason. That's another good reason for me to use NF3. It's unbuffered and writes straight to disk, local or net, even with 0 free ram.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9