x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A Call for Help: Debian.

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 2:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are a couple of snaps here for anyone who wants to 'see it' (Debian). PS's link is currently down
http://www.dodes.org/sh/ce
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 5:06 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Isn't the reason for Jlime because dodes died?

-Those are some nice pictures, my old digital camera can't measure up to those well-lit photos. Heh.

Is there a Windows nfs server? I am sick of the fact that Slackware will simply not start the nfs server. I do not want to get a book to do this.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

how do you mean Slack doesn't starts nfs server?. maybe you need to emerge install the server tools??

and yes, Jlime started because there's no other good sh3 distro that is current and fitted to the Jornadas

Edited by matrixcore 2005-09-18 10:38 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 9:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, the nfs server starts. Either with an error message because it cannot be configured with standard procedures or it just turns on silently. Then I try to connect to the nfs server from another pc which either gets crashed or a permission denied. If that computer is set up in /etc/hosts.allow it just crashes. Or in my pc case, it says mount: unknown filesystem 'nfs'. ARGH
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry for double posting, some "script timed out" message appeared and i thought it haven't been posted, so i resent it.

Edited by matrixcore 2005-09-22 10:06 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If the nfs server crashes, then you could just recompile it from source, so it'll work.

If your remote pc says "unknown filesystem" while trying to mount it, then it means that your kernel has no support for it, you need to re-compile it enabling NFS v4 and v3 support in the filesystem config section.

As far as i know, windows can only use SMB, CIFS and i think there's some support for Netware. so your best bet would be to fix the Linux NFS system.

I've told you already, i suggest you use Gentoo, after you install it almost everything works automagically also you could have some intermediate level of support from me
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-23 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hahahaha. Ok, well I have a 6gb partition on my pc that I can test gentoo on. Excellent idea on recompiling the nfs server, I never thought of that. What I DID think of though was recompiling the kernel. No joy. I guess 2.6.10 is stupid or something, because I enabled NFS 3 and 4, then just 3. Same problem.

-I am officially out of money. Either I get an nfs server working, or the project will have to go on HOLD until I get a microdrive, which could be way out in December. So lets hope I get the server working.

-Matrixcore, do you know anything about cross-compiling? It would let me avoid using the nfs server to compile on my 720.... (I am missing libraries and do not know how to add them...apparently dragging and dropping doesn't work)
 Top of the page
karloch Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 7:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-09-24 3:58 AM
-Matrixcore, do you know anything about cross-compiling? It would let me avoid using the nfs server to compile on my 720.... (I am missing libraries and do not know how to add them...apparently dragging and dropping doesn't work)

Maybe that this page has useful info for you as well as a complete set of tools for cross-compiling for ARM devices using C or C++.

It looks like this toolset was built mainly to cross-compile Kernel 2.6 for ARM devices, but it can be useful to compile anything that you want. In order to get working additional libs, you should get the source code of the libs and then compile it with the cross-compiler... Although it is not an easy task...
 Top of the page
ProgramSynthesiser
ProgramSynthesiser Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 2:31 PM
#
I have looked at that page before and others, and I tried both compilers on that page. I did see a page a while back that tells you how to make your own cross-compiler, I just never devoted the time to learn it. I kind of assumed that because those were the major cross-compilers that everyone used, that they would have the most basic libraries.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah. Well, today I decided: "Screw it. I am installing gcc" So, I installed gcc, and started to compile Pine. It didn't work, naturally. The error was strange, cc had simply killed itself. It did not take me long to figure out that my 720 did not have enough ram available for the compile. So I restarted, ran the compile, and 30 minutes later, I HAVE PINE! WOOT!

-End of 720 Compiling Adventure 1. To be continued.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I am now working on compiling ipkg for the 720, as it does not seem that binaries work (library incompatibilities, I think Sarge is too new. )

EDIT: The compile is going well, it seems that this uses much less ram than Pine did (it bounces from 3.8mb for 6.2 constantly).

If this works, I will have access to lots of binaries MADE for portable devices, which is a good thing.

In addition to that, everything I need to get X running.

-Sometimes, it is worth the risk.

EDIT2: It compiled and installed successfully.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-10-09 12:14 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, ipkg was mysteriously not working, so I checked through the entire fs of Familiar. Turns out, there was an ipkg folder in there, and one file, arch.txt

It was a mysterious file, as many go, only consisting of the arcane commands:

arch all 1
arch any 6
arch noarch 11
arch arm 16
arch all 21
arch arm 26
arch jornada720 31
arch jornada720 36

Well, I typed them into my 720, ran the ipkg command without much hope, and suddenly - all these package names went flying by the screen! YEAH!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 2:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I installed some stuff for X, the server itself is working, but matchbox does not seem to want to work with it. There was a startx script somewhere...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It's still not working - I am trying to get kernel 2.6 back onto my pc so that I can plug the cf right in, and copy the graphical interface right from some other system. After that, I will search for a few more packages that I want, will clear the card off, and start over - this time using ipkg as much as possible to get a very small system. My goal for the console-only is still 128mb...at the moment it goes over that by about 20mb, and I still want a few more apps in it.

In the future, I would like to look into an installer script for CE or Windows, with some sort of package system (moving all the programs into slackware .tgz's is an idea) so that users can choose what they want to install. Until then, it isn't a full-fledged distribution.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the 2.6 kernel?!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-10 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I got the system size down to a new low of 96mb, WITH the ipkg lists.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.158 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10