x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mobilepro 790 virus

flamin
flamin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 6:59 PM
#
could my 790 get a virus and if so could I put norton anti virus on it?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

While it is theoretically possible, in reality I've never known anyone to get any type of virus on these things. And there are no poplular common virus protector programs out there for HPCs.

I wouldn't worry about it all....

Rich (throwing caution to the wind....)
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:23 PM
#
Rich Hawley - 2005-08-11 5:18 PM

While it is theoretically possible, in reality I've never known anyone to get any type of virus on these things. And there are no poplular common virus protector programs out there for HPCs.

Now somebody's going to do it just to prove you wrong.. and then we are going to beg that someone to write a web browser for us
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116944,00.asp

This is the first, and as far as I know, only known Windows CE virus. It never got in to the wild - they basically wrote it as a proof of concept to show that CE 4.x was vulnerable to malicious coders. I don't think there are any viruses for SH3 or MIPS based CE devices.

Basically, there aren't enough Windows CE units with regular Internet connections for malicious coders to bother. Similar reason why you don't see many MacOS or *nix viruses. There aren't enough computers to make it worth developing a virus for MacOS (unless you're just bored, which some people are). As for *nix, a virus binary that could infect any conceivable platform it landed on would be massive.
 Top of the page
Andrew2
Andrew2 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 7:57 PM
#
Rich Hawley - 2005-08-11 5:18 PM

I agree there is not much to worry about. nobody in the right mind will bother to make a windows CE virus. It will not affect enough computers to be worth it.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Funny; but that was my first question on this site. Don't worry about it. If you want, you can do a search and find other threads that have more info.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 2:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The only thing you have to worry about is some poorly written software fowling up your HPC, allmost like a virus....requiring a hard reset , lol....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 6:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to HPC2000 support
 Top of the page
Scarlet~Witch
Scarlet~Witch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 11:43 PM
#
hi y'all! i found this when i was looking for a decent freeware antivirus program for my desktop.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_pda.html his is an antivirus program for palm os or win ce.

it isn't freeware but hey if your that concerened it'd be worth it. as it stands i am seriously contemplating paying trhe dough and getting the desktop upgrade. the version on my desktop now is the free version & it is awesome!
g'luck!!
Ciao!
Scarlet
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

don't waste your money on an antivir soft for CE! at least this is my opinion since no actual viruses have been written for CE...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 3:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have an old CE software collection CD called "WinCE Tools" that has a freeware antivirus program on it called "pc-cillin for Pocket PC." It says that it's compatible with CE 2.11. I assume that means it will work on H/PCs as well as Palm-size PCs running 2.11. I also assume from the name of the program that it also works on CE 3 devices. (Haven't used it yet, and hope never to have to.)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-10-22 3:24 AM
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 10:04 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

And the BitDefender Antivirus for HPCs.

But don´t forget that antivirus on HPC and PPC are only a form to make money.
The PC virus can run in our SO. And if we suposse someone do a virus for PPC or HPC this virus never can entry browsing web. And it need the actuation of the user to write files. All CE SO have a different structure than Windows 98/XP. All HPC/PPC sites always said antivirus for HPC/PPC are only programs to make money. . The virus for PPC/HPC are primitive. Virus for HPC/PPC are really simple programs with malicious intentions.If you don´t move it to startup, windows or execute directly never do nothing.

This is the official Alert Antivirus site in Spain with the Police Informatic Department collaboration about virus for CE:
http://alerta-antivirus.red.es/virus/busca_virus.html?control=%5Btype+Function%5D&nMenu=0&buscar=Buscar&nombre=wince

And the Pocketmagazine virus list:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/virus/virus.htm

We dont need Antivirus.

Edited by hpcpro 2005-10-22 10:14 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 4:17 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

A virus really isn't a problem on a platform where you can just reinstall the system software by unplugging the battery...

Besides, if you get one, just plug it into activesync, and delete the malicious file manually. There aren't many files, so it wouldn't be hard to find.

*nix could definitely get viruses, but the main reasons why it rarely does are:
a) binary programs cannot just execute themselves unless if you spectifically make a root script to do so, and to run a program in a directory, you have to type sh before running it, or ./ so that *nix knows to run THAT program, and not the one in /usr/bin, etc. So by typing a system program, you will not run the possibly malicious one in the directory you are in, you would have to run the virus on purpose.

And
b) Unless if you are crazy, you do not do your normal work as root, but as a user. So if you execute a virus, it only looks for and infects binaries in your home folder, which you should not have anyways, as they are all in the root folders. So the virus would just die. You also could not make a script to automatically run a program without being as root anyways, so a virus really would not have a chance to DO anything, unless if the system administrator is...dumb

So there you have it, why viruses do not happen often on *nix systems. Common sense.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10